Author Topic: Calling all suburban snipers  (Read 16037 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
Re: Calling all suburban snipers
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2008, 11:46:03 PM »
Many cities use oaks for street trees, squirrel's eat the acorns which are high in tannic acid and makes the meat bitter. Freinds have mentioned the same thing with deer.

I thought that's what they ate in the woods too but maybe it's different oaks. Reds oaks taste bad and white oaks taste good. I look for rounded leaves in the woods and not pointy ones when I hunt. Squirrels around here eat black walnuts and hickory nuts too. That stuff on the outside of black walnuts is nasty and they have to chew through it. Maybe that affects the meat too but I was thinking city = garbage, and they are rodents. Now I realize there's more to it.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Teresa Heilevang

• The "Other Halloway"
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Don't make me call the flying monkeys! DRTV Ranger
    • The Perfect Touch
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2008, 11:46:12 PM »
Its amazing.  You give a rat a bushy tail and they are cute and good to eat.  BBQ raccoon is much tastier, and you can bait them with cat food.

Yep.. I hunt , clean , cook and eat those too.. ;)
But I still like squirrel better. Our critters around here eat good stuff.. ...meat is excellent.
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History ! "

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2008, 11:50:23 PM »
My mom cooked a coon for my dad once and he wouldn't eat it. He said it looked like a dog on a platter. She should have cut it up first. I think I'll go squirrel hunting next week and any I get can stew and simmer until they're tender. They're too chewy grilled.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2008, 09:19:24 AM »
I've had to rewire my phone lines twice due to squirrel damage in the attic. So first I got this.

Air Force Talon SS, 22, using Beeman Kodiak, 21.8 grn pellets, it shoots really well, 3/4" 5 shot groups at 50 yards.
But is too loud. And up close, the scope is too high above the muzzle, 25yard zero, it shoots 8" low at 20'.

Now I use a TC Contender carbine in .22lr, using Aquila, Colibri's, 20 grn bullet at 300 fps, very quiet, like using a suppressor, and put behind the ear, or in the back of the neck, drops them with one shot. I'm up to 68 squirrels in the last 3 years.

Being urban tree rats I just chunk them, although my wife has forgotten to put up the bird food, and I've got some fat squirrels due that, may be good eating.

I thought those would not fire properly in a rifle? Is there something I am missing here? They have a disclaimer that they will not cycle a semi auto or may even get logged in a rifle barrel, and thus should only be shot in a pistol?
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2008, 09:21:10 AM »
Many cities use oaks for street trees, squirrel's eat the acorns which are high in tannic acid and makes the meat bitter. Freinds have mentioned the same thing with deer.

I dont eat them either.... I just throw them back into the woods
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 03:48:51 AM »

CJS3

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2008, 11:30:50 AM »

I thought those would not fire properly in a rifle? Is there something I am missing here? They have a disclaimer that they will not cycle a semi auto or may even get logged in a rifle barrel, and thus should only be shot in a pistol?

You have to manually cycle the action (unless it's a bolt or level action). If you're in the city limits and they have laws against discharging a firearm, you could be the object of unwanted LE attention. I have first hand knowledge of this. Fortunately the LEO was more interested on where he could get some of the ammo, and suggested that in my neighborhood I should switch to a pellet gun.
Children, pets, and slaves are taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2008, 02:54:33 PM »
Aguila does have that warning on their website, but in the TC or My Marlin 39a, have had no problems, it does not have the warning on the boxes of ammo I have.  It's really funny, with the 39a, with a scope, you can see the bullets before they hit the target.   This at about 20'.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

tumblebug

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2008, 03:29:33 PM »
 Not UUs again?

DesertMarine

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2008, 05:14:42 PM »
Gamo makes a suppressed air rifle.  Velocity is around 1200 fps.  I have a Gamo, unsuppressed, very accurate with a Bushnell 4X scope.  Excellent for scary the hell out of cats at about 40 yds.  Makes a loud noise when you hit the cat in the ribs, they jump about two feet and never see them again.  I have seen the cats afterwards but never come into my yard.  No squirrels in my area, hell, no trees.
DesertMarine

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2008, 05:23:55 PM »
Funny thing is guys...I feed the squirrels around here every morning.  Sunflower seeds, must be at least a dozen that show up every am.  Heck, Strech doesn't even bother to chase them anymore!
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk