Author Topic: September-Oct Shooting Schedule  (Read 2855 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
September-Oct Shooting Schedule
« on: September 13, 2020, 12:19:20 PM »
Usually my shooting schedule is spread out, but because of the "virus" things are compressed this year.

I try to shoot an indoor league every Thursday night.  (IDPA except for the 2nd Thursday of the month, then USPSA)
I traditionally shoot the GSSF Nationals and RiverBend matches.   USPSA Nats were nearby in Taladega and the GA State is at my home range. 
I'd love to work in one more Bullseye to get classified and then start Shooting Steel, but that'll be in Nov and Dec I think.

What all this is telling me, is that I do like shooting my revolvers and the only gun I really need is a better USPSA Production gun.  Have thought about it and probably get a P320 Legend X5.  Would love the CZ Shadow, but don't want to take on another manufacturer's gun and accessories.  The P320 I have is a compact, good for IDPA SSP.  Sometime it's just fun to swap divisions and show everyone I can shoot something else.

I had a 3x5 card with all the dates, but I thought I'd post something fancy and keep it up-to-date on progress.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

tombogan03884

Re: September-Oct Shooting Schedule
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 06:27:31 PM »
Cz is awesome. I now have 3 of them.
an 82/83 , 75, and a 75 Compact, and the 97 is on the radar.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 567
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 07:11:16 AM »
Alf, I really like the P320 X5 and the Canik TP9.  The Sig will have a larger sight radius and the Canik is less bulky.   The P320 seems easier to maneuver and control despite being a little larger.  Some of that difference is that the Canik doesn't have the magwell and the Sig does. I have never looked for a Canik magwell....

Tom, you will love the 97.  It seems as though these guns come in batches...and there appears to be a batch of 97's out there!  Billt made a great recommendation to replace the plastic spring guide with a stainless spring guide.  I forget where he told me to buy one...but I did.  It may have been Cajun Gun Works or some name similar...Bill are you out there? 

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 10:20:45 AM »
2020 GA USPSA State match is in the books.

Hats off to a well run and fun match.

Here's what they did.  12-14 person squads, all day Friday shoot for the RO/SOs and volunteers.
Then Saturday and Sunday were 7 man squads, 1/2 day to shoot.  So there were 2 groups on each day.  I shot Sunday morning.  First shot at daybreak, 7:30, and we finished stage 10 by 11:40!!!

They had 5 volunteers on each bay:  RO, Asst RO(scorekeeper), & 3 pasters.    No pasting!  That was weird.  In fact, only the current shooter was allowed downrange to observe scoring.   Just sit and wait your turn.  I barely got 3,000 steps shooting 10 stages. 

This will set some precedence in running a match.  It moved quickly and smoothly.   Since the same crew ran the stage every time, they knew the course of fire, the pitfalls and how to quickly score it.   The shooter could just concentrate on their planning, and I found that I was very confident going into each stage.  I had the stage brief, the 4 min walkthrough and then the time up until I shot, to plan out what I was going to do.   Only the "next" shooter was allowed in the shooting area during the scoring and it helped a lot have those couple of minutes to yourself.

And they were good stages.  No memory or peek-a-boo stages.  All well laid out, well explained and each presenting a challenge about positioning, reloading and sequence of attack.  All 24+ rounds, no short courses.  Since I bring home all my moon clips I counted and I expended 272 rounds.  Got all the steel on the first shot. 

I was first revolver...   Okay there were only two of us.   I finished 301/309 overall.  Finished as high as 275 on one stage.   I'm starting to get the hang of USPSA (speed over accuracy), but I still like being accurate.  I was 55th in number of "A" hits, which isn't necessarily good for hit factor.  I need to learn to give up some "A"s for some speed.  The rain in Dawsonville on Friday hurt those shooters.  My two buddies David and Ted didn't finish that much higher than I when they should have been in the middle of the pack.

I'm looking forward to the monthly matches now.  And I may have to give serious thought to moving to Production.  Oh wait, that would mean a new gun.
Will work for ammo

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 09:48:41 AM »
SO THE FALL COMPETITION ODYSSEY COMES TO AN END.

Didn't finish as strong as I'd like.  Had some high points.  Disappointed didn't get to shoot ICORE the last 2 months and will not have a Postal Match entry.

There are still the monthly level 1 matches and the GSSF Indoor league.  I'm going to do revolver IDPA and USPSA through the end of the year.  Then switch to SSP and Production come January.  Fun time.

Thanks for reading along. 
Will work for ammo

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:03:59 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk