Author Topic: AR15 Parts Failure/Breakage  (Read 5197 times)

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: AR15 Parts Failure/Breakage
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2021, 08:51:55 PM »
kinda, sorta AR failures... my Atchisson style .22lr conversion in my SBR broke a firing pin the other day, and I replaced it with one from Bore Buddy...the Bore Buddy pin is designed well, with a radius at the front step transition, strike end cone shaped to allow hammer to strike closer to the center line, and the actual point is not a typical chisel strike, but a flat not rounded circular impact just under the rim where it does not need to indent the double thickness of brass at the rim, but hits where the priming compound it located... really smacks the case

stuck a Volquartsen trigger, hammer, sear into the MK IV couple of weeks ago... VQ firing pin installed today... I think I'm about done with the Steel Challenge pair....

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2021, 07:14:41 AM »
Atchisson style?  OK.  Educate me.  I have a couple of CMMG conversion devices.  How do they differ?
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2021, 09:33:03 AM »
I use the term Atchisson as a generic for the drop in units that replace an AR bolt and carrier... I think it was the original producer used in the USAF .22lr conversion units...my two conversion units are CMMG B (stainless)... Ive had exceptional warranty service from CMMG... they went out of their way to replace an old Parkerized type A unit...

I'm shooting a little over 1000 rounds a month now that ammo is available, even though it is expensive, so reliability is becoming a concern...you get to throw out only one bad string per course of fire in Steel Challenge... I switched to the CMMG unit in my SBR as the modular 10/22 based unit I built didn't give the reliability with the new production rotary magazines compared to what I had with those in the mid 90's... full disclosure the receiver for that build was not a factory Ruger product

gratuitous picture from Rimfire Central site

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1222633

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2022, 05:51:53 AM »
Jonathan Arthur Ciener used to make Atchisson conversion devices back in the day, up to at least a MKIII. They were just like the military versions as far as I know. If I recall correctly they also sold silencers. Here are a couple of pics of vintage Atchisson devices that still come up for sale or auction sometimes.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2022, 06:10:38 AM »
Thanks Frank.  It looks a lot like the CMMG unit...or vice versa.

I never went to the Rimfire Central website link.  Les is that you with the short little Ruger?

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 03:21:32 AM »

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2022, 09:48:23 PM »
Rastus... I built a 10/22 Charger with a PMACA chassis for a proof of concept, but my Steel Challenge rim fire optic rifle (a couple of pictures probably on the Rimfire Central site) is my registered SBR, an AR lower with LaRue MBT trigger, and  a CMMG stainless collar conversion unit with a CMMG 9" dedicated barrel... generic hand guard with a home made flash can to get a little more muzzle away from my hand (and it doesn't clog with lead)... I use Black Dog sonic welded magazines with stainless feed lips... currently a Holosun 510cg (I really like the green circle dot combo for the reticle)... runs on CCI standard velocity

I cut a 16" CMMG barrel down to around 10", and use a longer fore end with 1913 rail for rimfire irons division... a Striplin flip up fiber optic (pricey) and carry handle rear sight with the small aperture opened up to about .153"... I'm trying to squeek into A class with the optic gun (.11 seconds out)... 

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2022, 12:22:48 AM »
So you like this Holosun 510 https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019944962?pid=939932 over the Holosun 507 https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022945810?pid=706100

Is it the field of view you like better or ?????  I'm not up on these sights at all but methinks I should have one.

Edit:  Oops.  I got it.  One for a pistol the other rifle/carbine.

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2022, 04:21:22 PM »
Rastus... the 510c has a very large view area and I don't have to search for the dot as I do on smaller lens red dots...the large slanted concave lens keeps the dot centered... I have 3... two red and the newer one is a green... the solar cell adjusts for the brightness of the Fla sun, and the "shake awake" function turns the dot off after about 10min of non use, .. I use the quick detachable mount...green light is close to the center of the visible light spectrum, and I think that is why I am liking it more every time I shoot it...on the closer eye relief of the rifle, I adjust the intensity down a little and make the reticle's image slightly transparent

the 510 looks funny on the Ruger MK IV pistol, but it works for the same reason... I can pick up the dot quicker...

I use the circle+dot reticle for the rifle, but dot only for the pistol... I perceive that with the extended eye relief using the pistol with extended arms, I loose the distinction of a precise aiming point as the circle+dot tends to look like a large dot

if I want a larger dot, I turn the intensity up and the 2moa dot blooms... I get a year's use out of a 2032 cell... time to change in October... regards Les

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2022, 02:43:45 PM »
short comment... shot an 8 stage Steel Challenge match Sunday... most likely my last as it makes for a long day, and I've developed a weird sleep pattern.. did manage to cut 1.1s off my Outer Limits time, which gets me an A card in Rimfire Rifle Optics... think I'll shoot the Ruger MKIV in Irons for practice Friday... regards

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2022, 04:18:33 PM »
My 10/22s have done well and felt no need to use an AR platform for .22lr.

Les, I shot all 8 stages SC at River Bend Sunday.  It does make a long day. 
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk