Author Topic: 3 Inch .45 ACP AR-15 Pistol Upper  (Read 5291 times)

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
Re: 3 Inch .45 ACP AR-15 Pistol Upper
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2021, 08:14:39 AM »
None of the above and, what’s a pincus?  😂

Has anyone followed this gun development?  He keeps talking about how it is going and that it is "almost ready," but very little that I can figure out.  When I attempt to follow, it seems like it  is just a production gun with a few customizations.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Timothy

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2021, 08:51:04 AM »
Has anyone followed this gun development?  He keeps talking about how it is going and that it is "almost ready," but very little that I can figure out.  When I attempt to follow, it seems like it  is just a production gun with a few customizations.

After my online kerfuffle with the Pincus, I don’t know anything since he left the Best Defense.  I recall he was trying to make a gun like the 5.7 but someone beat him to it...

tombogan03884

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2021, 08:53:05 AM »
Like what?  Say it....

:D

Or "Old but cool" as in Bren 10.    ;D

tombogan03884

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2021, 08:56:51 AM »
After my online kerfuffle with the Pincus, I don’t know anything since he left the Best Defense.  I recall he was trying to make a gun like the 5.7 but someone beat him to it...

He find some new coat tails to ride ?

Dirty Bob

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Usual Suspect
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2021, 09:26:05 PM »
Blowback pistol ARs are not the most pleasant gun to shoot, as you have a heavy bolt and buffer bouncing back and forth. Recoil is more than some folks may expect. That said, a blowback AR is a fun project, though I would want a longer barrel — maybe 8-10 inches — to get more velocity than my P97DC generates.

The main pros of a PCC AR, as I see them, are:
1. Can practice with an AR at ranges that don’t allow rifle calibers.
2. During normal times, ammo may be cheaper than 5.56mm.
3. Pistol calibers are easier to reload, and blowback ARs can use (cheap) cast lead boolits.
4. Less blast is generally helpful when introducing beginners.
5. PCCs suppress much better than rifle caliber pistols.
6. May be faster and more accurate than a holster pistol, depending on the shooter and how the AR is set up.

Some cons:
1. In absolute terms, is less effective than a rifle caliber.
2. Some blowback ARs aren’t all that pleasant to shoot (a 3-inch .45 ACP is probably in this group).
3. If your budget is limited, there are likely better choices in an AR.

I don’t hate pisrol-caliber ARs, within their limits, but a 3-inch .45 isn’t for me.
-------------
Maker, tinkerer, general nerd

"Can't stop the signal, Mal." - Serenity (2005)

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 03:11:43 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2021, 08:38:55 AM »
Blowback pistol ARs are not the most pleasant gun to shoot, as you have a heavy bolt and buffer bouncing back and forth. Recoil is more than some folks may expect.

It's a result of being a "pistol".

The advantage of the $200 SBR tax is that you can use a longer buffer tube and spring and reduce the impact of the bolt.
That, in full auto, is how constant recoil works.

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2021, 12:54:17 PM »
I shot a 16" AR9 for USPSA PCC division for a couple of years as a straight blow back, and for the last year and a half prior to the Wuhan Virus a radially delayed bolt system... even with the radially delayed bolt, a fairly good muzzle brake, a hydraulic buffer, shooting 142 power factor hand loads, it still "recoils" more than a 5.56 in the same gun configuration... just not the muzzle blast

I have an around 7" AR9 pistol, that was a proof of concept project that led to the Recover Tactical 2020 brace with the G17.3.... the G17 provided the same results with a much smaller foot print...Les

tombogan03884

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2021, 08:13:36 PM »
I don't remember anyone talking about buying one of those. :)

I think USCCA "won" the last toss.   ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk