Author Topic: Kel-Tec P50 5.7×28mm Pistol  (Read 5818 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
Kel-Tec P50 5.7×28mm Pistol
« on: January 15, 2021, 04:16:50 AM »
The new Kel-Tec P50 is a 5.7×28mm blowback-operated semi-automatic pistol. It feeds from FN P90 magazines which are inserted upside down. It looks like the upper is the "pistol" and the lower is just the grip and fire control group. Kel-Tec says they have no intention of creating any braces or other accessories for the P50. It has two QD sling mounts on it, one on the butt and one above the beavertail.  With a sling attached it can consistently hit accurate shots from ranges up to 100 yards. The 9.6″ barrel is threaded 1/2"-28, and the weight unloaded is 3.2 pounds. I don't see any sights but it has Picatinny rails top and bottom. It's 2" wide with an overall length of 15". Maybe not your new EDC but interesting nonetheless. The MSRP is $995 and they're supposed to be shipping sometime during the first quarter.

https://www.keltecweapons.com/firearms/pistols/p50/

ETA: It looks like the little beavertail on the grip is the barrel latch. I think you would pull it down with your thumb.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
Re: Kel-Tec P50 5.7×28mm Pistol
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 04:20:31 AM »
First look: short article.  https://www.ballisticmag.com/2021/01/05/keltec-p50-pistol-first-look/?vgo_ee=uyhOr9tNhhGjPVYCCzwKrulMALkJ78iv5NApkuHH%2FIc%3D

I flipped this picture over so you can get a better idea of what it looks like loading the P50.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 09:22:29 AM »
5.7 lost all purpose when NATO quit worrying about Soviet parachutists.
The only thing it does better than 22 LR is armor penetration, otherwise it's useless.
A design to compensate for poor training .

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 10:42:23 AM »
I think it still is very useful as a varmint round.   It can produce 3 times the energy of most .22WMR.  It was designed as a pistol round from the get go.   This gun has to it's advantage the 50 round mag in a compact package.   

Remember the old saying about Henry rifles back in the day?   Load on Sunday.   Shoot all week.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 08:41:10 PM »
It is an easy to control round which has benefits and it's 50% faster than a 22LR out of the muzzle.  The bullets are overall better quality than 22LR and the plastic tip 40 grain version expands reliably.  For women who lack the upper body strength it's an easy round to rack in a semi-auto as opposed to a 9MM or .380.  Also the feed reliability is better than anything 22LR for a couple of reasons, one it isn't dirty burning powder gumming up the action and two it's rimless so it feeds much better than the rimmed 22LR.  It also doesn't light up the sky and blind you like most of the 22 mag rounds loaded with rifle powder.

But it is more like a 22LR and less like a 9MM with the small plastic tip bullets so over-penetration is not as big a concern as other centerfire rounds. 

It's my wife's go to gun at the house.  If there was a smaller framed version I'm sure she'd be carrying it.

As far as effectiveness, Nidal Hasan had a 30% mortality rate on his victims. 
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:39:58 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 09:39:06 AM »
I think it still is very useful as a varmint round.   It can produce 3 times the energy of most .22WMR.  It was designed as a pistol round from the get go.   This gun has to it's advantage the 50 round mag in a compact package.   

Remember the old saying about Henry rifles back in the day?   Load on Sunday.   Shoot all week.

Actually it was never intended for pistol. It was designed for the FN p 90 to REPLACE the pistol because the troops can't hit shit with a hand gun.
Like with the BAR/ M-14 they keep trying the same failed ideas over and over.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 10:10:32 AM »
Rastus has experience with this round, and others may as well.  My question on many of these pistols is the powder burn.  Will there be a complete, or near complete, powder burn before the bullet leaves the muzzle? 

I have gathered at the range with friends and similar handguns.  Guns with the same caliber, but varying barrel lengths.  If you shoot at dusk you will see the difference in muzzle flash.  A couple of us have also chronographed a couple variations.  There is a difference in muzzle velocities.

Some loss isn't always a bad thing, as long as the terminal result is optimal.  However, I believe some of these guns are designed for marketing reasons over efficiency.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2021, 11:52:55 AM »
Actually it was never intended for pistol. It was designed for the FN p 90 to REPLACE the pistol because the troops can't hit shit with a hand gun.
Like with the BAR/ M-14 they keep trying the same failed ideas over and over.

Still developed for a short-ish barrel with fast burning powder as compared to .22wmr.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2021, 05:09:34 PM »
That thing is ugly
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2021, 08:16:46 PM »
That thing is ugly

Kel-Tec is not known for beauty or fit and finish.  To me they always look and handle like a piece of furniture that was assembled after the first rough cut with no sanding.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk