Author Topic: Now I want a 3d printer  (Read 4313 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
Re: Now I want a 3d printer
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2021, 05:56:27 AM »
Bear with me, as I know nothing about this process. But if you 3D print something out of metal. Do you have to sinter it, (heat treat it), so it has strength? Much like they do carbide inserts for cutting tools. They are pressed into a die from powdered metal. As they come from the press you can all but crumble them with your fingers. However, once they have been through the sintering process, they are almost as hard and tough as a diamond. (72+ Rockwell C). Is this the same deal?

BAC

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2021, 06:09:18 AM »
Bear with me, as I know nothing about this process. But if you 3D print something out of metal. Do you have to sinter it, (heat treat it), so it has strength? Much like they do carbide inserts for cutting tools. They are pressed into a die from powdered metal. As they come from the press you can all but crumble them with your fingers. However, once they have been through the sintering process, they are almost as hard and tough as a diamond. (72+ Rockwell C). Is this the same deal?

I interviewed for a place that makes carbide parts.  Luckily I didn't get the job, 'cause that dust is constantly in the air and leaves a film on everything.  It's bad enough breathing in airborne coolant all night.  I couldn't imagine what carbide dust would do to my lungs.

My wife worked for that company for years, and she HATED having to go to Carbide.

tombogan03884

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2021, 09:03:44 AM »

No.
This just melts plastic.
They have filiments that have metals or wood mixed in, but it's only for appearances.
They don't actually add any strength, and they are abrasive as hell on the extruder nozzle
I don't know about the industrial size machines.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2021, 04:49:09 AM »

I saw a video online where they were 3D printing stuff with powdered metal and sintering each layer with a laser as it printed. That's got to be some expensive equipment. Someplace online was selling AR charging handle coffee scoops that were 3D printed that really looked like crap. The finish was very rough where each layer of the bowl of it stepped down, otherwise I would have posted it. It looked like the coffee would stick to it and you wouldn't be able to wash and dry it with a cloth without filling it with lint. I just found this pic on etsy that looks the same, only better. You could make these things from plastic all day, but Mil-Spec Type III, Class 2 anodized hardcoat, forged 7075-T6 aluminum would be better. :)
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

sammy00

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2021, 04:09:14 AM »
My hobby is 3D printing and I spend a lot of time on it.I also want to create my own YouTube channel about 3D printing. But for the last six months I've been putting it off because there were a lot of problems besides. But maybe this summer I will do it. I still want to buy a new 3D printer, a more professional one, and a good camera to shoot video. It certainly takes a lot of money, but I hope https://mr.bet/at will help me with that. So maybe someday I will become a famous blogger)

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 12:18:08 AM »

BAC

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2021, 06:19:40 AM »
Oh look, sammy00 posted a link. Let me just click on that straight away!

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2021, 08:15:32 AM »
Oh look, sammy00 posted a link. Let me just click on that straight away!

Yeah...that's what I am going to do...    :o
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

tombogan03884

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2021, 09:06:53 AM »
He hasn't posted since I asked him a direct question about 3 D printing.
On that subject, my evaluation of the Creality Ender 3 Pro is that it's cool as hell for the few weeks it actually worked.

Since then I have learned that customer support is nonexistent unless you have Amazon threaten their "seller's credentials" and while the metal frame and bed are really well built, the electronic stuff is the cheapest shit available.
My current options are,
try to cobble it back together,
Kick it up some Chinaman's ass,
or start doing some studying and try to build a reliable machine on the solid base using good components.
American made is not an option since there are none that will fit in my Apt, and if there were they are all $1000+.
4X what I paid.

Timothy

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2021, 09:17:35 AM »
The first time I saw one in action was 11 years ago for prototypes from Solidworks.  They were extremely expensive and unobtainable to normal humans.  I suspect a good one would still be pricey today!  A good one might still be in the 5-10K range.

Amazon is not a reliable anything unless you own stock in a packaging company!

tombogan03884

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2021, 01:19:05 PM »
The first time I saw one in action was 11 years ago for prototypes from Solidworks.  They were extremely expensive and unobtainable to normal humans.  I suspect a good one would still be pricey today!  A good one might still be in the 5-10K range.

Amazon is not a reliable anything unless you own stock in a packaging company!

No, of the "Home hobbiest" brands I got one of the 2-3 best on the market.
My problem is that they are built for people who like screwing around with "Arduino", not some shmuck who just wants to print stuff.
The industrial grade ones can still go to $50K for metal, or other materials, but seem to average around $5 K for a plain old plastic squirter.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk