Poll

What level of response is adequete for an attack on US infrastructure?

Send in the Marines, aka Tripoli.
4 (66.7%)
Some other proportionate response.
0 (0%)
WWIII
2 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Attack On US Infrastructure  (Read 4335 times)

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
Attack On US Infrastructure
« on: May 09, 2021, 08:05:27 AM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/05/08/cyber-attack-colonial-pipeline/

It appears that the Colonial Pipeline was shutdown with a cyber-attack using ransomware.  This is interesting not only because of the problem it presents (shutting down 45% of NE US gasoline/diesel fuel supplies) but also because of the history of the Colonial Pipeline.  The Colonial Pipeline was built to address the loss of crude oil tankers bringing oil from the East Texas oilfield (Tyler, TX area) to New England that were being sunk by German submarines.  Here we have been torpedoed by the internet and an apparent Eastern European "criminal" gang.

People may ask, "How could this happen"?  It happens in the name of efficiency, staffing and being cheap because of open access.  I have no idea why anyone would allow an open system on infrastructure like this.  It's easy enough to be "high and mighty" and lock everyone out of the internet on gun searches why not this?  Why can't there be two separate systems?  One for running the infrastructure with no outside connections and another for email (which is 95% total BS), company notifications and such.

It's only been recently (I'm old) that the internet was used to transmit data.  Before that companies had in house systems (microwave, hardwired telephone lines, etc.) but they cost a little more to maintain and honestly, all of that data you can now access (not because of the internet per se' but because of sensors and computing power) does provide efficiency and safety.  So in my estimation it is the bean counting to cut costs or foolish stupidity that is the root of providing an opportunity to criminals and nation state attacks.

Over the last 25 years for all of the installations (50+) I had built for oil and gas operations I resisted remote control.  I used local devices for safety shutdowns, process control and data acquisition.  I then ported the data and status over the internet for review and reports.  Properly built and maintained we lost no benefits of remote control and incurred no additional costs.  If there had been a nationwide cyber-attack our only true setback would have been waiting for an operator to call in a morning report.  When you can use a remote computer for control a Pandora's Box is created.   
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

tombogan03884

Re: Attack On US Infrastructure
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 01:52:08 PM »
No one gives a shit.
It might interfere with their Free shit and Participation prizes.
America is the worlds little bitch.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 08:32:57 PM »
First thing I thought of when I read this is the security of the movement to not go back to the office.  The idea that through COVID we have proven that working remote is better.  For years I have been concerned with the fragility of our electronic system, and how easy it would be to bankrupt and destroy an entire nation, and its citizens, by simply planting a bug.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 08:05:25 AM »
<snip> For years I have been concerned with the fragility of our electronic system, and how easy it would be to bankrupt and destroy an entire nation, and its citizens, by simply planting a bug.

Exactly.  One should backup ON PAPER their financial information (bank balances, stock ownership, retirement funds, etc.) at least one a week if not nightly.  The more your life depends on infrastructure the greater the potential impact...read that as, "Don't live in a city!".

Now that we life fully in the country it's firewood, water filtration and sharp knives to carve up the cattle that I worry about having in stock.  That and my wife crying because I just served up her favorite heifer. 

If the power grid is hit we can do without.  I have a little solar...enough for a couple of lights at night which will be a big deal...and a couple of small generators.  In the next few months I'll have a propane freezer/refrigerator and a big tank full of propane for it that will last a year or so.  If I were in the city I'd have to worry about water, food and basic sanitation. 

Dirty Bob

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Usual Suspect
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2021, 02:06:41 PM »
Something that's compatible with a smallish solar setup is this idea: a high-grade cooler and a countertop ice maker to make the ice to keep the cooler cold. Here's the article at Backwoods Home. I'm trying to talk SWMBO into the expenditure to support this.

www.backwoodshome.com/keep-the-ice-on/
-------------
Maker, tinkerer, general nerd

"Can't stop the signal, Mal." - Serenity (2005)

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:21:58 AM »

bulldog75

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 06:45:47 AM »
Well since most of our firewalls and spy ware that the military and industrial use is made by you guessed it Russia or China. The Air Force Base was shut down because the Firewall they used was by a China company. Those companies put in back door systems to spy on us and let their government spy on us. As for crashing our power grid. China owns like 40 % of our power companies right now. So if they decide to shut us down they can. The best thing about Trumps Presidency was he showed us a little of what the politicians had done behind our backs. 
Citizens sleep peacfully at night knowing that rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2021, 08:50:21 AM »
Something that's compatible with a smallish solar setup is this idea: a high-grade cooler and a countertop ice maker to make the ice to keep the cooler cold. Here's the article at Backwoods Home. I'm trying to talk SWMBO into the expenditure to support this.

www.backwoodshome.com/keep-the-ice-on/

Yes, I've thought about having some ice to really elevate life during power outage events...however long they last.  I have a couple of battery powered AC backups (Jackery, etc.) to run the satellite internet, security camera system, charge things for USB, etc.  You can charge them with solar or AC input.  In addition to the primary battery backup on my computer and internet.  I have some solar powered cameras on the place that communicate via WiFi that feed back.

You really need to check on propane appliances.  They are rarer now than ever but you still find them in RV's and can buy them online easily.  My aunt had a propane refrigerator/freezer for 48 years until a wise assed cousin talked her out of it for his hunting camp.  They don't use very much propane (or natural gas if you have it) depending on the size.  When the SHTF I suspect we'll find a whole lot less to be leftover or put in the fridge so a smaller size is probably sufficient. 

https://bensdiscountsupply.com/collections/propane-refrigerator

https://www.warehouseappliance.com/category/propane-refrigerator/

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2021, 09:52:50 AM »
we moved to Florida in 1955, and didn't have air conditioning for many years... I had classmates whose families owned stilt houses off the coast and mouth of the river, and was invited to spend a couple of weeks at a time out there over several years... the cooking and lighting was Coleman white gas, but the refrigerators were highly sought after ARKLA (Arkansas and Louisiana Gas Co) propane refrigerators... IIRC they were medium sized, and I believe were ammonia/water absorption units... pics of the few stilt houses still off shore... they were grandfathered in to land usage legislation

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/pasco-county-stilt-houses

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2021, 10:40:15 AM »
We didn't have air conditioning until I was around 10 years old.  We did have an attic fan though which was great.  But the reduced humidity from the AC was a real deal maker.

Dirty Bob

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Usual Suspect
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2021, 09:52:06 PM »
I need to look into propane refrigerators. It might be a good option for us.

The appeal of the solar/ice maker concept is its longevity: not being dependent on fuel that must be purchased. If an outage goes on for a loooong time, a cooler with a ready supply of ice could be like my grandmother's icebox that she talked about and could make a big difference in our lives. It looks pretty portable, as well.

And A/C is a big deal, but people lived a long time in the South without it. Check out the older homes, like the King William district in San Antonio, that have a way to open tall windows at top and bottom, to let hot air out and cool(er) air in. They also used fans and screen porches to beat the heat.

In the Southwest, the very simple swamp cooler is the "A/C" for many homes. In Las Cruces, few houses had "refrigerated air." We did fairly well with our flat roof and swamp cooler. I did the maintenance of both every spring. I miss the simplicity and low cost of both.

Thanks,
Dirty Bob
-------------
Maker, tinkerer, general nerd

"Can't stop the signal, Mal." - Serenity (2005)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk