Author Topic: CNMG AR-15 .22 L.R. Conversion Kit ??  (Read 4244 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
CNMG AR-15 .22 L.R. Conversion Kit ??
« on: July 26, 2021, 12:56:25 AM »
Do any of you guys have one? If so how do you like it? I ordered one the other day, and it's scheduled to arrive this coming Wednesday on the brown truck. I bought the "Bravo" model with 3, 25 round magazines. $180.00 + Tax and shipping. Not too bad. I got it from Primary Arms. They shipped it within 2 hours.

I've watched a bunch of videos on You Tube, and most seem pretty happy with it overall. The AR twist rate, (1 in 7"), over spins the .22 L.R. bullet by a factor of over 2 to 1, but even so it doesn't seem to deter from accuracy too much. Most of them group pretty well. At least from the demonstrations I've seen.

And the only way you're going to get around the twist rate, and get a 1 in 16" twist barrel, is to go with a dedicated .22 L.R. upper. And for a good one you're looking at $500.00 or so. I didn't want to spend that much, because this is more or less a SHTF purchase, and a way of making all of my AR's able to fire .22's.

I know Ciener makes one, but I've heard that guy is nothing but trouble to deal with. I don't even know if he makes them anymore. I have a Beretta .22 conversion for my Beretta Model 92 FS, and it runs well. So I'll be looking forward to trying this one out. You guys chime in if you have any advice on ammo. It says they run best on Federal Copper Plated Hi-Speed Hollow Points. And I have literally dozens of 550 round, "Bulk Packs" of that stuff.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
Re: CNMG AR-15 .22 L.R. Conversion Kit ??
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 06:58:36 AM »
I love them, I have two.  I got my first one way back when BHO was prez during an ammo shortage.  I was able to continue to train with cheaper ammo. 

I don't notice an accuracy issue but then I only use it for training.  I'm not shooting for tiny groups.  Sometimes I run one with the can on.   

I've seen AR pricing start to relax a bit from the highs so maybe you can dedicated upper before too long.  However, with the idiots we have running everything the prices may never return to where they were. 
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 03:24:13 PM »
If you can find any try the Aguila .22 SSS (SniperSubSonic) It's a 60 grain bullet that should work well in a 1/7 twist barrel.
https://www.aguilaammo.com/ammunition/1b220112-22-sniper-subsonic-60/
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 03:29:51 PM »
I remember seeing those. I'll have to try some.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2021, 04:14:36 PM »
The sss  will  not cycle in autos.  They are very quite out of a bolt gun with a good can... just saying.   ;D

Its my go to for varmint removal.  Just have a good back stop for pass thrus... ;)
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:42:15 AM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2021, 04:22:37 PM »
heck they'd probably be fairly quiet out of any locked breech even without a can. 
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2021, 06:22:44 PM »
heck they'd probably be fairly quiet out of any locked breech even without a can.

They are quiet.  I bought a few boxes in the early 2000's...still have most of them.  Not accurate past ~50' in my guns.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2021, 06:45:33 PM »
Do they tumble?

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2021, 07:18:06 PM »
They had some in stock here, not cheap, but available.
https://www.brownells.com/ammunition/rimfire-ammo/sniper-subsonic-22-long-rifle-rimfire-ammo-prod137269.aspx?avs%7cCartridge_1=AFF_22+Long+Rifle&avs%7cBullet+Weight+(Grains)_1=60

In a standard .22 rim fire barrel they will keyhole past a certain distance, But should be fine in an AR-15 barrel.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2021, 01:03:58 AM »
Do they tumble?
  not sure i have not shot them past about 25 yards out of a bolt gun with a can.  I can tell you its odd hear the action work them thr smack of a bullet hitting flesh
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk