Author Topic: Where were you on 9/11/2001?  (Read 3161 times)

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
Where were you on 9/11/2001?
« on: September 11, 2021, 06:49:31 AM »
I happened to be on an elliptical training device at a West Florida gym.  The TV was on NBC and the camera was focused on Mat Lauer.  He put his hand up to the bug in his ear and said, "We've just got word that a plane has hit the World Trade Center."

My first thought was that a Cessna or Piper or something similar had crashed into the tower.

I was obviously wrong as a few minutes later they got a remote camera at the WT site and I could see it was a commercial airliner burning higher up in the tower.

A few minutes after that, the second plane flew into the second tower.

I got off the elliptical machine, turned to the guy next to me and said, "I think we've just gone to war."

Never forget,

Crusader Rabbit

“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

tombogan03884

Re: Where were you on 9/11/2001?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2021, 08:22:39 AM »
I hope those monuments are portable.
With in 10 years they will be removed for "Inciting anti Muslim hate".
They mean "prejudice", but the dumb fuckers can't spell it.

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2021, 09:58:45 AM »
I was teaching an honors 9th grade science class... the administration broke into class on the PA and asked us to turn on the TV.... I don't remember if it was real time or on film,  before the second tower was hit...

when one of the brighter kids asked who I thought did it... I wrote Usama ben Laden (spelled incorrectly with the Israeli ben and not Arabic bin).... the NJROTC students the remainder of the week would ask a couple of question at the beginning of class... I have a degree in political science with emphasis on the role of the military in developing countries, especially non symmetrical warefare

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 865
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2021, 12:57:53 PM »
I was working at the funeral home.  It was a slow week, so I was heading over to the next town to help that director fix some lawn sprinklers.  While I was driving my wife called and told me a small plane had hit the WTC.  After I got to the funeral home and looked at what we needed, I went to the hardware store.  I was at the parts counter watching the TV, and I saw the second plane hit.  The entire coverage of the event changed from it being an accident to "we are under attack."  From that point on all we heard were constant announcements about all elected officials being sheltered, planes grounded.

As the Pentagon was hit and then Flight 93 going down I will never forget the official announcements that any aircraft that did not land immediately would be shot down.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2021, 01:13:50 PM »
I was at work as an Armored car Guard/Driver when we heard about the first plane, we were at the Thruway exit in Albany picking up the deposit to take to the bank.I mentioned it to the supervisor and he turned on the TV just in time for us to see the 2nd plane hit. We got a call from our company telling us to return to the office directly and not to stop anywhere else.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:04:17 PM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2021, 04:28:57 PM »
I lived under the flight path for Pease Jet port, NH Air Guard tankers started leaving at 9 PM every night

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2021, 05:48:03 PM »
I had been laid off from corporate world in May, so I was home job searching, remember Monster dot com?   My wife called to tell me to turn on the TV. 

It was at that time I realized I needed a job, any job. I felt the future was so uncertain that rather than wait for the "ideal" job, I needed to be employed somewhere, anywhere.   I immediately went to visit several chains, Wolf Camera, and big box stores, Lowes, to find something.   I stumbled onto the trick to getting hired at Lowes and went to work there the next day.  It was the beginning of a 10 year crawl back up the pay scale and the path to a new career.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 865
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2021, 07:40:03 PM »
I had been laid off from corporate world in May, so I was home job searching, remember Monster dot com?   My wife called to tell me to turn on the TV. 

It was at that time I realized I needed a job, any job. I felt the future was so uncertain that rather than wait for the "ideal" job, I needed to be employed somewhere, anywhere.   I immediately went to visit several chains, Wolf Camera, and big box stores, Lowes, to find something.   I stumbled onto the trick to getting hired at Lowes and went to work there the next day.  It was the beginning of a 10 year crawl back up the pay scale and the path to a new career.

Would you mind spreading that story to these idiots today who won't settle for anything less than they had before the COVID layoffs, or those who swear they will quit before they go back to the office, rather than working remote?
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tombogan03884

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2021, 07:49:05 AM »
Would you mind spreading that story to these idiots today who won't settle for anything less than they had before the COVID layoffs, or those who swear they will quit before they go back to the office, rather than working remote?

I don't know about YOUR area, but around here unemployment is about 2.5 % (Basically everyone capable of working is working. ) and NO ONE has enough help.
Can't blame it on extra money, that ended the 1st of the year.
We just don't have enough people and it's getting worse with the kids going back to school.

Timothy

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2021, 10:05:43 AM »
I was at the shop, refreshing my coffee and we had a small B&W tv in the break room.  A few guys were watching the first tower on fire so shortly thereafter the second plane hit!

My first thought was we were at war and then I wondered how many daycares there might be in those buildings..

My boss’s son in law worked near the complex so it was a crazy day for the family while they tried to make contact!  His building survived as did he but he had the unfortunate view of people diving out of the upper floors to their death rather than burning alive..,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk