Author Topic: RIA USA VRF14 12 gauge firearm  (Read 6754 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
RIA USA VRF14 12 gauge firearm
« on: December 20, 2022, 10:28:46 AM »
I think I found my next new firearm, the 12 gauge VRF14 from RIA-USA. A one-of-a-kind, detachable box mag-fed, pistol grip, 14” barrel, firearm. Mossberg can stick their Shock 'n' Saw where the sun doesn't shine. Sorry, Remington V3 TAC-13. My heart yearns for another now. And if it wasn't out of stock at Advanced Tactical, I could get it on sale for 80% less than the Remington.

https://www.armscor.com/vrf14

https://advancedtactical.com/VRF14/
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: RIA USA VRF14 12 gauge firearm
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2022, 10:30:10 AM »
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2022, 11:41:49 AM »
It comes with sights but they wouldn't be much of use to me. I think I'd buy a Viridian HS1 Hand Stop Laser, Black with Green Laser, with a Two-Slot M-LOK to Picatinny Rail Adapter. Then cover the rest of the bottom slots with rail covers. And put a big tactical flashlight on top in place of sights since I would use it for home defense. Loaded with reduced recoil buckshot, like the 9-pellet 00 I just bought. And possibly a thumb stop on the left rail for consistent hand position.

But if I find out for sure vertical fore grips, not just horizontal chainsaw grips, are legal on "firearms" all that goes out the window. I never heard that you can't put one on, and I recall reading once that since they aren't pistols you CAN put a VFG on them. I already have an extra VFG that should work just fine on it. Then I would just put a plain laser and light on instead of the hand stop laser.

https://viridianweapontech.com/products/hs1-laser-with-picatinny-rail-adapter

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2022, 10:27:18 PM »
I didn't check my email yesterday so I didn't know these were back in stock. They're sold out again today. They make a +2 mag extension for the VR80 box mags that's supposed to work on this too. They're probably the same mags. So instead of 5, 9, and 19 round mags for it, you can have 7, 11, and 21 round mags, plus they make a 21 round drum. I think I would stick with 5 and 9 round mags, but add the +2 followers, which they say need to be fitted by a gunsmith. I'm not a gunsmith but I know my way around a hammer. ;D I can fix anything with the right size hammer. ::)

Between a 2 pound ball-peen hammer and rubber mallet, I fixed my furnace last night. I'm not kidding. It's been running good all day, for the first time in over a month. I haven't been kicking it in the right place lately to jiggle the bad relay that's probably 40-50 years old and out of production, and got both doors all bent out of shape. Since I hammered out the doors I can kick it in the right place without the top door falling off and landing on the floor with a clatter and clang.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2023, 12:05:32 AM »
I still don't have a VRF14, but I'm so sure I'm getting one that I started ordering mags and aftermarket parts and accessories for it. One package should be here Friday and another one Saturday. The Taylor Freelance +3 extended baseplate extends the 9-round VR80 shotgun magazine, which also fits the VRF14, by THREE rounds to 12+1, extends the 5-round mag by two rounds, creating a much-more-useful 7+1, and extends the 19-round mag by one round to get 20+1 capacity. If you live in a Low-Cap state, leave the 9-round mag's spring guide in place to limit the mag to 10+1. They also make a VR80 PRO Pad +0. It replaces the polymer factory basepad with durable aluminum CNC machined from bar stock.

I bought 4 red +3 mag extensions from Advanced Tactical because they were cheaper there than Taylor Freelance. I got Red because they don't have Black in stock and don't sell the Blue ones, and I don't want Anodized Gold or Raw Aluminum. I'll hit them with black spray paint if I ever want them to look more tactical. I don't know if the gun will have a 5 round or 9 round mag when I buy it. I'll take whatever I can get. Advanced Tactical only has 5 round and 19 round mags in stock, so I got a 5 and 2 19s. When I get the gun, I need to get an additional 5 round mag and a pair of 9 round mags, including whatever comes with it, so I'll have 2 of each. I have a pair of Black +0 basepads from Taylor Freelance on the way to put on the 19 round mags, and will put the 4 +3 mag extensions on the 5 round and 9 round mags, starting with my single 5 round mag. No plastic baseplates for me.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:33:53 AM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2023, 11:55:23 PM »
I got an email Thursday that 9 round mags were in stock and ordered 2, but still no gun. Palmetto State Armory said they had some a few days ago, but when I clicked the link, the page didn't exist. These guns seem to sell out in minutes, especially at Advanced Tactical where they're still on sale for half price. Theirs are $300 off and another place that was selling them had them on sale for $50 off. I think they were out of stock too but can't remember that far back.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2023, 03:14:01 AM »
I finally ordered my gun Tuesday. Wednesday my local dealer sent them their FFL along with my order number, and now I wait. Advanced Tactical is short staffed and 3-5 days behind on shipping, so it hasn't gone out yet. I ordered it without any extra mags since I already have them. It will have one 5 round mag, which I've had the extension ready for since January. That makes a total of 2 19 round, 2 9+3 round, and 2 5+2 round, since the +3 extensions are +2 on the 5 round mags.

I got a Strike Industries Ambush sling loop to mount a single point sling on it. This thing is pretty slick. It sits flat in between the rails so it won't interfere with your sights and fits under longer optics. It has dual purpose loop and QD socket sling attachments, and it's made of solid steel. They say this is the lowest profile sling mount anyone makes, and it is AFAIK.

https://www.strikeindustries.com/si-ambush.html

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2023, 11:06:05 PM »
My firearm came in today, later than I expected. I slept in late so it didn't matter. I'll go get it when I don't have to be in a hurry. I won't have time to go to the gun store Saturday when they're really busy, and they're closed Sunday and Monday. The good news is they're open 11:30 - 7 Tuesday-Friday. Those are the kind of hours I can work around and still sleep all morning. :) Here's how the VRF14 looks compared to the VR60 shotgun. The whole mag-well is a lot more like a standard AR-10/AR-15 style. My Colt AR-15 has the mag release setting out in the open like that, with no fence around it. It's never been a problem but could be if I add an extended button. The rest of the gun looks about the same until you work your way back to the wrist of the shotgun. And the VRF14 comes with a set of flip-up sights that aren't on this one. Since it's all Picatinny rail it should take AR-15 sights. I'll try my A2 carry handle on just for the heck of it. I wonder if the uppers and lowers are interchangeable?

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2023, 04:27:29 AM »
I edited the sights off the shotgun in Microsoft Paint and cut both guns down to the same length. Now they really look the same, other than the mag well. There's probably some difference between the uppers and lowers and the barrels that prevents you from swapping parts from one to the other to make a short-barreled shotgun. I don't know why it took over 80 years for manufacturers to come out with non-NFA firearms like the Mossberg Shockwave, etc., but I'm glad they did. The NFA is BS anyway, and this looks like it's going to be a lot of fun. If it lives up to all my expectations, it will be my new anti-bear, anti-bobcat, stay the heck out of my tent gun. 12 gauge Buck > .45 ACP. Coyotes are shy and never bothered me, and I haven't had any dealings with bobcats and other critters yet, but one time a bear was literally within spitting distance of me. The 19 round mags look like they could be awkward handling and best for just goofing off, but the 9+3 mags are about 6" shorter. They'll protrude roughly 9" instead of 15". I measured from the center of the mag at the top, straight across to the center at the bottom. If a bear gets too bothersome a baker's dozen of 00 buck shells should take the steam out of it. If not, that's what spare mags are for.

I still find it hard to believe that this American made firearm costs less than 1/4 what a Remington TAC-13 does. A gun which I would also like to have, but not for over a grand. And when your 5+1 rounds in the TAC-13 are shot it's too slow to reload for mere mortals like me. At GunBroker TAC-13s range all the way up to $1495.00 Starting Bid, while this is on sale for $299, exactly 1/5 the cost. If I like this one I may buy another. At that price, why not? I thought about getting 2, but didn't want to buy 2 at a time and get flagged for making multiple purchases.

Starting Bid $1,495.00. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/987285226

Now: $299.00 <--- WINNER!!! https://advancedtactical.com/vrf14/

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2023, 02:58:55 AM »
I'm waiting for Advanced Tactical to get the UTG Ambidextrous Contoured Vertical Foregrip back in stock. The only person there who reviewed it said it's a perfect match for the handgrip on his VRF14, and feels very good. It's looks good enough to me in the picture I cobbled together. FAB Defense has one that looks better, but I don't think it's worth twice as much. Or maybe it is since it's extended far enough forward and back to keep your hand from ever touching the rail. I might get that one, since I finally just realized that. And I got a 10% off email coupon, but they don't have a black grip in stock. The rubberized one would be a good choice but I'd rather spend 17 bucks on a VFG (14 and change with my discount) than $49. TacStar Shotgun Grips are the closest match I ever found, but they don't make VFGs, just grips for the Remington 870, and Mossberg 500/590/600/Maverick.

https://www.leapers.com/utg-ambidextrous-combat-foregrip-symmetric-contourblack-rb-fgrp172b.html

https://fab-defenseus.com/ag-44/

https://fab-defenseus.com/rubberized-ergonomic-vertical-foregrip/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk