Author Topic: Those Pesky .22lr Brass  (Read 1580 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
Those Pesky .22lr Brass
« on: January 23, 2023, 11:34:58 AM »
Doing a bunch of .38spl this morning and all of a sudden the Powder Cop screams, S-T-O-P !

Strange, I thought, I mean I have never had a powder issue since I acquired the PC.  Then I looked down in the case and there was something funny going on.

Turns out there was a .22lr brass down there.  It had been there the time before because it was all blown out to match the .357 contour.   Whomever loaded it before, and I don't think it was me, had punched through the little sucker with the de-primer pin and loaded it with the brass in the bottom.   Had to drill out the primer pocket of the .38 to push the little sucker out.  All I can say is, Powder Cops Matter.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
Re: Those Pesky .22lr Brass
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2024, 10:42:55 PM »
And that's why you never buy someone else's reloaded ammo. My mama said reloads are a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2024, 07:01:12 AM »
Whhaaaattttttttt?  That's scary. 
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2024, 10:19:52 PM »
I once bought some what was supposed to be once fired 30-30 brass. I started loading them with a starting load and on some of them the powder overflowed. I dumped the powder out of them and tried again thinking "Maybe" I double charged those cases by mistake, Nope same thing. I dumped the powder again and set then aside to check out later. I used a pair of needle nose pliers to tear them open and found that they all had .30 Carbine cases in them with the primer pockets drilled out. Now Why would someone expand the necks enough to put those cases in them and re-neck them back to spec? Everyone I showed them to were as perplexed as I was. From that point on I only bought new brass or only used my own fired brass for reloading.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2024, 07:11:36 PM »
That was a kaboom waiting to happen.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:22:48 AM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2024, 03:48:50 PM »
I once bought some what was supposed to be once fired 30-30 brass. I started loading them with a starting load and on some of them the powder overflowed. I dumped the powder out of them and tried again thinking "Maybe" I double charged those cases by mistake, Nope same thing. I dumped the powder again and set then aside to check out later. I used a pair of needle nose pliers to tear them open and found that they all had .30 Carbine cases in them with the primer pockets drilled out. Now Why would someone expand the necks enough to put those cases in them and re-neck them back to spec? Everyone I showed them to were as perplexed as I was. From that point on I only bought new brass or only used my own fired brass for reloading.

Reduced capacity loads?
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2024, 07:11:47 PM »
Reduced capacity loads?
Maybe, But that's an awful lot of work to go through for the end result.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2024, 05:49:26 AM »
Yeah, it doesn't make a lot of sense to do it for any reason i can think of.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2024, 06:54:24 PM »
Reduced capacity loads?
That is a lot of work to cut capacity.

I download my .38 spl for SASS. Three grains Red Dot, and I top them with instant white grits. An afternoon of work, and I have two powder measures on the toolhead.  First drops powder, and second drops grits. Grits are cheap, and I get a much more consistent chrono than a mostly empty case.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2024, 08:32:38 AM »
I had never heard of grits for reloading.  Nice. 

I've used grits as a temporary fix to seal water leaks in cooling systems. 

So, grits are granular.  I wonder what flakey oats would do?
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk