Author Topic: S&W 350 - - - .357 Max?  (Read 1146 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
S&W 350 - - - .357 Max?
« on: January 29, 2023, 09:24:35 AM »
An enthusiastic article in Feb American Rifleman about Smith’s new 350 revolver for the 350 Legend.

Only problem is S&W warned users not to fire .357 Mag rounds in it because the bullets are too big.
[edit]  S&W didn't say the bullets were too big.  The author, Kelly Young, assumed that was the reason.

SAY WHAT?

The bore and grove dimensions on the .357 Mag and the 350 Legend are the same. And the case diameters are within a whisker.

But my mind wander a little further afield.  Is this a suitable platform for .357 Max?

If some one wants to loan me one of these I’ll be glad to test it out.  Michael? Kevin?  Anybody?

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
Re: S&W 350 - - - .357 Max?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 06:10:59 AM »
I only read the captions on that article. I'll give it a shot too if someone loans me a gun. I still have several boxes of Max. ammo. Will the cylinder even close with a rimmed cartridge in it?
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 06:47:35 AM »
Will the cylinder even close with a rimmed cartridge in it?

The author tried and yes, the cylinder will close and lock.  I'd guess he'd might have actually shot some rounds but with liability issues and S&W having tell him "NO", he didn't say in the article. 

The author assumed it had to do with bullet size which was wrong and he should have known that.  And he shouldn't have just let S&W tell him, no, but he should have gotten the real reason from them.

Now the .350L despite being called straight wall, has a little taper, like many semi-auto rounds, to aid in insertion and extraction.  So the back of the chamber is about 0.01" bigger than it would be for a .357mag or max.  This might bulge the cases, or split them, OR it just might fire form them.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2023, 05:13:04 AM »
I wasn't sure the rims would fit where the moon clip goes, but thought they likely would. It doesn't really sound like it would be a problem if the head is only .001" too narrow. It's not as if it's an ultra-high pressure cartridge and it's going to explode.

Maybe the next big thing will be a 360 Buckhammer revolver. BMF could do it to compete with the S&W 350.

https://www.remington.com/360buckhammer.html
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2023, 01:46:31 PM »
Are you familiar with the .360 Dan Wesson, Alf? I've only recently become aware of its 20 year plus existence. The standard 357 Mag is 1.29" in length and the 357 Super Mag/Maximum measures 1.6 " in length. The 360 Dan Wesson comes in at 1.41 inches, not quite halfway (1.445") between them.  Dan Wesson coupled the new cartridge to their heavy frame and medium length cylinder - the same cylinder that would be used for the .44 Magnum or .45 Colt. This cylinder was of a standard fluted configuration. If a revolver has a long enough cylinder, why not take full advantage of its size? It should be a quick job to ream out the chambers of a compatible size .357 Magnum. Reed's Ammunition & Research has 8 different loads for sale in .360 Dan Wesson, and Starline makes brass for it.

https://shop.reedsammo.com/360-Dan-Wesson_c333.htm

https://www.starlinebrass.com/360-dw-brass

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:04:47 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk