Author Topic: Re-building America's Rifle  (Read 1890 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1021
Re-building America's Rifle
« on: February 02, 2023, 04:43:21 AM »
A DSA AR15 A3 Mil-Spec Flattop Stripped Upper Without M4 Feedramps is in the mail on its way to me. I'm finally replacing the non-Picatinny rail Eagle Arms, 50, or 5.0, Shades of Grey, flattop upper I've had for a very, very long time. I have 3 barrels and none of them have M4 feedramps, and if I use an upper that does have them, the bullets will jam against the edge of the barrel. I'm not going to use a Dremel to "Bane" M4 ramps into my barrels. :D Sorry, Michael. I couldn't resist.

https://www.dsarms.com/p-17360-dsa-ar15-a3-mil-spec-flattop-upper-receiver-no-m4-feed-ramps-stripped.aspx

Aero Precision had theirs for $80 bucks, but they're discontinued. I'd rather have Aero Precison but wouldn't pay double for it if they were in stock.

https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/ar15-stripped-upper-receiver-no-m4-feedramps
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Re-building America's Rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2023, 12:19:39 AM »
I got my flattop upper but don't recognize the forge mark. I knew it could be anything but was hoping to see the familiar square logo of Brass Aluminum Forging Enterprises. I'll have to look it up and see where it came from. I was surprised it has T marks on it. Manufacturers are getting away from them since no one really needs them on an upper.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2023, 08:29:05 AM »
I forgot to look up that forge mark ^. Or I looked it up and forgot to post what it was. That's more likely. I bought a bottle of GREEN LOCTITE 620 High Temperature Retaining Compound (not thread-locker) and I'm going to glue the front sight taper pins into the grooves in the barrel, pound them in tight, then grind them down flush after it's cured, before I put the gas block on over top of them. I may even slap some spray paint on it, since I bought a can of high temp flat black to paint my DTA MIL Brake with. It may serve no purpose whatsoever, and no one else will ever see it, so why am I going to do it? Just because I want to. That's all the reason I need, and at least I didn't have to buy a $1,000 per liter bottle to get the few drops I need, just 50 ml. I'll try to remember to take a few pics during the process to show what I'm doing. This stuff is for sticking sleeves or bearings onto shafts or tubes. No threads or other mechanical fasteners are required. If you have a pistol like a 1911 with a tapered cone comp, this stuff will hold it onto the barrel forever. No worries about it shooting loose. I should get it done sometime this spring. I have no idea what I'll do with the 49 ml. I have left over, but since it's anaerobic like Loctite threadlocker, I'm not worried about it drying up.

Have you ever heard of anyone super-gluing toothpicks into locks, of cars for example, for revenge against people who pissed someone off? Read about it, never done it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I doubt this would work for that unless you displaced all the air inside the lock.

LOCTITE 620 is a high strength, high temperature resistant retaining compound.

LOCTITE® 620 is a retaining compound designed for the bonding of cylindrical fitting parts. The product cures when confined in the absence of air between close-fitting metal surfaces and prevents loosening and leakage due to shock and vibration. Typical applications include locating pins in radiator assemblies, sleeves in pump housings and bearings in auto transmissions. Particularly suitable for applications where temperature resistance up to 200°C is required.

Ideal for retaining pins in radiator assemblies, sleeves in pump housings and bearings in auto transmissions.

https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/us/en/product/retaining-compounds/loctite_620.html
    High temperature resistance.   

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2023, 09:44:59 PM »
I topped a Colt lower I got from Brownells a couple of years ago with a DSArms 16" mid upper with front sight tower and one of their bolt carrier groups... a LaRue MBT... I wanted a fixed sighted M4 style rifle... with a 4x32 ACOG it shot very good groups indoors at 100yd with  69 grain Sierra Match King loads by Australian Outback... the stone wash finish doesn't match the Colt, but I could give a rat's behind about looks as well as it performs... regards

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2023, 10:26:00 AM »
I know how to make non-matching finishes match, but I haven't done it yet because it never mattered much to me either. But when it does, two words, Rust Oleum. ;) Since I won't be using the 50 Shades of Grey POS upper for the rebuild, the only thing I'll paint will be the muzzle brake. The DSArms upper, DPMS lower, UTG Pro handguard, barrel, scope and mounts are all black. And I'll be shopping for a new one-piece scope mount.

I finally looked up the forge mark on my upper and found out it was made by Mueller Brass Forging Company in Port Huron, MI. They're only 65 feet from I-69, and I'm 1.05 mile from I-69, so it's almost a straight shot 46 miles down the freeway from here to there. Mueller Industries companies have been in business since 1917, but on one site I think someone said they were making brass rods for cartridge cases since 1887 or '97, something like that.

Whether they've been around for 136 years or only 106 years, Mueller Industries claims Mueller Brass Company is America’s leading manufacturer of standard and lead-free brass alloys for various industrial applications. As a globally recognized leader in the metallurgy and manufacture of brass and aluminum forgings, brass rod, brass bar, and other products, Mueller Brass Company provides parts to major OEM’s throughout the world. At the Mueller Brass Company site it says Mueller Brass Company is America’s leading manufacturer of standard and lead-free brass alloys for plumbing and other industrial applications. We are a globally recognized manufacturer of brass and aluminum forgings, close tolerance aluminum impact extrusions and precision machined parts to major OEM’s throughout the world. Mueller Brass Co. is a world-class producer of wrought brass rod and bars in a variety of standard and lead-free alloys for machining, thread rolling, and forging applications. With a state-of-the-art facility, we are a low-cost producer of a variety of brass alloys that not only meet customers’ expectations but are also compliant with new lead-free legislation introduced for potable water and PEX applications. And Mueller Brass Forging Company provides a complete manufacturing solution for aluminum forging and brass forging. Handling 440 to 2500 tons, our equipment can produce top quality parts up to 50 pounds and our state-of-the-art Metallurgical Laboratory and TS 16949 certifications ensure only the highest quality.

The list of forge marks also says C MB = Colt / Mueller Brass, E MB = EMCO / Mueller Brass, and FMB = FNMI / Mueller Brass. If Mueller Brass forgings are good enough for Colt's Manufacturing Company and FN Manufacturing, Inc., they should be pretty good. My upper looks like the one in this picture. All the AR forge marks lists say M (Under Diamond) = Mueller Industries. There's no diamond, just a triangle, and it's Mueller Brass Forging Company (Mueller Brass Co.), not one of the other 20 companies that are part of Mueller Industries.

https://muellerbrass.com/forgings/

https://www.muellerindustries.com/

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:31:51 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk