Author Topic: Suppressor for Hi point .45  (Read 28726 times)

tombogan03884

Suppressor for Hi point .45
« on: October 24, 2008, 01:38:32 AM »
Does any one know if an aftermarket barrel is available that would allow mounting a suppressor on a High Point .45 ?
What about a shot gun suppressor ?
Just for the record I have not lost my mind   ;D A guy I work with wants INEXPENSIVE home defense that will not blow out his ear drums. He shoots and has several nice guns but he isn't really a "Gun tinkerer" I was talking about suppressors and he started looking for a cheap way to do it legal.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
Re: Suppressor for Hi point .45
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 06:18:02 AM »
Try Silencertalk board....
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 07:24:17 AM »
There is no cheap legal way to get a silencer!  It is going to cost $200 for the stamp or whatever they call it plus the cost of the "can" plus the cost of the barrel. 

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Ruger-55

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 05:20:13 PM »
A old pop bottle work good on most....

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 10:30:16 PM »
A old pop bottle work good on most....

2-liter bottle with fiberglass insulation and a tube-shaped piece of window screen to keep a hole clear in the middle. Price = FREE. With subsonc .22 LR all you hear is the bullet impact. Not that I know from personal experience. It would be illegal to make a suppresor. I would never do that.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:45:39 PM »

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 10:42:28 PM »
Tom, the hard part would be the barrel. I recently found out, that the older suppressors, like from Mac 10's are worthless against the modern stuff, and won't even be taken in, on trade, by dealers, they suggest calling ATFE, and getting permission to demill them. I'm sure, they could be had for 100 - 200 bucks, but still the transfer, 200 bucks after purchase would have to be done. After the appropriate background check, and sign  off by the local constabulary. Finding an appropriate barrel that is longer and extends beyond the slide enough, might be a problem unless the factory offers one. Your friend is not going to get what he wants without some dough. Better off to get a good set of amplified hearing protectors to put on, as he grabs his weapon.

My 2 centavo's
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

DDMac

• Proudly Bald On
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 06:22:36 AM »
I remember a compression fitted, 2-L bottle-to-barrel adapter sold cheap at gun shows years back. I heard they worked well, if you could do without seeing your iron sights. Nothing beats a factory suppressor though, but $$$$$$. I figured it would cost a NC resident between 3-4K to get it done from scratch legally.
Mac.
Standing up for your Right to lay down suppressive fire since 1948!

fullautovalmet76

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 09:01:04 AM »
Hi Tom,
I have a suppressor for one of my subguns and I can vouch for what others have said: there really isn't a LEGAL, hassle-free, inexpensive option for a suppressor.

With that said, have him contact Jarvis. They make custom barrels for some of the more popular guns and maybe they can make one for his Hi-Point:
http://www.jarvis-custom.com/Home/tabid/35/Default.aspx
Jarvis, Inc.
1123 Cherry Orchard Loop
Hamilton, MT 59840

He probably will discover that after he has traveled this road that the cost of the suppressor alone will be more than his pistol. And I think M25 has the right idea.

tombogan03884

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 10:05:50 AM »
Hi Tom,
I have a suppressor for one of my subguns and I can vouch for what others have said: there really isn't a LEGAL, hassle-free, inexpensive option for a suppressor.

With that said, have him contact Jarvis. They make custom barrels for some of the more popular guns and maybe they can make one for his Hi-Point:
http://www.jarvis-custom.com/Home/tabid/35/Default.aspx
Jarvis, Inc.
1123 Cherry Orchard Loop
Hamilton, MT 59840

He probably will discover that after he has traveled this road that the cost of the suppressor alone will be more than his pistol. And I think M25 has the right idea.

To everyone who answered, Thank you. Your answers are pretty much in line with what I thought, First, the Tax stamp is more than the price of the pistol he wants to put it on  ;D 2nd ) even paying under $200 for the pistol he's looking at over $700 when you add in tax stamp, suppressor, and barrel, I'm going to point out to him that he can get a pretty good set of hearing aids for that kind of money  ;D
 Again, Thanx, I knew I'd get good info from you guys.

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2008, 10:06:41 AM »
2-liter bottle with fiberglass insulation and a tube-shaped piece of window screen to keep a hole clear in the middle. Price = FREE. With subsonc .22 LR all you hear is the bullet impact. Not that I know from personal experience. It would be illegal to make a suppresor. I would never do that.

I think it is illegal for me to even read that.
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk