Author Topic: Suppressor for Hi point .45  (Read 28727 times)

tombogan03884

Re: Suppressor for Hi point .45
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2008, 10:13:24 AM »
I think it is illegal for me to even read that.

It's only illegal if you are going to DO it. You can go to the public library and learn everything you need to build a crude A bomb in your cellar (getting the fissionable material is the most difficult part, the rest is fairly basic machining ) but that doesn't mean we are all going to start fishing with mini nukes ;D  Otherwise it's just a theoretical exercise of technical possibilities.  ;D

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2008, 04:44:37 PM »
If I did everything I know how to do I would be public enemy number one. Libraries and the internet are both full of information that could be used illegally. There are a few things I'd like to try as practical exercises but won't because I don't want the ATF, the FBI, and the rest of the alphabet after me. Making a suppresor is number 2 on the list of things I would like to do but won't because I'm afraid of getting caught. Number 1 would be cutting some more off my shotgun barrel and seeing how short I could make it and still have the gas operation work. I went from 28" to 19". It wouldn't work 100% with light target loads in the middle of winter after that, until I reamed the gas ports out just a hair. The next step if I could legally do it would be to cut it down to 13" and see if I can make it work. But once again governmental regulations trump scientific curiousity. Pesky sawed-off shotgun laws. It would still be 33" long and weigh around 8 pounds so I couldn't carry it concealed. I don't see what the big deal is but it could cost me everything I have and land me in prison until I'm old and gray if I tried it. We have way to many gun laws like that. It won't stop some criminal from making a sawed off shotgun 1/3 the size and killing people with it, but it stops me from doing something that doesn't hurt anyone, just to see if I can do it. I didn't mean to hijack the thread. I just get off topic all the time.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

tombogan03884

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2008, 04:47:44 PM »
If I did everything I know how to do I would be public enemy number one. Libraries and the internet are both full of information that could be used illegally. There are a few things I'd like to try as practical exercises but won't because I don't want the ATF, the FBI, and the rest of the alphabet after me. Making a suppresor is number 2 on the list of things I would like to do but won't because I'm afraid of getting caught. Number 1 would be cutting some more off my shotgun barrel and seeing how short I could make it and still have the gas operation work. I went from 28" to 19". It wouldn't work 100% with light target loads in the middle of winter after that, until I reamed the gas ports out just a hair. The next step if I could legally do it would be to cut it down to 13" and see if I can make it work. But once again governmental regulations trump scientific curiousity. Pesky sawed-off shotgun laws. It would still be 33" long and weigh around 8 pounds so I couldn't carry it concealed. I don't see what the big deal is but it could cost me everything I have and land me in prison until I'm old and gray if I tried it. We have way to many gun laws like that. It won't stop some criminal from making a sawed off shotgun 1/3 the size and killing people with it, but it stops me from doing something that doesn't hurt anyone, just to see if I can do it. I didn't mean to hijack the thread. I just get off topic all the time.

Curiosity only KILLED the cat.  ;D

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2008, 04:52:11 PM »
Are you SURE that's all curiosity did to the cat?  ??? :o
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

tombogan03884

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2008, 11:47:45 PM »
Didn't get his possessions seized or his butt thrown in jail  ;D

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 01:59:21 AM »

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2008, 12:14:56 AM »
Curiosity only KILLED the cat.  ;D

NEVER!  THE Cat is alive and kickin'!  ;)
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2008, 08:14:25 PM »
NEVER!  THE Cat is alive and kickin'!  ;)

It must have been a different cat.  :)

So what's a better bargain; getting a HK MK 23; or some other pistol with a threded barrel; or getting a Hi-Point and trying to find someone to make a custom barrel for it?

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2008, 08:20:25 PM »
With the Hi Point you'd have a one of a kind!
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

TSB

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2008, 08:59:04 PM »
Tell your buddy to forget about doing something illegal and think about this.

One gunshot registers about 145 decibles.  Noise-induced hearing loss is usually permanent and progresses with each exposure so, while a single gunshot does irrparable damage, so does prolonged listening to rock music at high volumes in the car at 115-120 decibles.  Hearing loss is like back injury, it's cumulative and will get progressivly worse if you do nothing to prevent it, we all have some loss either from our work environment or any number of Aerosmith, Pink Floyd, Lynard Skynard and dozens of other concerts I've seen since 1973...

Don't worry about it!

Tim

fullautovalmet76

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2008, 09:20:30 PM »
I would suggest the Sig P220 Combat. It is .45 ACP, has raised night sights, and has a threaded barrel; all for 1K in the gun store.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk