Poll

Which is the best?

M1 Garand
Mosin-Nagant M91
Lee-Enfield SMLE mkIII/IV
Mauser Gewehr 98
Arisaka rifle

Author Topic: Best WWII infantry battle rifle  (Read 40314 times)

Badgersmilk

Re: Best WWII infantry battle rifle
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2009, 03:08:58 PM »
"On board" ;D ;D ;D
LMAO!

tombogan03884

« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2009, 04:23:14 PM »
M25,  You are right that long range shooting requires special training but that does not change the fact that the US military started out with better material and therefore could afford the training time to better teach longer range shooting.

TAB, You need to go back to the history books.
During WW I The last battle of the Marne the Germans Were marching in full formation across a wheat field because they were "out of range of allied fire" They were stunned when the US Marines of the 2nd US division hammered them with ACCURATE  aimed rifle fire at ranges GREATER than 1000 yards. This was with IRON SIGHTS.

Peg Leg, I'm with you, inside 500 yards if I can see it I can probably hit it. Over that, I don't have the training or eye sight.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2009, 04:41:28 PM »
M25,  You are right that long range shooting requires special training but that does not change the fact that the US military started out with better material and therefore could afford the training time to better teach longer range shooting.

TAB, You need to go back to the history books.
During WW I The last battle of the Marne the Germans Were marching in full formation across a wheat field because they were "out of range of allied fire" They were stunned when the US Marines of the 2nd US division hammered them with ACCURATE  aimed rifle fire at ranges GREATER than 1000 yards. This was with IRON SIGHTS.

Peg Leg, I'm with you, inside 500 yards if I can see it I can probably hit it. Over that, I don't have the training or eye sight.

I still have good eyes.......it's the time and effort required to stay proficient that I lack. At one time several years ago I kept up my long range skills but other things have taken up the time and money.....maybe I'll try my hand again one day. I know a guy with a heavy Remington 700 in .308 he is thinking about selling...........hmmmmm.
Until then, I can provide excellent 'close range' support.   ;D

My friend that owns our local range regularly shoots out to 600 yards and goes to long range 1000 yard matches frequently also. He also puts in the time reloading for shooting at said ranges, which also requires more attention than 'regular' load-building.

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Badgersmilk

« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2009, 05:18:15 PM »
"He also puts in the time reloading for shooting at said ranges, which also requires more attention than 'regular' load-building."

Pegleg, A MEN!!!!

Loading for "REAL" 600 yard+ accuracy will set most people back at least 8 hrs for 20 rounds or less that meet "A batch standards"!!! Depending on their experience level and equipment of course, but your NOT using a turret press, or automatic powder measure on those babies!  Case prep alone is HOURS of time.

But again I digress...  Seems like an amazing number of posters here can shoot these ranges all day with factory loads.  That, or thier loads are so secret they wont share ANY info.... 

Used 700's can be a GREAT deal at the right price!  Good luck.

The heavy barrels really only help after the first round...  Cold bore shots will be just as good from a light / skinny barrel.  But that's another huge arguement I wont be drawn into.

Tom, any guy making a 1000 yard shot with iron sights is THE MAN!  I know they currently have these shooting compentitions every year, and it'll NEVER cease to astound me.  I'm guessing a LOT of the WWII shots made this way were not on the first try, but kinda "hail mary", and "why not try?!?!" things.

tombogan03884

« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2009, 08:12:29 PM »
 The sights on the 03 Springfield was CALIBRATED to 1200 yards.

As for me, I've never seen a range, including in the Marines that would accommodate 1,000 yard shots.
1978 The Marine snipers for 2nd MarDiv went to the same range I did, they went across the street and shoot between the barracks for a range of 800 yards.

Sponsor

« Reply #45 on: Today at 05:13:46 PM »

Badgersmilk

« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2009, 08:48:55 PM »
You got me curious...  I just looked at my 91/30...  Hold on to your hats here!  100-2000 yards :o, the AK goes out to 800 yards, Mauser's marked for 2,000 :o, and the SKS is good for 1,000.

WHEW HOO!  Optimism!  At the least a good sense of humor :)

tombogan03884

« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2009, 10:06:24 PM »
You got me curious...  I just looked at my 91/30...  Hold on to your hats here!  100-2000 yards :o, the AK goes out to 800 yards, Mauser's marked for 2,000 :o, and the SKS is good for 1,000.

WHEW HOO!  Optimism!  At the least a good sense of humor :)

Not yards, Arshins, it's a Russian measurement equal to  (I think ) 28 inches.

Badgersmilk

« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2009, 10:18:43 PM »
Never Knew that!  I would have guessed meters actually.

If I'm doing the math right, that'd translate the "20" mark on the sights of Mosin's as 1556 yards.  Phwewwwy!  LONG SHOT!

The SKS would be 778 yards, the AK would be 622 yards...  They shoot better than me!!!

The 20 on the Mauser would be meters wouldnt it?

THANKS FOR THE INFO!!!

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2009, 10:46:00 PM »
Tom, although we have never met, I walk the walk and talk the talk, Anyone is welcome to take me to task, Badger, you don't have the experience to comment on long range shooting, 600 and beyond takes skill, and I have trained and applied it, anyone who has not trained, has no idea, We don't do armchair quarterbacks on this forum.  If you want to hang around here, get more information, training, and experience, before making hipshot  comments. I own ak's, sks's, and less thought of rifles, but take them and try them to larger distances, and they are not bad, My M1A is better and more predictable, however, we need to know what the opposition can do, and if I'm behind the trigger, under 500 yards, LOOK Out with these rifles. Now to my true long range rifles, that is the difference between head shots and body shots. Both work, but head shots are final.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

fullautovalmet76

« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2009, 11:32:57 PM »
I love long range shooting and have tremendous respect for those, like M25, who can hit targets out beyond 500 yards. For me, if I can get a biscuit size group at 200 yards I am happy!

Here's a link that some might find enlightening:
http://www.appleseedinfo.org/as_faq.htm

In the first paragraph they mention that shooting at 500 yards was common in the days of the Revolutionary War. And these shots were taken with muskets! With practice and work, shots beyond 500 yards can and have been done with what we would say is antiquated equipment by today's standards. Like any other extreme sport or skill, at a certain point it is God given talent, along with a matching work ethic, that kicks in.....Carlos Hathcock comes to mind.....

M25 I think that's great that you can take long range shots and be very accurate. You're probably in that part of the distribution curve where you are in the sub-five percent category. If you ever video some of your shots, post them as I bet they would be cool to see.
 8)  8)  8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk