Poll

Which is the best?

M1 Garand
Mosin-Nagant M91
Lee-Enfield SMLE mkIII/IV
Mauser Gewehr 98
Arisaka rifle

Author Topic: Best WWII infantry battle rifle  (Read 40155 times)

tombogan03884

Re: Best WWII infantry battle rifle
« Reply #90 on: June 25, 2009, 11:28:56 AM »

the M1 is not exactly a light wieght either...

Thompson weighed a ton to, that's what made the M-1 and M-2 Carbines so popular  ;D

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #91 on: June 25, 2009, 11:37:09 AM »
you know its funny, my grandfather was a BAR man...  after the 1st fire fight, he never complained about the wieght   ;D
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Badgersmilk

« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2009, 02:17:44 PM »
BAR's draw A LOT of attention durring a fire fight.  Make the shooter an obvious, slow moving target.  Who would you shoot at first in a group of guys with Garands, Carbines, Thompsons, and a BAR??  THINGS ARE LOUD.

Carbines handle so well you nearly forget your carrying them until you need it, much quicker on target, controlable in full auto (aim for his right knee cap), and you dont need an extra guy just to carry your ammo...  May not kill on the first shot everytime, but follow up shots are quick, and with one round in the guy he's more of a liability than if he'd just croaked right away anyhow.  Unlike .223, .30 cal will rarely fail to take a person out of the combat scene.  .45ACP has done a fine job proving you dont need a ton of muzzle velocity over the ages, and "most rifle combat takes place under 70 yards".

BAR's are sure handy if the other guy is in a vehicle, building, or behind cover!

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2009, 02:27:51 PM »
Thompson weighed a ton to, that's what made the M-1 and M-2 Carbines so popular  ;D
Thats the classic dilemna. If given your choice as to whether you would rather engage the enemy with an M-14 or an M-4, an easy answer. Now add in the question of which you want to hump 20 miles a day up and down hills with 200 rounds, it gets a little less easy. :-\
FQ13

Badgersmilk

« Reply #94 on: June 26, 2009, 03:23:06 PM »
Thompson's needed a little heft.  Pretty good recoil going on there!  Probably why you didnt see a lot of troops toteing those. 
From most of the WWII vets I've talked to they carried anything they wanted most of the time "battlefield pickups", unless they were going on a small scouting mission or something, then the first sergant told them each what to take and leave behind.  And while they ALL told stories about the Garand, the more you talk to them the more you hear slip about them not actually likeing anything about them...  But that was what they were given.  And it was a lot easier to shoot than the enemy's bolt actions.

I sure wish we could have issued them AK's!

Sponsor

« Reply #95 on: Today at 05:56:53 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2009, 05:05:33 PM »
Thompson's needed a little heft. Pretty good recoil going on there!  Probably why you didnt see a lot of troops toteing those. 
From most of the WWII vets I've talked to they carried anything they wanted most of the time "battlefield pickups", unless they were going on a small scouting mission or something, then the first sergant told them each what to take and leave behind.  And while they ALL told stories about the Garand, the more you talk to them the more you hear slip about them not actually likeing anything about them...  But that was what they were given.  And it was a lot easier to shoot than the enemy's bolt actions.

I sure wish we could have issued them AK's!

It's a PISTOL round, were do you get this recoil crap ? It was heavy because it was made from all MACHINED  parts. The stamped sheet metal M-3 grease gun was much lighter and no more difficult to control, Try them some time.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #96 on: June 26, 2009, 05:17:19 PM »
It's a PISTOL round, were do you get this recoil crap ? It was heavy because it was made from all MACHINED  parts. The stamped sheet metal M-3 grease gun was much lighter and no more difficult to control, Try them some time.

having fired both FA, the grease gun is alot harder to control.  not to mention the sites are pretty much junk...  but min of  man at 50 yds is fine when your shooting a sub gun.   ;D 

there is no doubt about it, you put 3+ 45 acp in some one, they are going to have a very bad day.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Badgersmilk

« Reply #97 on: June 26, 2009, 06:50:19 PM »
.45 full auto...  "Pretty good recoil!".  It's GONNA climb.  Well, unless you've got a drum on it...  Dont think military used those.  Might be wrong.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: June 26, 2009, 09:27:59 PM »
.45 full auto...  "Pretty good recoil!".  It's GONNA climb.  Well, unless you've got a drum on it...  Dont think military used those.  Might be wrong.
No, they used a thirty round mag. The drums tended to jam. Better (and cheaper) to change mags when number thirty one went click, than say, "Oh Crap"! when number 15 jammed.
FQ13

DesertMarine

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: July 03, 2009, 08:31:36 AM »
In my life as infrantryman and Recon, I carried the M1 Garand, M14 and M16.  Pretty knowledgable on the BAR.  I'll take the Garand and the BAR.  The BAR weighs 19 lbs but in a firefight it is worth it's weight in gold.  The smallest guys were always designated as BAR men, they were tough.  It was accurate and if you were good enough, you could fire single aimed shots. The Garand weighs 9.5 lbs but you got used to it and it was nice to be able to reach out and touch someone.  500 yd shots were easy once you got sighted in.  The ping of the clip coming out, how noticeable would it be with the noise of firefight in progress, not much if any.  M16, love it, but prefer the Garand.
Never cared much for the M14, I could not hit with it as well as the Garand.  Lot's of guys loved it.  Full-auto fire, forget it, after 1st round, every shot was in the air. 
Grease gun, shot it a bit and it was ok, recoil not bad, but yes it climbed but then so does the M16 but you learn to control.

DesertMarine

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk