Author Topic: Smoke'em if ya got'em...ammo availability  (Read 128102 times)

r_w

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Smoke'em if ya got'em...ammo availability
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 12:39:26 PM »
Midway Wolf 7.62X39 $350+ /1000 sold out no back order.

I think the no back order thing is how they deal with not knowing what the new price will be when they can get it in. 
"Why are you carrying a pistol?  Expecting trouble?"

"No Maam.  If I was expecting trouble, I'd have a rifle."

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 03:47:38 PM »
One of the local shops has a couple of cases of PMC Bronze in .223, 55gr FMJ, about 46 cents per round - obviously retail but on the shelf. I'm not familiar with PMC Bronze, can anyone help here, is this a decent rount?

Have a little over 750 rds. of PMC Bronze, shot 250 rds. in my Sig 556 with NO issues, misfires, FTF, or FTE.
Pretty solid round.

Me and a shooting partner split a 2000rd. order,from ammoman.com, when they had it. Glad the shipping was free, (might not be now). That load was heavy.

I didn't really notice it more "sooty" than other brands. After shooting 5 30rd mags, it wasn't any dirtier.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Badgersmilk

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 04:46:03 PM »
I'd guess Midway's handleing this the same way I and other vendors did in the past (regardless of product).  Once they have more than a certain number of backorders they quit taking them until they can catch up.  That way customers dont start getting bent out of shape thinking.  "CRAP!  I backordered that three months ago and havent heard a thing!  JERKS!"  If that happens Midway not only looses that one order, but any future business from that customer because he feels Midway gave them the shaft.

My money would say the boys at Midway have lost MUCH sleep trying to figure out how to get you / me the ammo we want to buy!  Their just caught in the middle along with all the others.

My wife deals in metal sales every day.  She and others will tell you while demand is up, & brass, copper, steel, and lead are a little harder and more expensive to get in large quantity these days, the supply of raw materials would NOT cause anything like the bottle neck we're seeing in this industry!  Dont believe anyone trying to use raw material availability as an excuse.

tombogan03884

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 05:07:27 PM »
 I think it is more likely a combination of ALL the factors we have discussed here.

Timothy

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 06:42:54 PM »
Just bought another 200 rounds of .45 ACP.

Any states that may have a Dicks Sporting Goods, they had plenty of 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, .380, plenty of revolver calibers and a ton of rifle cartridges in stock.  Didn't take inventory of the rifle stock cause I don't shoot any.  Can't hunt with a rifle in this state.  Everything appeared to be on sale if you buy by the case...

Boatloads of shotgun shells as well..

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 04:28:11 AM »

Hottrockin

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Be wise, use every advantage!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2009, 06:58:40 PM »
Tons of thanks for the info Timothy!  Keep'em coming!
NRA Member

Badgersmilk

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2009, 08:25:37 PM »
Timothy,  Gonna stop in there tommarow.  Thanks!  "cant hunt with a rifle!?!"  Your allowed shotguns right?

In Michigan we're only allowed rifles in the northern (less populated) half of the state.  They allow people to hunt deer with .410's here...   :-\

Timothy

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2009, 08:31:39 PM »
Timothy,  Gonna stop in there tommarow.  Thanks!  "cant hunt with a rifle!?!"  Your allowed shotguns right?

In Michigan we're only allowed rifles in the northern (less populated) half of the state.  They allow people to hunt deer with .410's here...   :-\

Nope, not deer anyway.  I think you can hunt coyote in the western hills of MA.  Not too sure.  Shotgun and muzzle loaders are fine.

I grew up in MI so I'm quite familiar with the hunting regs.  It's not due to population as much as the terrain.  The southern half of MI is pretty flat (but you knew that).   ::)  I hunted primarliy around western MI for small game and up near Cadilac for deer, town called Leroy.  My great, great, grand daddy founded the town...

Don't knock the .410, I watched a 9-10 year old girl drop a doe in it's tracks with one...

Badgersmilk

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2009, 04:59:54 PM »
Kinda surprised to hear you talk about coyote hunting in MA.  I guess the things have made their way into every state by now though.  Kinda stinks.  I've noticed they run off all the fox when they move in, of course rabbit hunting falls off to NILL.  Even grouse seem to thin out.

If you've been hunting up in that neck of the woods (mid-michigan) you likely have been to "Jay's".  LOVE that place!  More guns under one roof than I think I'll see anywhere else in my life!  Plus an army / navy store in the same building, dirt bike and atv shop 50 yards away, & you can buy any breed of dog in the world out of the back of somebody's car in their parking lot!  That parts a little weird no doubt.  But two of the three of our dogs (German short hair pointers) came from there with papers for under $200.!

How many places have all that?!?

tommy tornado

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2009, 01:44:26 PM »
About to finish up reloading 600 rounds of .357 Mag, but now the problem is going to be finding more primers.  I am down to my last 1,000 small pistol.  Hopefully, I can catch a shipment on a website or local shop.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk