Author Topic: Smoke'em if ya got'em...ammo availability  (Read 128171 times)

tfr270

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Smoke'em if ya got'em...ammo availability
« Reply #90 on: May 01, 2009, 07:52:25 PM »
For those of us in California Bay Area Marin Firearms in Novato has recieved a huge shipment of .40, .357, .38 and has full shelves. I went there today and bought some .357 and .38. I should have bought the .40 cal HK compact they put in my hand and all of the .40 cal on the shelves...but I don't have the money for that purchase! The .38 and .357 I bought was around $28 per box of 50.

Here's a story from a good source that should chill us to the bone...

The military has until July to stock up on ammunition. The majority of manufacturing is going to that right now. Between now and then the administration is going to try and pass all those ammunition laws they have written, making it harder for us to load, buy, and own ammo.

Also, Wall Mart, at least here in Sonoma County, and probably elsewhere, gets their daily shipment of ammunition around 10pm. They are open until eleven. The first ones in line are the local Mexican gang bangers who buy all the hangun ammo before it gets on the shelves. Yeah, heresay, but from a good source who is a good man.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #91 on: May 02, 2009, 11:04:12 PM »
Also, Wall Mart, at least here in Sonoma County, and probably elsewhere, gets their daily shipment of ammunition around 10pm. They are open until eleven. The first ones in line are the local Mexican gang bangers who buy all the hangun ammo before it gets on the shelves. Yeah, heresay, but from a good source who is a good man.

Actually, I believe this. While the stories about full auto weapons coming into Mexico from the US are complete BS., the same is not true of ammo. It is illegal to own anything but .22 and shotgun shells with bird shot in the country without a permit, and the penalties are very steep. I used to  hunt in South Texas a few miles north of Laredo, and before we would drive down to Nueva Laredo for .50% beers and .75% margaheitas, we would scour who ever's car we were driving for ANY stray ammo, as a single 30-06 round was good for years in a Mexican prison. The Federales were being real bastards about it as the country was pissed off about the fact that a Mexican national had been executed without being informed of his right to contact his embassy, as is required by treaty. (No sympathy for the man, but another example of how law enforcement needs to do things right when dealing with stuff like the death penalty to avoid potential down range consequences). Anyway, if you thik $40 is expensive for a box of 9mm, try buying it on the black market inTijijuana..... There is no doubt that the drug gangs are probably driving up the price in border areas since if they can smuggle 800 pounds of pot in, they can sure smuggle 800 pounds of ammo out.
FQ13 who is wondering if anyone else thinks that the collateral damage in the drug war is outweighing the benefits

mosbear

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: May 04, 2009, 04:02:52 PM »
Got lucky past Saturday!
My dear wife went shopping and called me from the Walmart before coming home. Just out of curiosity I've asked her to check the Sporting Goods department for the ammo. They had bare shelves for month. To my surprise she called me back and said they have 9 mm in stock. I told her to by all of it. She didn't even asked me why, just said OK. She called back within a minute or so and told me that the limit was set at six boxes. Better then nothing. From now on she's chief ammo buyer in our family. ;D

Hottrockin

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Be wise, use every advantage!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: May 04, 2009, 06:29:51 PM »
Nice find!

Keep'em comin' gang!
NRA Member

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: May 06, 2009, 09:58:14 PM »
Just happened to be standing at the gun shop/range when a white truck pulled up. Ammo delivery. Was able to pick up several boxes of Federal Personal Defense rounds in .40 Smith and Wesson. Been a good day.

Sponsor

« Reply #95 on: Today at 12:10:21 AM »

Gossamer

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: May 06, 2009, 10:37:01 PM »
I went to the local Meijer to get my wife a Mother's Day present today and then wandered through the sporting goods isle. I got the last box of Win .22LR 500 round box for $9.99. Strangly they had lots of rifle ammo and shotgun slugs but NO centerfire handgun ammo. Lots of 16 gauge slugs for $3.49 a box.

There is still ammo out there it is just the odd stuff.

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: May 09, 2009, 12:31:27 PM »
My local Meijer's has 12 ga. 2 3/4 rifled slugs on sale thru May 30 for $2.99 / box of 5.  They have cases and cases of the stuff.  They have had this since last fall aparently someone mistakenly ordered too much.  A Meijer employee said they are going to stop carring ammo.

I regularly pass 3 Wally Worlds and stop in frequently just to check about ammo.  It is hit or miss on pistol ammo  I've gotten lucky a few times and have picked up some 9mm and some .40 cal to last a little while.  Managed to get 1 100pack of .38 and a  50 box of .32.  Keep getting there a little to late for .45 ACP, but they have been getting some in.  They have a 6 box limit.  Have never found any .380 at WW.  Haven't seen much in .223 or .308, but haven't really been looking for it.
The Wally World people have told me that none of the popular calibers are shown as being in stock at the warehouse, it just shows up a case here and there, and sometimes just a box.  The cases seldom get stocked as they open the cases and it is being bought immediately before they can even put it on the shelf.
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

Timothy

« Reply #97 on: May 09, 2009, 12:41:13 PM »
For the rest of the forum, Meijers is the originator of the so called "Super Store" in MI and IN. 

Freddie Meijer invented the department store, sporting goods, lumber yard, grocery store, gas station and tire store "all under one roof" concept in the late sixties.  It's the one place in MI for all of your household and outdoor needs....now they have liquor, shoestores, hair salons, banks, florists, coffee houses and snack bars....the whole nine and then some...

God I miss Michigan!

I know Dougs wife from high school...

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: May 09, 2009, 01:01:28 PM »
Meijers does a lot for the community also.  They are Grand Rapids based and do a lot to support both the colleges in west Michigan my daughters go to.

Several years back I went to Meijer early on Thanksgiving day for a Christmas shopping special that was only for a few hours.  I was in the sporting goods section when a gentleman aked if he could hep, but I was just looking.  Another employee appeared and the first gentleman said hello to him by name and they chatted briefly and the first genmtleman thanked the second employee for doing a good job, working Thanksgiving, and wished him a Happy Thanksgiving.  The first gentleman was one of the Meijers.  That always impressed me that he was thoughtful enough to be at one of their stores Thanksgiving day and positively interacting with customers and employees when he could just of easily been at  a family gathering.  He didn't just run down to the nearest store to do this either, the store i saw him at was 90 miles from Grand Rapids.  The second employee had a lot of praises for the Meijer that was at the store that day and the Meijers as a whole.
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: May 09, 2009, 01:07:55 PM »
I went to the local Meijer to get my wife a Mother's Day present today and then wandered through the sporting goods isle. I got the last box of Win .22LR 500 round box for $9.99. Strangly they had lots of rifle ammo and shotgun slugs but NO centerfire handgun ammo. Lots of 16 gauge slugs for $3.49 a box.

There is still ammo out there it is just the odd stuff.

Buy your hunting ammo early this year, boys and girls!
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk