Author Topic: Smoke'em if ya got'em...ammo availability  (Read 129139 times)

Badgersmilk

Re: Smoke'em if ya got'em...ammo availability
« Reply #160 on: June 20, 2009, 10:04:17 PM »
To this point.  Only an AK, and SKS.  What I REALLY want.  Drool over once in a while when I see one, but just cant bring myself to buy...  http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_799.asp

The reloads make a HUGE improvement in the accuracy of the two semi-auto's, and with todays prices its actually cost effective.  I've just got to many other calibers I want to drop the cash down on the Remington (its actually a really well made rifle for them from CZ, CZ just stamps the Remington name on them, I havent seen the CZ version in stores here yet).

Great!  Now you've got me thinking about it and wanting to go get one again...

I've found a few of these M10's popping up to.  AMAZING build quality!!!

http://www.australianinternationalarms.com.au/product.htm

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #161 on: June 20, 2009, 10:07:32 PM »
Badger,

Like I tell everyone...If ya want accurate, buy a Savage.  ;)
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

philw

• Top Forum Member
  • Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi
    • Australian Hunting Net
  • Liked:
« Reply #162 on: June 20, 2009, 10:29:27 PM »

I've found a few of these M10's popping up to.  AMAZING build quality!!!

http://www.australianinternationalarms.com.au/product.htm

Yep   Had to reply to this one

the good old Lee-Enfield No 4   ;D ;D ;D ;D   

I have thought about getting one of these rifles   ( after I get a few more 303's  ) 

I have only heard good things about these rifles 
Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. The only thing you can’t do is ignore them

Badgersmilk

« Reply #163 on: June 20, 2009, 10:41:31 PM »
Savage doesnt make anything in 7.62 x 39.  I know their newest stuff is reported to be SUPER accurate.  But to look close at their rifles in the stores and see the machining marks left all over them, loose fitting parts, & generally ugly finishes on both metal and wood surfaces.  I just have a super hard time believing what I read in all the press.  Especially knowing they'll say anything to make a buck and promote new products.

I own an older Savage 110 chambered in .270 Win. that shoots pretty darn good for a light barrel gun.  Laminated stock and a polished bolt and trigger sure make it pretty!  Trigger breaks clean at 1lb 8ozs., and I bedded the action.  But I'll never use it just because I dont really like the caliber at all, & the fact that its a Savage.  I just plain dont like the gun!  My dad gave it to me, we used to hunt ground hog with it (only reason I keep it aside from it being so darn pretty!).  I'm going to visit in a few weeks and plan to give it back...  I just dont like the thing even being in my safe.

The pic doesnt begin to do it justice.  Especially when the Springfield 1 1/4" leather strap is on it...  Dont know why I hate it for sure...  Probably need theropy!  ;D  If it were a heavier barrel 30/06 I'd take it everywhere!  Best to just give it back...  Bad barrel, in a bad caliber, with a bad scope!  Not worth a rebuild.

Badgersmilk

Sponsor

« Reply #165 on: Today at 04:44:47 PM »

Kid Shelleen

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #165 on: June 22, 2009, 02:43:22 PM »
My Wally World was chocked full of ammo this past Saturday. Had almost all calibers for handguns, except .380 acp. and a decent selection of rifle ammo.

Had the six box limit so I got my six and my wife went back for 6 more right after I got home.
“What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that the people preserve the spirit of resistance?”

Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #166 on: June 22, 2009, 03:34:29 PM »
The only Semi auto I ever saw that was "Rough on brass", was the G 3's fluted chamber. As for 99% of military ammo being steel, the only steel cased ammo I have ever encountered was East European/Chinese.

Most HK and clone semi's will ding the brass pretty seriously, as will the Galil. At the Appleseed last year one guy had 2 Galil's - pre-ban BTW - and I was excited when I found out he didn't reload, had too much surplus ammo he said. I scooped up his brass before it became known it was available - and there on the side as a serious dent caused by the charging handle during ejection. Both the 7.62 and 5.56 had the dings.

My CETME does the same thing.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #167 on: June 23, 2009, 08:26:40 PM »
The local market in my area is starting to look pretty good for us consumers.

I went to a local gun store the other day and the shelves were literally overflowing with ammo..... I simply can not underestimate how much ammo they had in stock... they had cases and cases of literally anything you could want. Everything had about a 25% premium compared to pre-election pricing, but ammo was in great abundance.

The most interesting thing, however was the pricing and availability of ARs and AKs -- Prices are down and supply is up. I will first say that this store is pretty pricey. Almost all of their firearms usually carry about a 20% premium with regards to what you could pay elsewhere if you do a little shopping. Anyway, About two months ago you could not touch an AR in that place for under $1200 or an AK for under $1000..... and they were not really brands that you would really be thrilled about buying either. Now ARs are down to $1000 for top quality brands and AKs are starting at $800.... and they had a deep supply of both.

The store was also darn near empty.... You usually have to elbow your way up to the display case to drool all over their inventory, and if you want to shoot at their 20 lane firing range then you will have to take a number and wait....... neither were the case this day.

It will be interesting to see if all that ammo will sell or if they may have to make a price point adjustment to get it to move.
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

Badgersmilk

« Reply #168 on: June 26, 2009, 08:58:30 PM »
"The local market in my area is starting to look pretty good for us consumers.

I went to a local gun store the other day and the shelves were literally overflowing with ammo..... "

X2 for Michigan.  Prices arent great, but they've come down, and most places have full or close to full shelves now.

Timothy

« Reply #169 on: June 27, 2009, 07:59:27 PM »
Went out to Bass Pro to stock up on cleaning supplies and managed to score a couple of boxes of .38 special.  Could have bought about 1000 rounds but figured things are starting to level off.  Nothing in .45 but plenty of 9mm, some .40 and lots of defensive stuff.

Rifle cartridges in .270, .308, 7.62 were plentiful though not overflowing and even .223 was abundent.  Maybe things ARE turning around.  Could not find any primers guys.  I even asked figuring I could buy them and somehow ship them to those of you that load but no dice..

And the beat goes on!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk