Author Topic: Glocks all shoot high?  (Read 19171 times)

Badgersmilk

Glocks all shoot high?
« on: March 18, 2009, 09:37:31 AM »
What am I doing wrong here?  With the factory sights my 30 would shoot 2" high at 25 yards.  This is if I cover the bottom half of the bulls eye on the target with the front sight blade.  I picked up the XS tritium sights you see here and get the same thing.  If I were to shoot it as shown in the picture I'd be about 6" high at 25 yards.  If I put the little dot in the middle of the front white dot just barely visible over the rear blade, and cover half the bulls eye I'm still 2" high, same as factory.  So shooting at night when only the tritium is visible I'd STILL be 2" high.

Shot a friends 20 with factory sights and IT hit 2" high as well.  He said he just "remembers and compensates".  I've seen other guys with front blades that were really tall (avatar is one), and I'm guessing thats the only cure.  But big front blades can be a problem coming out of holsters.  I havent seen any lower rear sights as yet.

Badgersmilk

Re: Glocks all shoot high?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 09:50:32 AM »
While I'm on the Glock, anybody know who makes the little laser on this gun?  I've seen several like it, but they looked bigger and of lower quality.  This one looks pretty nice!

Isnt the guide rod missing here?

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 09:51:48 AM »
What am I doing wrong here?  

You bought a Glock.  

;D
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Badgersmilk

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 11:05:51 AM »
I like that they only have what they need.  And so long as you put cartridges in it...  It's gonna shoot!  Much like a revolver.  No "oops, safety's on", never had a jam yet, no goofy decocking lever hanging on it (lamest idea in hand gun history?), I think they show quality engineering and machining considering their formed in a press from melted down pop bottles and baby diapers (JUST KIDDING!  RELAX!).

I did replace the guide rod in mine with a S.S. one.  Plastic one just seemed to flimsy, possible reliability concern.

I'd trust mine as much as any handgun to defend my life (NOT a good place to be!). :(

It in a small holster with two spare magazines fit nicely in this owners manual cover!  Whats funny is I've kept it in a Ford, and a Dodge, several people have seen it, even picked it up and moved it while looking for stuff in my trucks and they never looked twice or paused for a second to notice it!

r_w

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 01:16:10 PM »
I did replace the guide rod in mine with a S.S. one.  Plastic one just seemed to flimsy, possible reliability concern.

Somewhere there was a video floating around of putting a thousand rounds downrange ASAP.  MELTED THE GUIDEROD.  Still went bang.

I don't know if Glocks set the sights for 50yds or if it is just 1911 shooters point them high, but I have seen the same thing in my limited experience. 
"Why are you carrying a pistol?  Expecting trouble?"

"No Maam.  If I was expecting trouble, I'd have a rifle."

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:48:36 AM »

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 01:37:40 PM »
I had intended to weigh in as an expert here. I mean, I have drunk the Glock cool-aid to the point that my eyeballs float. I thought about whether my 15 year old 17 shoots high, and I realized that I honestly don't know. As I've said before, as a left hand/ left eye dominant guy who just sucks it up and shoots pistols right handed, I point more than aim.I have put more rounds down range with that pistol than I can count (plastic guide rod's still fine too), but I can't picture the actual formal sight picture. I just register, barely, when its right, and I squeeze. I'm not a target shooter, I'm looking for 3"-4" at 25 yards and I get it. Use the force Luke. Its the best I can do. :-\
fightingquaker13

ratcatcher55

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 02:24:55 PM »
I would say 2" high at 25 yards seems about right for my G19 and G26

I hold below the A zone to float rounds in the IDPA qualifier or at the bottom of a plate when shooting a rack.

I hold on the Q for qualifier to get chest hits.

My shot scatter on the target is more than 2 inches at that range so I can live with it.

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 03:38:42 PM »
My shot scatter on the target is more than 2 inches at that range so I can live with it.

There it is in a nut shell.... unless you are shooting off a bench rest or out of a pistol vise, you wont even notice it.

Two Words: Combat Accuracy

Rob, would you like to give the lecture on this?
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

Badgersmilk

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 05:01:14 PM »
I appreciate what your saying about shooting a 2" pattern and calling it good.  I'd be VERY happy if I could shot that free handed at 25 yards consistantly.  I currently cant with this gun.  Not being able to put the sights where I like is a good part of it when shooting fast. 

But getting that accuracy or better in "combat" is a matter of pre-meditated tolerance stack up.  The more you can eliminate from each variable the better the end tollerance (your pattern, or likelyhood seeing the "pink mist").  A second reason I added the S.S. guide rod was I feel (not stating it as fact or anything) a more ridgid guide rod helps with repeatability between shots and cycle time.  Maybe not, I just trust the gun more now is what it amounts to.

Kinda glad to hear other people are seeing the "shooting high" thing though.  At least its not some problem with my particular gun!  Honestly I've got other hand guns that were set that way from the factory, but they were all adjustable, and adjust I did.

Setting the sights on a compact automatic at 50 yards seems...  "Impractical" at best.

kmbrman

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 05:45:20 PM »
My previous Glock 22 ,shot about 2" high at about 25yds also. Solved it's problem with adjustable sight set.  Replaced the cheap front sight with a steel serated blade I ordered, and the Standard Glock adj. rear. But you are all right about the too high problem, only the Model 30's I've shot shoot POI -POA.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk