Author Topic: Glocks all shoot high?  (Read 19168 times)

Rob10ring

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Glocks all shoot high?
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2009, 07:34:43 PM »
Fuz,

Sold the Beretta's?  Mind me asking why?  I'm guessing you had 92's, and have never owned one, but they seem like a good option for 9mm.
I got one and after having the factory replace a faulty hammer, I was awesome with that gun. So, I bought a stainless version as well. It shot pretty well, but the trigger had a 19 lb trigger pull. It turned out that it was bad too. I got the trigger fixed and it was pretty sweet. It just got to where it had been 10 years and I never shot them anymore and they were a little finicky anyway. I have 5 other 9's anyway, so I sold them off to get what I've never had any problem of finickiness with, Glocks!

Plus, I have an "Made in Italy" Beretta 96 Centurion that is compeltely reliable. I almost sold it too, but a buddy at the range suggested I hold on to it.

dj454

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2009, 07:58:39 PM »
I have 2 Glock's a model 20 and 22 and both shoot point of aim. My friend has a model 21 and it shoots point of aim also. It's hard to say maybe if someone else shoot's it that is used to a Glock. Maybe try a sub 6 oclock hold. I have to do this with my Sig P226 which was a police gun and has a really tall rear sight. Also when I first started shooting a Glock I switched from a 1911 and it took some getting used to. I did a lot of dry fire practice and it helped me and I still do a lot of dry fire practice. No boom but it is free and I can do it in the house. Good luck I hope this helps.

Badgersmilk

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2009, 01:42:24 PM »
Well...  Didnt get to far with the phone call.  It amounted to.  "Everybody shoots different, no two people will see the same thing.  We sell shorter rear sights the will make it shoot where you like".  I twice asked if the sights were set for poa / poi at 50 meters, or if not what range." both answer's "no, absoluely not, we have shorter sights that should put you where you want to hit.  Both yours and your friends gun have the same rear blade, all 10 mm's and .45's have a taller blade than the others, we sell shorter blades that'll get you on target."

I like the tritium sights I've got enough to not go back to factory white dot.  Guess I'll just learn to hold low with this gun!

Cant help but wonder about you guys mentioning poa/poi being set at 50 yards though.  These guns have features only there to meet police or mil spec.'s, it may have been something to do with that. 

Along with the great mystery of how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop.  "The world may never know!" :)

ratcatcher55

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2009, 02:30:36 PM »
Badgersmilk,

Are you sighting using the center of the dot or the top of the dot?

My 45 with night sights shoots high of the top of the post but is dead on at 25 yard on the luminesent dot.

I find the bigger dots more difficult to be percise at longer ranges but very fast in close.

For what it's worth, I've never heard of a 50 yard/meter milspec or LEO spec. on handguns.

Good luck

Rob Pincus

• CO-HOST ON BEST DEFENSE
  • Top Forum Member
    • I.C.E. Training Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2009, 02:33:45 PM »
Okay guys... this one has gone on awhile... Sorry I missed the page while I was in Europe (Eric, thanks for covering...).

A few things:

1. Avoid Absolutes: "All glocks..." is a bold statement to start any sentence with....

2. If you want to shoot at 25 yards, there are better guns than Glocks and CERTAINLY better sights than the XS. Both were designed for efficient defensive use.

3. Grip angle with Glocks is uncomfortable for some people and if you been using a "flat mainspring housing" type gun, the swell can cause the gun to point awkwardly, BUT IF you are aligning the sights properly, the grip angle isn't involved... if the sight-alignment and sight-picture are "right", you could be holding the gun between your feet and the gun will shoot where it is supposed to.... obviously, this will require the sights to be properly aligned in the first place.

4. If the sights are not properly aligned, get a different height front or rear sight, as recommended to fix up & down and use a proper adjustment tool on the rear sight to fix right & left issues.

Badgersm, great that you contacted Glock to get the answer, btw.... the manufacturers usually are able to give the right answers!

-RJP

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 03:38:30 AM »

metamurph

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2009, 03:35:48 PM »
So, I just picked up a Glock 19 yesterday with the standard "platstic" sites and one thing I noticed is that if you are using the white dot on the front site and trying to bring it up so you see it all in the notch, I will be pointing high...ie the top edge is well above the top edge of the back site.  when everything is correctly aligned I only see 1/2 to 5/8s of the dot but I am looking at the edge not the dot.  At any rate if there is any consistency there that would have you shooting high.

tom

Rob10ring

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2009, 08:28:33 PM »
So, I just picked up a Glock 19 yesterday with the standard "platstic" sites and one thing I noticed is that if you are using the white dot on the front site and trying to bring it up so you see it all in the notch, I will be pointing high...ie the top edge is well above the top edge of the back site.  when everything is correctly aligned I only see 1/2 to 5/8s of the dot but I am looking at the edge not the dot.  At any rate if there is any consistency there that would have you shooting high.

tom
I'm jealous. I have the money set aside, but there are no stores around here with any Glocks. The store shelves are empty, not just Glock. I guess, repackaging guns with 10 round magazines is part of the blame. California is taking a back seat, even though a gun salesman from TX just told me that Californians buy the most guns per capita.

Ammo shelves are empty too. I went in what is our areas biggest chain of gun stores and all they had on the shelf was .25 and birdshot. Normally, they have everything, even oddball stuff. They always run an ad on Thursdays and today they posted on their website that there would be no ad this week.

metamurph

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2009, 08:53:08 PM »
I'm jealous. I have the money set aside, but there are no stores around here with any Glocks. The store shelves are empty, not just Glock. I guess, repackaging guns with 10 round magazines is part of the blame. California is taking a back seat, even though a gun salesman from TX just told me that Californians buy the most guns per capita.

Ammo shelves are empty too. I went in what is our areas biggest chain of gun stores and all they had on the shelf was .25 and birdshot. Normally, they have everything, even oddball stuff. They always run an ad on Thursdays and today they posted on their website that there would be no ad this week.

Ammo...that we don't have much of so it may take a while to break this unit in.  Guns there are reasonable numbers of though.  I got a Ruger .22 at the same time since ammo is somewhat available and affordable and they are just plain fun.  The Glocks, 19s at least are Austrian ones, mine came with 2 15 round mags.

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2009, 09:51:55 PM »
I have owned four Glocks and continue to come back to them. I am on my second Glock 17 and bought a Glock 21 Small Frame last year. The Glock 22 I had shot extremelly well. My boys, 13 and 11 can blow out the bullseye at 20 yards. Fortunately, I have not encountered one that shoots high but you are shooting a compact and past experience with shorter barrels my rounds go everywhere with the exception of my Smith and Wesson M&P 9 compact. It is dead on. I always use Hornady TAP Ammo but also use Remington and Winchester at the range.

PS: I feel for you guys who are not able to find ammo. Bought the wife a Ruger LCP and we cannot find .380 rounds for her to go to the range and I paid $31 for a box of 20 Cor Bon Pow'r Ball. Not going to waste them downrange at a paper target. Just hope the gun works if and when we need it.

Badgersmilk

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2009, 10:34:47 PM »
Rob,  I absolutely agree with you.  Not in any way a weapon of choice at 25 yards.  But its good practice.  Even the factory sights were better than the XS's at 25 yards.  I only mentioned 25 yards because thats as far as I've tried shooting it, I found it shooting 2" high on every group from 10 feet & on out (Again, thats just the extremes of the ranges I've tried shooting).  I should try to take a picture to better explain this, but I'll try.  I line these sights up with the top half of bulls eye visible over the very top of the front white spot, I leave the small tritium spot in the middle of the big white spot just barely visible over the rear blade.  Lined up this way my 30 will put the group 2" over the top of the bull's eye every time out to 25 yards with the plastic factory sights, or the XS's. 

The reason I have such a problem over this 2" issue is that I'm going for a head shot every oportunity I can possibly get.  In the heat of the moment, with a dozen other things racing through your mind I dont its a good time to have to pause and think "Oh yeah, this gun hits 2" high, better drop my aim".

Options I see:

1.  Get the laser, dont use the iron sights.  Even quicker target aquisition, but I dont like lasers because I feel they make the shooter as good a target as they do the bad guy.  Plus, I have a BIG problem relying on battery operated gizmo's when if they have a problem, I die!

2. Replace the XS's with a set that has a lower rear blade.  I like the XS's A LOT though! :(

3.  Train myself to shoot this gun low by instinct.  It CAN be done.  Not that big of a deal either.  MOST of my guns I've trained myself what their sight picture should look like before I ever draw them.  Not that any of the others need to be aimed at different points, what I mean is I remember their sights, how they line up, and visualize them on the target before the gun is even there (as I'm drawing it).

I'll be working on #3 for a while before I give up the XS's.  I like them a lot.  Their QUICK!  In the light or dark.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk