Author Topic: 30.06 vs .308 for tactical rifle  (Read 54509 times)

beagleman

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 30.06 vs .308 for tactical rifle
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 05:11:23 PM »
The .308 it is in my opinion is way better then the 30-06 because you can have the gun go from an assault rifle from to a sniper rifle in just a few minuets, if you have the right platform on your rifle.

callithump

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Truth sits on the lips of dying men.
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 09:39:59 PM »
Charlie Hatchcock used an '06 in Nam.
Funny how the "White Feather" came out in .308.

Timothy

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 09:54:12 PM »
I'm reasonably sure that Carlos Hathcock used a Winchester Model 70 chambered in .308...

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 10:41:00 PM »
I'm reasonably sure that Carlos Hathcock used a Winchester Model 70 chambered in .308...

Based on everything that I've ever read or heard on the matter, you are correct...... unless it was waaaaaayyyyy back in his early days.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

callithump

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Truth sits on the lips of dying men.
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 11:31:23 PM »
I will take a 100 dollar bet on it. I'm sure.
You are right that it was a M70 though.
Wiki's wrong, you have to read the book.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 04:32:31 AM »

Timothy

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2009, 07:02:52 AM »
I'll conceed that your correct with .30-06.

Verification by:  http://usmcscoutsniper.org/sniperpages/Carlos.html

and your also right when you say wikipedia is not a good source of actual FACTS.  It's a good place to get a quick answer but should always be backed up by another source...

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2009, 09:03:45 AM »
Glad FQ13 brought this up. Been applying for jobs out west and do not have a good hunting rifle and was wondering about 30 o6 and .308 and would like to have one purchased if I have to move. Looking at bolt action though in case I find something in a anti-AR state. Just ordered a new PSE Bow to accompany me. Life is good.  ;D

shooter32

• shooter32
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2009, 09:22:13 AM »
Glad FQ13 brought this up. Been applying for jobs out west and do not have a good hunting rifle and was wondering about 30 o6 and .308 and would like to have one purchased if I have to move. Looking at bolt action though in case I find something in a anti-AR state. Just ordered a new PSE Bow to accompany me. Life is good.  ;D

Ping, .06 is what I have and it will works on anything out west.

Where about out west are ya headed?
A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. ~ Gerald Ford - August 12, 1974

Timothy

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2009, 09:31:51 AM »
In the last year or so, Field and Stream did a review of the best all around game cartridge and the .30-06 was far and away the preferred round by those that wrote the article.

Tactical?  Unless I need to reach out and touch someone, don't think I'd use either.....give me a sidearm and a 12 ga shotgun.  I'm not gonna give anyone a chance inside my comfort zone....which is getting smaller every year!

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2009, 09:43:22 AM »
Lucky bastard! Speaking from experience, I can tell you that Indiana is a lot prettier in the rearview mirror as well. If you're looking at accuracy for long range go for a savage. Nothing else comes close. For light weight (and looks) I'd look at a ruger M77. I love mine, straight stock, nice wood, gorgeous blueing, weighs about six pounds and I can hit the bottom of a beer can at 100 yds. That being said, if I was right handed, I probably would have bought the Savage in stainless synthetic as the deer won't be impressed by how pretty it is. I'd also reccomend the Bushnell Elite 3500 to put on top. (I use a B@L elite 3000, but I think they're the same thing), it really does give you about thirty minutes more shootable light than you'd have with the naked eye and iron sights.
FQ13

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk