Author Topic: 30.06 vs .308 for tactical rifle  (Read 54503 times)

callithump

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Truth sits on the lips of dying men.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 30.06 vs .308 for tactical rifle
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2009, 03:14:53 AM »
My Father in law is an old Marine and retired Forest Ranger in Montana. When I began hunting with him and asked about caliber he barked 30-06 and that was the end of discussion. The dude was a real Daniel Boone in the woods and took everything from Moose down to Goats with his Winchester. Though I lived in MT for 18 years I am considering places to go as MT isn't what it used to be. Texas is one of them but with all due respect all the land is owned, there is no Forest Service land. I'm not sure how to handle that but I like what I hear from down there.

True_Texan

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2009, 05:13:53 AM »
Texas is a great place to live. Once you get passed the heat and the mosquitoes with wing lights, it is absolutely the best place on earth. (I may be slightly partial, never lived in any other state.)

There are still HUGE amounts of open land. You can come by plots being sold off by some of the aging ranchers relatively cheap. Plus, there are large urban areas, if that's what you're into. I for one, am not...  :P

I do still hold a boy hood fondness of Montana because of a childhood friend's father. He would tell all kinds of great stories about the state when he was a youngster. But, as you pointed out, it ain't what it used to be.

If you decide to move to the greatest place on earth and some how end up near me, (hard to do with so much space) we'll go out, send a few rounds downrange and have a few drinks.

TEXAS RULES!!! WOOOO!
"Before giving someone a piece of your mind, be sure you have enough to spare."

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2009, 10:36:27 AM »
Cours de Lane (Sp?), Idaho was pretty sweet when I passed through it. Traveled there on my way to Seattle after I got out of the Air Force in Great Falls, Montana. The Bob Marshal Wilderness looked like a great place to camp and hunt and I think it borders along Montana and Idaho. Gorgeous land up there. Further up to Glacier National Park in Western Montana is incredible. I visited Glacier before I saw Yellowstone. Glacier blew Yellowstone away in my opinion. I would love to make it back to Montana to hunt and fish. I remember coming upon herds of elk and mule deer. Ring necked pheasant was quite abundant and seeing massive trout in crystal clear streams. While I was stationed out there they were filming the movie "A River Runs Through it". Great flick.
If I was ever able to make it back out there, I would take a .308. The bears were everywhere.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2009, 11:24:04 AM »
My Father in law is an old Marine and retired Forest Ranger in Montana. When I began hunting with him and asked about caliber he barked 30-06 and that was the end of discussion. The dude was a real Daniel Boone in the woods and took everything from Moose down to Goats with his Winchester. Though I lived in MT for 18 years I am considering places to go as MT isn't what it used to be. Texas is one of them but with all due respect all the land is owned, there is no Forest Service land. I'm not sure how to handle that but I like what I hear from down there.
That is the one downside to TX.There is very little public land. Its OK for dove quail and waterfowl,or hogs if you bowhunt, if you're willing to drive. (I lived in Austin and could get where I needed inside of 3hrs or so). Deer was a very different story. I was able to get drawn on one lottery hunt and generally was succesful going standbye for two or three hunts a year. Beyond that, get out your check book. Its not just the price of a paid hunt or getting a lease thats a problem either. The local tradition says high fences and feeders are ok. I didn't criticize it when I lived there, and I won't now, but its not how I prefer to hunt. If you can find a lease with a half dozen or so guys though, you are in deer heaven there. Not mention that the Central Texas Hill Country is just God's country anyway. Plus a lot warmer than Mt.
FQ13

brosometal

• Top Forum Member
  • Still a Grade A 1 smart donkey! DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2009, 10:36:02 PM »
Back to the 06 vs. .308, I was under the impression that the military went to .308 because it was virtually the same ballistics with a smaller package:  i.e. easier to carry more ammo.  M.B. has even mentioned the development of poly shells with brass ends for .50 reducing the weight aboard helicopters enough to allow them to carry 30 or 40% more ammo. 
The person who has nothing for which his is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
- J.S. Mill

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 06:05:11 AM »

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2009, 10:04:37 PM »
Yes Bro's, it was the shorter more efficient cartridge, delivering the same mail, in a military weapon.  06 can do all the .308 can do and some better, but most will never use it to it's full advantage, the shorter action guns are more popular and all the military guns, except the Garand and Bar, and like my previous post the Madsen are not chambered for it. Any Given 06 chambered rifle will not shoot the wide variety of loads available to the best accuracy, yes the sabot loaded 30/06 with the 50-55 grain bullet haul ass, 4,000 fps, but that does not mean they shoot well, Prairie dog at 400 yards good, doubtful. But are they explosive, you bet your ass. The 125 to 300 grn loads, your rifle will like something in between, out to a hundred yards, probably ok for minute of Venison with any of them, personally would not like to shoot with 300 grainers very much.

As far as Texas, yes We own the land, any public land is cool to a point, for those of us, who cannot afford, to lease from individuals, and it has become expensive, but public land is subject to those in government, I would rather deal with an individual than an entity. A new governor cannot shut down landowners with the stroke of a pen.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2009, 10:19:09 PM »
As far as Texas, yes We own the land, any public land is cool to a point, for those of us, who cannot afford, to lease from individuals, and it has become expensive, but public land is subject to those in government, I would rather deal with an individual than an entity. A new governor cannot shut down landowners with the stroke of a pen.
As a good libertarian, I can't mount a principled argument against that. So I'll get sneaky and become practical instead. ;D Texas is unique, in that it was soveriegn before becoming a state, and so there is very little federally claimed land. Thats just a fact and it won't change. But....the future of hunting, and the shooting sports as well as the 2A depends on people having access to hut and fish easily and at a reasonable cost. Otherwise, they'll take up golf instead. It seems to me a wise investment for a variety of reasons to provide a way for blue collar folks, teachers, mechanics etc., to be able to hunt. If they can't they won't take their kids. If they don't what are the odds that their kids will take theirs? Thats what happened in Europe. Hunting was the perogative of the aristocracy, and no no one else gave a damn. As went hunting, so went gun rights. It doesn't require vast public holdings. Kansas leased private lands to let the public hunt birds. CRP land takes hunters as well. It might cost a bit short term, but without a gun culture based not on ideology, but rather childhood memories and current experience we are screwed.
FQ13

True_Texan

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2009, 10:26:02 PM »
How about this FQ, you stay there in Florida and I'll keep Texas. Then you can sit awake at night and wonder who got the better deal.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2009, 10:38:11 PM »
How about this FQ, you stay there in Florida and I'll keep Texas. Then you can sit awake at night and wonder who got the better deal.
You win in a heart beat Tex. If I could find a job within radio range of Austin, I'd be there tomorrow. The thing is, you didn't address my point. Its not academic either. We need, as 2A supporters to nurture a gun culture. I've seen it die in So. Fl., except for SD. This seems like a slender reed upon which to base the future. I have issues with the FUDDS, God knows, but every household with a shotgun in it, is a good thing as far as I'm concerned. The thing is, in grad school at UT, I tried to get my friends to hunt with me. They were not, however, willing to get up at 1:00am and drive south of Houston for ducks, or three hours to Mason to be there by 6:30 on the chance to standby on a deer hunt. I was, because I had the bug. They never got a chance to catch it. How many converts did we lose?
FQ13

True_Texan

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2009, 10:52:30 PM »
You win in a heart beat Tex. If I could find a job within radio range of Austin, I'd be there tomorrow. The thing is, you didn't address my point. Its not academic either. We need, as 2A supporters to nurture a gun culture. I've seen it die in So. Fl., except for SD. This seems like a slender reed upon which to base the future. I have issues with the FUDDS, God knows, but every household with a shotgun in it, is a good thing as far as I'm concerned. The thing is, in grad school at UT, I tried to get my friends to hunt with me. They were not, however, willing to get up at 1:00am and drive south of Houston for ducks, or three hours to Mason to be there by 6:30 on the chance to standby on a deer hunt. I was, because I had the bug. They never got a chance to catch it. How many converts did we lose?
FQ13

Not really going to get into it all, but the main problem with your theory is, you are basing it off a bunch of F&*@tards in Austin. Austin is probably the most liberal, most homosexual inhabited city in Texas. I don't have facts that I can print out and show you, but I don't live much more then an hour away. And on unfortunate occasions, I've had to go there.

So stop making your assumptions off your college days spent in Austin, or any time in Houston for that matter either. It doesn't represent the rest of this great state.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk