Author Topic: Massad Ayoob on the Ruger SR 556  (Read 29414 times)

long762range

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Massad Ayoob on the Ruger SR 556
« on: June 17, 2009, 11:39:21 PM »
http://backwoodshome.com/blogs/MassadAyoob/

New Ruger in Hand
June 11th, 2009 by Mas

As noted here earlier, the rifle is designated SR556, for Sturm, Ruger 5.56 millimeter. It takes standard AR15/M16 magazines, and comes with three of them, produced by Magpul, one of the best makers. It’s the most “vendor-outsourced” firearm this company has ever assembled – really, pretty much everything but the barrel and barrel extension come from outside the factory – but it’s an AR15 clone, after all, and that’s the logical way to make one given the nature of the industry. The trick is to use the best parts.
We toured the production cell at the Newport, New Hampshire plant. Ruger’s switchover to “lean manufacturing” has changed the look of the factory dramatically in the last few years. SR556s were literally flowing off the production line.
But, enough of that: how does it SHOOT?
The subtle feel of the mechanism as it cycles is different from your usual Stoner-type AR15, because the Ruger entry works of a piston design, specifically a proprietary two-piece piston. One of my fellow shooters said, “It feels like a whoosh, not a sproing.” That about describes it, even if it ain’t engineer terminology.
My buddy Russ Lary threw a 6.5-20X variable power Leupold Tactical scope onto his T&E SR556, and cranked it all the way up. Twenty power magnification ain’t much for sophisticated bench rest shooters, but for us meat n’ potatoes riflemen, think “Hubble telescope with crosshairs.” At about 100 yards, he found sub-one-inch groups easy, with Match grade 69 grain and 77 grain loads from Black Hills Ammunition shooting the tightest.
The piston system does indeed run cool. I could race a pair of 30-round magazines through it as fast as I could pull the trigger, and the carrier (bolt) was still room temperature to the touch. I’m told by folks I trust at Ruger that this thing has gone 20,000 rounds without a malfunction OR a cleaning in factory torture-testing. In the several hundred rounds of 5.56mm and .223 Remington that we’ve run through it, we didn’t have any malfs either.
It’s early yet, but I’m likin’ this rifle!
"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous.  If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for."

Kid Shelleen

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Massad Ayoob on the Ruger SR 556
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 12:05:47 AM »
If Mas likes it that much, it's gotta be pretty good.

Now that I'm retired, I'd be happy to review guns and gear for DRTV. Michael, Marshal feel free to call all of the manufacturers and have them begin sending their latest ASAP. I'll start right away and spend all day every day testing and writing my reviews. No charge, of course.
“What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that the people preserve the spirit of resistance?”

Thomas Jefferson, 1787

CurrieS103

• NRA Life Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 07:59:23 AM »
Kid,
I think they need to send it my way first so I can check it out.  Don't want you to have any surprises during your testing. ;D
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. - George Washington

Kid Shelleen

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 11:34:28 AM »
Kid,
I think they need to send it my way first so I can check it out.  Don't want you to have any surprises during your testing. ;D
A mighty generous offer, but you'll have to check out much more. I have offered to test all new weapons and gear from every manufacturer. If you're up to this large and very patriotic task, then I welcome your generous assistance. Of course we'll have to get approval from Michael & Marshal.
“What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that the people preserve the spirit of resistance?”

Thomas Jefferson, 1787

CJS3

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 06:35:18 PM »
If Mas likes it that much, it's gotta be pretty good. 

I have no doubts that it would be good. The only thing keeping it out of my safe is the price. Ruger is awfully proud of their outsourced marvel.
Children, pets, and slaves are taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:29:11 AM »

fullautovalmet76

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 05:41:22 PM »
Here's a podcast from Ayoob on the Ruger SR 556:

http://proarms.podbean.com/

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 08:33:16 PM »
Not just the price. I have zero doubt that this is a fine rifle. I have never owned a ruger I didn't like or found one hundred percent realiable and if had the cash I would come close to buying one. What would make me pause is the gas pston. It might make the rifle better but, this sort of gun is an SHTF weapon. One of the virtues of ARs is that they are common as dirt and if they're mil spec, parts are interchangeable. I'm not sure I wouldn't fgo with a less exalted (and cheaper) AR instead, just to maintain this advantage.
FQ13

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 12:51:23 PM »
So SR doesn't mean SIG Retread?  ;)
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

mudman

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 12:55:40 PM »
No retarded

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 01:58:51 PM »
So SR doesn't mean SIG Retread?  ;)

Welcome Back Jumbo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk