Author Topic: Which AR-15 type Black Rifle  (Read 21824 times)

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
Re: Which AR-15 type Black Rifle
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2008, 06:50:15 AM »
I want to get my first black rifle, but I don't want to sell the farm in order to get it.  Also jamming will put me off on a style of gun faster than grease through a goose.  Right now I'm torn between a S&W M&P , and a Sig 556.  But I could be swayed to 308 as that is a caliber I love.  I need help.....

Both of these are pricey versions of the hi-tech rifles - I have the Sig 556. If you're looking to get started with an AR, go more basic. I picked up a DPMS M4 clone for $700 and it is lovely. It was also little more than half the cost of the Sig. 308 versions are a little more but still less than the Sig or S&W - which is actually a Stag Arms under the skin, or so I'm told.

So keep the farm, maybe sell a cow. If the cow's a good one, you can get enough to get the AR, magazines and ammo and still have range fees left over and take the sweetie to dinner.

I got a stripped lower for Christmas, and yup - I am building my own, this time a 6.8. Scary for a guy who is just now figuring out what a selector detent is. Thanks to AR15.com I am learning.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

saltydogbk

• Better to die on my feet than live on my knees
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2008, 10:50:32 AM »
Thanks for the input.  I will take a few moments, calm down, put the checkbook away and think about it..
You can never have too many guns, or too much ammo

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2008, 01:12:46 PM »
Pathfinder is right, I bought a Bushmaster at a gun show for 700.00 almost new. so there are some deals to be had. I suggest getting a rifle chamberd for 5.56 not .223 and a 1 in 9 twist. I would also suggest getting one soon, no telling what is gonna happen with politics (if you know what I mean) You can build a good one easy pretty cheap, even buy a complete lower and an upper cheaper than a complete rifle.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

garand4life

• Top Forum Member
    • My Blog
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2008, 04:04:36 PM »
I've put nearly 1000 rounds through my S&W M&P15 with zero malfunctions and absolutely love it! Especially compared to more expensive rifles. Right now it is equiped with a TruGlo reddot sight and a surefire G2 flashlight in a CAA flashlight holder on the CAA quadrail which was an easy and inexpensive upgrade.
Of course I am looking at upgrading to an EoTech 511 Holographic sight.

This question for any of you who have experience with the EoTech. Will it be effective with the fixed frontsight post still in place or is it neccessary to remove it?
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
"If you know your enemy is bringing a gun to the fight, bring 2..."
http://www.youtube.com/natetinstman  -
Save $10 on your NRA membership by going to http://garand4life.wordpress.com

deputydog

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2008, 02:41:43 PM »
I am new to this forum.  I have been looking for a new AR rifle.  Since I am left handed I have been looking at Stag Arms.  Any suggestions out there.  This will be my first AR.

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 06:07:33 AM »

inchhigh

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2008, 02:59:03 PM »
I have two dpms rifles and think that there great can get you a deal as I am a dealer, if you are interested Let me know

saltydogbk

• Better to die on my feet than live on my knees
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2008, 03:41:22 PM »
I am looking for a 308 DPMS.  I want something that will shoot as well as I can, but not to dressed up.  I have  the use of a 300 yard range, so I will be trying to reach out.   Would you be interested in helping me out?
You can never have too many guns, or too much ammo

Bill Stryker

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2008, 09:15:34 PM »
inchhigh,
In which state are you a dealer?

wisconsin

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA member
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2008, 05:44:24 PM »
I know its almost a year later to be asking this question. But here goes. I've heard this a couple of times on this subject on AR-15s'. Why would I want to go with a 5.56 mm as opposed to a .223. I can't seem to find any 5.56 mm for sale. But I can find alot .223 from ammo companys and If I want to reload there is alot out there in .223 none in 5.56 mm that I can find. Is 5.56 a NATO round? Why buy an AR in a caliber thats hard to find or too expensive to shoot. I know there must be a good reason but no one has touched on why 5.56 mm is better or worse than the .223. Or if this subject has been talked about on this forum maybe I just missed it.
If you know what you want, and aren't afraid to shop the net, you can build your own AR EXACTLY the way you want it and save substantial $$$ over buying a complete rifle and then modding it. For one thing, you only pay fed excise tax on the cost of the lower receiver instead of on the whole rifle.

The top brands are Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt, DPMS, Rock River, Sabre Defense, and S&W. Personally, I'd put Bushmaster and DPMS about a half-cut lower than the others on that list but they all make good usable stuff and will stand behind it. My own preference is for Rock River as the best combination of excellent quality at reasonable price.

For a "starter" AR, for all-around use, I suggest a 20" govt-profile barrel in 1:9 with a flattop receiver. You don't need floated handguards to get good AR accuracy; most rifles will easily shoot into 2MOA or better and many of them will do close to 1MOA right out of the box. Chrome bore is good but not a deal-breaker if you can't get it. DO make sure you're getting a 5.56mm chamber as opposed to a .223 chamber. Most ARs come with 5.56 chambers standard but it's not a bad idea to make sure.

The flattop receiver will give you the greatest versatility in mounting sights of various kinds. And DO make sure you have some kind of iron sights. Even the cheap ($40-50) Chinese clone carry handle/sights will do a good job if you sight the thing in and then leave it alone. (I have two of these and they're not world-class equipment by any means but they DO work and will do for most civilian uses.)

The M4-type telestock looks cool but is not as comfortable to shoot. It is useful however if children or small women will be shooting your rifle, as it adjusts to different lengths. I prefer the standard fixed A1 stock.

If you're looking at a short (16") carbine, do yourself a HUGE favor and check out the so-called midlength gas systems instead of the standard M4 carbine length gas system/handguards. The midlength is just a better mousetrap all the way around.
" I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."   John Wayne

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2008, 06:20:45 PM »
I know its almost a year later to be asking this question. But here goes. I've heard this a couple of times on this subject on AR-15s'. Why would I want to go with a 5.56 mm as opposed to a .223. I can't seem to find any 5.56 mm for sale. But I can find alot .223 from ammo companys and If I want to reload there is alot out there in .223 none in 5.56 mm that I can find. Is 5.56 a NATO round? Why buy an AR in a caliber thats hard to find or too expensive to shoot. I know there must be a good reason but no one has touched on why 5.56 mm is better or worse than the .223. Or if this subject has been talked about on this forum maybe I just missed it.

5.56 is the NATO round, mil-surp is in 5.56; .223 is typically the civilian. they are not the same, but the differences are slight - higher pressure in the military round, and a couple thousands of an inch longer case. Rifles rated for 5.56 will fire .223. In reality most modern rifles in .223 will also fire 5.56 safely, an older .223 may not be so safe. Others may disagree but a modern AR rifle in .223 will probably handle 5.56 mil-surp without a problem - if you can still find it without breaking the bank.

This has been discussed, I'm too tired (lazy) to search for it.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk