Author Topic: marlin 336 vs mossberg 464  (Read 24274 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
Re: marlin 336 vs mossberg 464
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 06:37:21 PM »
Wincheseter switched from straight up top ejection to angle eject probably 20-30 years ago. They're pre-drilled for scope mounts too so it should be easy to mount a scope. I don't have a scope on mine because it's out of place on a 16" Trapper barrel. I have a Williams peep sight instead.

Marlin is good too but I'm not sure about Mossberg.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Timothy

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 07:07:02 PM »
Your right Frank, and welcome back home Pal.

It was about 1964 when Winchester moved the ejection port to the top right corner of the receiver to make scope mounting easier.  Prior to that you knew you had an older one when the spent case ended up on the rim of your Fedora....

Great old guns.  Kittery had several last week but I passed.  One was original with a scope side mounted to the left because of the ejection port.

Anyone know who's actually making the current Winchester line of lever guns?  I know they say Winchester, but is that true?

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 07:16:19 PM »
Howdy Tim.

According to wikipedia -

A New Era

On August 15, 2006, Olin Corporation, owner of the Winchester trademarks, announced that it had entered into a new license agreement with Browning to make Winchester brand rifles and shotguns, though not at the closed Winchester plant in New Haven. Browning, based in Morgan, Utah, and the former licensee, U.S. Repeating Arms Company, are both subsidiaries of FN Herstal. In 2008 FN Herstal announced that it would produce Model 70 rifles at its plant in Columbia, SC.

Before that FN owned Winchester and Browning for 15 years.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Timothy

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2009, 07:21:20 PM »
Thanks Frank,

Olin used to make some great skis and FN makes some fine firearms so the new Winnies should be pretty good shooters which is their heritage.

Lets hope they live up to the old Oliver Winchester and Mr. Henry's legacy...

tombogan03884

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2009, 08:39:49 PM »
You may be mis understanding that, The model 70 is coming back, NOT the model 94

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 12:35:16 AM »

Timothy

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2009, 08:43:54 PM »
You may be mis understanding that, The model 70 is coming back, NOT the model 94

Crap..... ??? :'( :'( :'(

Well, I'll just have to keep looking for an old one.  Might could have to make another run up K'ttry way.  I always have the Puma/Rossi/Chippawa option too...

The '92 on their site is pretty sweet but 800-900 bucks ain't in the budget.  Not out of the question but that would cost me way too many favors... :(

tombogan03884

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2009, 08:46:01 PM »
That was why Mossberg came out with the 464, they bought the rights from Winchester.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2009, 08:47:31 PM »
I guess I'll just have to buy an 1885 low wall instead of a '94.  ;)

tombogan03884

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2009, 08:51:23 PM »
I guess I'll just have to buy an 1885 low wall instead of a '94.  ;)

There you go ! A guy I know has one in 45/70 it's ridiculously accurate once you figure out how much to hold over at 500 yards. {he reloads for it with Blackpowder, recoil is fairly mild )

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2009, 08:59:19 PM »
There you go ! A guy I know has one in 45/70 it's ridiculously accurate once you figure out how much to hold over at 500 yards. {he reloads for it with Blackpowder, recoil is fairly mild )

There's a Non-Catalog page online that has 1895s and 92s too. http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodinfo/catalog/category.asp?cat=014C

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk