Author Topic: Time to take a stand!  (Read 18985 times)

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Time to take a stand!
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 04:49:44 PM »
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 05:00:23 PM »

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 05:03:57 PM »
All you ever want to know about the 6.5 Grendel            http://www.65grendel.com/65g_65and68.htm         

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 06:04:21 PM »
I've always liked the 7.62x 39.   maybe its just me and .30 cals.  I know with a 120 something grain bullet they go about 2400 ft per second.  which would deliver a energy in the 1450 ft/lb range.  which is better then the standard 5.56 

I'm sure they could redesign something simlar to that cartage that would be very deadly and still keep the recoil down.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2007, 07:49:43 PM »
I hear you TAb I have both , and when the wolf comes to the door Im grabbin the AK and the .45.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 06:27:44 AM »

warhawke

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2007, 01:06:07 AM »
The only .308 round is 175 grains with MUCH more energy and not much more drop.  I would like to see a comparison of equivalent rounds for weight and energy.

Dude, if you are referring to the Grendel chart, check the second column on the right, it has the 147gr 7.62 ballistics right next to the 144gr 6.5, thats about as close as you will get between the rounds in apples to apples comparison.   
"Una salus victus nullam sperare salutem"
(The one hope of the doomed is not to hope for safety)
Virgil

JohnMosesBrowning

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2007, 02:58:52 PM »
Go Large!!  .50BMG with a depleted uranium projectile!!   ;D

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2007, 09:26:31 PM »
My vote is for the grendle. And its not only for the ballistics but for the people who developed it. IMHO I like it better for a combat rifle and the ballistics, bigger is better . I will never have to rely on it , too old to fight , But I would feel good about putting it in the young hands. Which ever is chosen I know a dedicated soldier  will field it .  And we must remember its not the size of the rifle in the fight but the fight in the soldier who carrys it.

Kettlebelly Slim

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2007, 03:42:50 AM »
The 6.8 seems to have a good case for hard use, but Grendel has better ballistics.

Does the Grendel have enough case-taper to prevent stuck-cases or case-head seperations with dirty ammo in rough conditions? 

Look at the .416 Rigby case or the 7.62x39 case, and you'll see overcompensation in this area.  On the other hand, straight-walled cases just cause problems in the long run.  How does the Grendel stack up in this regard?

-KBS

MichellesFURY

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2007, 12:44:30 PM »
There was a third option, though I can't remember what the cartridge was called, but it was esentially a 5.56 cartridge opened up to accept a larger/heavier bullet-I believe about the size of a 6.5mm +/-

The advantage was it would accept the same sized MG belt links, loaders, stripper clips, magazines, same capacity, relative internal parts bolt dimensions with esentially just a change of the barrel, and lobbed a heavier bullet with alleged better balistics than the 5.56-though no where near the Grendel and a bit below the 6.8...

I personally can't see the military going away from the 5.56, or the 7.62-just possibly taking steps to improve the ballistics of the round in shorter barreled weapons.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk