Author Topic: AK Course, next week!  (Read 12544 times)

tombogan03884

Re: AK Course, next week!
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 06:36:12 PM »
I'm really surprised these courses with AK-47's aren't far more popular than the AR-15 courses of the same nature. For one the guns are cheaper, and far more reliable! I know this will bring about a great many comments, but the fact remains the assault rifle of choice worldwide is the Kalashnikov. People need to accept that fact. I get so sick and tired of Colt lovers not accepting the FACT the AK-47 is the worldwide carbine of choice for war. I own and shoot a total of 7 AR-15 rifles, and love them all like children, but that does not excuse the fact the AK-47 is the greatest war rifle ever developed! PERIOD!   I don't mean to offend with pure fact. Bill T.

You have to remember Bill that a certain amount of the "popularity" of the AK is due to the fact that the Soviet Union gave thousands of them to any one with a beef against the west. During the Cold War the US was the leading arms supplier in the world based on value, We were selling air craft, ships and armored vehicles, but VOLUME wise the Soviets took the prize hands down, distributing tens of thousands of tons of AK's and RPG's to every one from China to the IRA.
With that in mind if you were in a third world country would you pick the weapon that you wanted, or the one that was free ?
Not trying to down the AK, it IS reliable, but you don't see to many of them at shooting matches. Just pointing out that the proliferation of them around the world is not necessarily by choice.

Note, The Sandinista's in Nicaragua used M16's that they were given by North Vietnam.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 08:22:39 PM »
Yes it is called a Valmet.

;D ;D ;D ;D  Bill T.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2009, 08:25:57 PM »
You have to remember Bill that a certain amount of the "popularity" of the AK is due to the fact that the Soviet Union gave thousands of them to any one with a beef against the west. During the Cold War the US was the leading arms supplier in the world based on value, We were selling air craft, ships and armored vehicles, but VOLUME wise the Soviets took the prize hands down, distributing tens of thousands of tons of AK's and RPG's to every one from China to the IRA.
With that in mind if you were in a third world country would you pick the weapon that you wanted, or the one that was free ?
Not trying to down the AK, it IS reliable, but you don't see to many of them at shooting matches. Just pointing out that the proliferation of them around the world is not necessarily by choice.

Perhaps we should have done much the same???? Better than "Cash For Clunkers"???    Bill T.

tombogan03884

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2009, 09:29:24 PM »
 Cash for Colt's ?  Works for me !  ;D

Rob Pincus

• CO-HOST ON BEST DEFENSE
  • Top Forum Member
    • I.C.E. Training Company
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2009, 11:11:21 AM »
800 miles the bike with the AK strapped to the side in a Sneaky Bag.... no problem (at least not with the AK & other gear.... I did have to replace the ignition switch about 200 miles into the ride!).

The AK is set up for the course with aftermarket stock (tapco), forend rail (UMG) and the cheapest Red dot I could find (Redhead) and I did splurge on a good sling from MagPul (because I want more time with the design). I'm still under $800. If I really tried, I could probably build am AR Type with similar configuration for that amount of money (again, retail pricing), but I wouldn't have much faith in it. We'll see how the AK performs tomorrow!

-RJP

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 04:08:49 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2009, 01:05:05 PM »
800 miles the bike with the AK strapped to the side in a Sneaky Bag.... no problem (at least not with the AK & other gear.... I did have to replace the ignition switch about 200 miles into the ride!).

The AK is set up for the course with aftermarket stock (tapco), forend rail (UMG) and the cheapest Red dot I could find (Redhead) and I did splurge on a good sling from MagPul (because I want more time with the design). I'm still under $800. If I really tried, I could probably build am AR Type with similar configuration for that amount of money (again, retail pricing), but I wouldn't have much faith in it. We'll see how the AK performs tomorrow!

-RJP

Stinks about the ignition.
I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the AK.
Keep us posted and have fun.

Rob Pincus

• CO-HOST ON BEST DEFENSE
  • Top Forum Member
    • I.C.E. Training Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 08:50:41 PM »
Class went well! Rifle ran great!

Details here: http://www.downrange.tv/blog/?p=655

-RJP

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2009, 09:10:03 PM »
Class went well! Rifle ran great!

Details here: http://www.downrange.tv/blog/?p=655

-RJP

Great run down, Rob. Thanks!
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

tombogan03884

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2009, 09:12:10 PM »
 Glad it worked out for you. And yes, the AK is a brick, but after the AR mag changes are a PITA.  ;D

RTFM

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life member 2015
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2009, 07:54:54 AM »
The VERY best add on to my AK HANDS DOWN was my Larue IronDot rear sight.

Allows you to have red dot and still retain rear sight.

I've been talking to LMS (Last Man Standing) they have Paul Gomez teach an AK coarse and suppose to have one "soon" in Salt Lake City (closest to me) which is suppose to be a real good AK coarse too.

http://www.ak-47.us/Article_Detail.php?g=content1174533665

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk