Author Topic: newbi with mini-14/30 question.  (Read 9591 times)

chefman

• Forum Member
  • My son the Corpsman
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
newbi with mini-14/30 question.
« on: October 30, 2007, 01:25:38 PM »
Howdy everyone, newbie here. I just found this site today,looked around and feel like I could learn a little more from you guy's. I am a novice when talking gun-tech, I was brought up around a few guns, and was taught the "4 basic rules" before they were called the "4 basic rules ". I just thought that was good common sense. I was a crew chief on F-4 Phantoms in 72-74 so I have been around the block a time or two. I enjoy killing targets but never really got into hunting, self-defense is my main focus now. I carry a J-frame .38 and keep a Rem 870 nearby. What I would like to know is some opinions of  the Ruger mini-14 and 30.  I will be using this in the yard(3acres), and I live in a rural area of N AL so I am not constrained by city ordinances. I do have some timber on the property. I am mostly concerned with ease of maintenance and reliability of the two weapons. Granted they do carry Ruger reliability but I am on a limited budget and am trying not to find out "I should have bought the other one". Thanks for the input.
GUNS shoot BULLETS, PEOPLE shoot PEOPLE ..dang it!

pioneer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: newbi with mini-14/30 question.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 02:06:49 PM »
Chefman,
I've been a Mini-14 owner for about 10 years or so.  I've replaced the factory stock a couple of times, from wood to synthetic, to folding and other than a flash compensator, my rifle is stock.  I bought it immediately after the Clinton Assault Weapon Ban went into effect, precisely because the Mini was not one of the firearms listed.  I too chose the Mini because of the lower cost, and once confirming that I could hit a man-sized target off-hand at about 75 yards, it became my SHTF rifle.  I stocked up on 30 & 40 round quality magazines and dug in awaiting the massive hoards coming to take my food during Y2K.  (Anyone want to buy a low mileage, like new generator?)

I've taken the Mini out of the safe a few times and other than plinking, didn't shoot it much.  Each time I took it to a range, instead of the boonies, I suffered the arrogant "holier-than-thou" looks from AR shooters who tend to look down on Mini-14s and their owners.  They do have a pretty poor reputation, but I was happy with mine.

Lately I've been thinking about "upgrading" to an AR platform rifle, and was beginning to shop around.  About 2 weeks ago I once again found myself at the local gun club, shooting my primary carry gun (S&W 457) and brought along my Mini.  I had never fired it from a bench, having been content to plink and blow up milk jugs, etc.  I decided to shoot it from a bench rest, to really see what it would do at 75 & 100 yards.  I'm pleased to report that using the factory peep sight, shooting American Eagle (Federal) 55 gr. hollow-points I was able to maintain consistent MOA groups. 

I think I'll keep my Mini.   8)
Life Member NRA / SAF Member
Naval Aviation 1965-1969
Retired Police Detective '71-'01
HR-218 Certified

United States Constitution (c) 1791
         All Rights Reserved.

cookie62

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 02:56:00 PM »
I remember hearing a while back that they had problems with accuracy, But I think they fixed that. Anybody else have any info on this?
A bird in the hand is worth..Well, about a box of shells!
Yes, I'm bitter and cling to guns and religion..

gunman42782

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 03:41:16 PM »
Well, guys, let me just say that if I could have ever got a Mini to shoot MOA I would keep it too!  I have owned 4 over the years, including one of the new 580 series that is supposed to be more accurate.  None of the ones I owned would shoot better than 4 inch groups at 100 yards (with the scope, mind you!).  I probably could have lived with that, as the Mini is not a target gun and was not meant to be, as fans of the Mini are quick to point out.  My main beef with the gun is the fact that everyone I owned after about 10 rounds the bullets would just keep dropping and dropping (because of the barrel heating up so fast) until the shots were in the dirt.  My breaking point with the Mini was I missed a standing groundhog at 100 yards with this gun, with me in the prone position and the rifle rock steady.  Clean flipping miss.  I could have made that same shot with any other gun I owned, including my 10/22 with a little KY windage.  I am not knocking Ruger, almost every gun I own are Rugers.  However, in my humble opinion, the Mini is not even in the same boat as a good AR-15.  I could have hit that ground hog with an open sighted AR at that distance (and yeah, I have done that.)  The Mini is reliable, mind you.  I don't think I ever had any of the 4 I owned jam, not once.  But my ARs have not jammed either.  And I can hit what I aim at with them as well. 
Life Member of the NRA

Bidah

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 06:20:52 PM »
The key to the Mini's are good mags.  The two that I owned never let me down mechanically, and I ran them hard.  Both of mine would shoot 2 to 3 MOA with the irons.  In the end I wanted more accuracy and the modularity of the AR, so I sold them and upgraded.  I did like the rifles though.

-Bidah
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”  The Doctor

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:03:17 AM »

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 07:08:28 PM »
I'm thinking of converting my Mini-14 to the Muzzelite bullpup stock just for grins. It ain't all that accurate, and why not have a gun that makes the libs poo-poo in their pants when they see it.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

tumblebug

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 08:31:01 PM »
I got the mini/30 plenty of cheap ammo fun to shoot whats not to like. RUGER AMERICAN AS APPLE PIE.

pioneer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 04:00:42 PM »
Just this year, Ruger released their new and improved Mini-14, that is supposed to be as accurate as any other semi-auto, and is suitable for competition.  I haven't fired one, but have heard good things about them.  Ruger calls the rifle the Mini-14 Target Rifle.  Here's a picture from the web page. 
http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAFamily?type=Rifle&subtype=Autoloading&famlst=61

Life Member NRA / SAF Member
Naval Aviation 1965-1969
Retired Police Detective '71-'01
HR-218 Certified

United States Constitution (c) 1791
         All Rights Reserved.

Kettlebelly Slim

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 09:50:21 AM »
I've had a couple of Mini-14's and a Mini-30 that seemed to work - with original Ruger magazines.  They were handier in the original-type stocks than with the pistol-gripped versions (unless you really need a folder for storage).

I was never struck particularly by their accuracy, one way or the other.  A skinny barrel that walks as badly when it heats up as has been described above "might" be improved by cryogenic treatment of the sort offered by "300 Below" - for example.

If the "safety inside the trigger-guard" isn't an issue for you, I'd really consider the new Mini in 6.8 SPC.  It looks as if it might be a serious medium-range rifle.  With a bigger cartridge like this, you might not NEED the big banana-magazines (which Ruger won't sell you, anyway).

Cheers!
- KBS

chefman

• Forum Member
  • My son the Corpsman
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 08:59:29 PM »
Thanks guys for the feedback, I will keep the Rugers on the possible list.  Chefman
GUNS shoot BULLETS, PEOPLE shoot PEOPLE ..dang it!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk