Author Topic: What is Preferred for Home Defense?  (Read 38339 times)

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What is Preferred for Home Defense?
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2008, 05:28:04 PM »
Heres my approach:

Downstairs- 9mm Glock 26 with 10 rd mag and backup 17 rd mag
Nightstand (Upstairs)- 9mm Glock 17 with 33 rd mag, flashlight, and backup 10 rd mag.
My Hunker down corner- Benelli 12 ga with OO buckshot

Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2008, 06:56:09 PM »
Well I think were all off topic here. It really depends on your particular abode. Some may opt for a hand gun, others a shotgun. Some for full load others for frangible. If we want to keep this thread going lets be more specific as to type of dwelling. Construction, proximity to neighbors and things like that.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

tombogan03884

« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2008, 02:55:07 AM »
Well I think were all off topic here. It really depends on your particular abode. Some may opt for a hand gun, others a shotgun. Some for full load others for frangible. If we want to keep this thread going lets be more specific as to type of dwelling. Construction, proximity to neighbors and things like that.

Good  point, Ron J Makes the observation that he has open distances around his home, on a differant thread (Tactical Carbine I think) I said that for Urban areas with close neighbors, such as housing developments and apartments I feel a rifle is probably the WORST possible choice for home defense because of the probability that even if EVERY shot you fire is a hit you are almost garunteed to get over penetration, unless you are using something like the Barnes Varmint Grenade . My nearest nieghbor is on the other side of my living room wall the only other direction I would be shooting in the event of a home invasion,  I have another neighbor within 20 feet although through several walls. Therefor the AK stays in its case, and I rely on my .45 loaded with standard velocity 230 gr hollow points,hoping the heavy slow expanding bullet will lose enough energy that it will not harm anyone I don't intend to harm. I DO NOT think this is the BEST choice for this location, that would probably be a shotgun with 1 beanbag and then 7 1/2 shot. The beanbag for the Drunk who declares "You won't shoot me!" (Yes I will ;D ) and the birdshot will not spread in a 10 ft room so will hit like a slug but not have enough energy for any INDIVIDUAL pellet to penetrate the Lathe and plaster walls. Thats My opinion FOR MY LOCATION, , what do you all think, Have you put thought into whats on the other side of your walls and what they are made of ?

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2008, 09:24:21 PM »
Watched the Rob Pincus DVD from the Valhalla Tactical Training facility in CO, and he shot a variety of handgun and shotgun loads through sheetrock, and than simulated room, hallway, adjoining room, with standard construction material.

Shotgun result: Tombogan is correct, 7 1/2 shot indoors is a downright nasty SD round with very little chance of overpenetration for close neighbors, children, etc,... Video was very good to see and evaluate.

Handgun result: Somewhat mixed, from the .38 JHP to a .45 all do penetrate through 2 walls, the big HOWEVER, moment was NO bad guy taking the shot first. I'm sure the result would be different if this was applied, but if there were a miss, dark, loud, adrenaline,fear;..., valid factors, it is a consideration.

As a "nightstand weapon" I use a 110 gr. Winchester .357 JHP. light bullet and neighbors are not too close., and I have a 24 year old home with cedar siding, and sheetrock. Rem 870 (worst case scenario) staggered rounds, 3 of #7 shot, 3 of tactical 9 pellet buckshot. And my .45 can be made available with Ranger ammo in about 3 seconds, "Light Sleeper"

Just my .02 cents. pre tax, .000001 after. ;)

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Elmer429

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: May 28, 2008, 10:33:35 PM »
Hi Power 9mm, tac flashlight, and a 'lick-'em-to-death Labrador! ;D

Sponsor

« Reply #75 on: Today at 06:26:40 AM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
« Reply #75 on: May 29, 2008, 11:16:47 AM »
I use hanguns only and recommend .45s autos. And .357 revolvers for people who aren't willing to learn how to handle an auto. I used to use a 12 gauge Mossberg BullPup a long time ago. #4 Buck is the largest shot I would ever consider for a shotgun in the home. Any rifle in the home is too long to handle, and so are shotguns, except the bullpup which is way too heavy. The only thing left is handguns. A 1911 with a 10-round mag will stop most any gang of invaders. The newer models with a flashlight mounted are perfect. You can see what you're aiming at and the extra weight up front dampens the recoil.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

tombogan03884

« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2008, 02:52:08 AM »
I use hanguns only and recommend .45s autos. And .357 revolvers for people who aren't willing to learn how to handle an auto. I used to use a 12 gauge Mossberg BullPup a long time ago. #4 Buck is the largest shot I would ever consider for a shotgun in the home. Any rifle in the home is too long to handle, and so are shotguns, except the bullpup which is way too heavy. The only thing left is handguns. A 1911 with a 10-round mag will stop most any gang of invaders. The newer models with a flashlight mounted are perfect. You can see what you're aiming at and the extra weight up front dampens the recoil.

My 2 favorite pistols. I remember handling a Mossberg bullpup"back in the day" seemed like it would have been like shooting a suitcase. I see you say "used to" was it as bulky and clunky as it seemed ?  If I remember correctly, wasn't it based on the Mossberg 500 ?

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: July 31, 2008, 07:41:32 PM »
My first choice is a handgun. For someone who knows diddly about them I would suggest a 4" .357 Magnum like a Ruger GP-100. But since I know more about how guns work I use a .45 auto. I have 9 rounds in the mag and none in the chamber. It's very safe in that condition, but it only takes a moment to rack the slide to make it ready to fire. After handguns I would choose a 20 or 12 gauge shotgun with an 18" barrel, loaded with no smaller than #4 birdshot and no larger than #4 Buck. After shotguns I would choose a pistol caliber carbine, and a high-power rifle as my last choice. Any shot I take is likely to be 10 feet or less. If I have to I'll just point and shoot. You have to practice with whatever gun you choose until you can almost shoot it with your eyes closed and hit a man sized target.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: July 31, 2008, 07:50:57 PM »
My 2 favorite pistols. I remember handling a Mossberg bullpup"back in the day" seemed like it would have been like shooting a suitcase. I see you say "used to" was it as bulky and clunky as it seemed ?  If I remember correctly, wasn't it based on the Mossberg 500 ?

I didn't realize I already posted to this thread 2 months ago. Yep, it was a M 500 wrapped up in a couple of pounds of plastic with a bad trigger pull. It was bulky and cliunky, but mine was the shorter 6-shot version and would fit sideways through a doorway. It was as short as a pistol gripped shotgun but balanced enough to fire one-handed. If it was an automatic like the old High Standard HS10 I would have kept it. http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/SH26-E.HTM

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: July 31, 2008, 09:59:21 PM »
Have I ever posted to this thread before?

Upstairs
• Sig 226 9mm/LaserGrips/SureFire X200 weapons light/Hornady TAPs
• Winchester 94 Trapper .44 Magnum rifle/240 gr JHPs
• Remington 870 VangComp/LE buckshot in the tube with LE slugs on the gun

Downstairs
• S&W M&P AR-15/SureFire Weapon light/30 round magazines
• Assorted handguns, always including a J-frame for easy access

Michael B
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk