Author Topic: Seeking Advice On Double Tap Shooting Drills with .45ACP  (Read 12931 times)

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Seeking Advice On Double Tap Shooting Drills with .45ACP
« on: October 21, 2009, 08:57:22 PM »
Short & Sweet. I have a fair amount of consistency shooting double taps at 7 yds. with my FN9, M+P .40, and EAA Witness .40 with ported barrel.

However, when it comes to my 45ACP, my S&W 1911, and/or Glock21 can be both really good, and/or really bad. :-\

What are some tips that might help a frequent shooter improve combat accuracy with a larger caliber like the 45, become more consistent in his double tap drills overall.

My drills goes from the holster and ready position, and first round fine, second round can be high or low, high right or left, or very close to the first round. ???

Recoil is not an issue with the .45, it seems re-acquiring the target for the follow up shot can be more "spread out".
Could I be shooting too fast? (I can shoot fast, but would rather have accuracy).
Is point shooting valid? (I seem to only notice the front sight for the second shot.)
Are there drills that can help at a range?
Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Just a shooter on the path to better consistency.
Thank you.

tw

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

tombogan03884

Re: Seeking Advice On Double Tap Shooting Drills with .45ACP
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 09:10:28 PM »
 Rhythm. It sounds like you are not being consistent in your follow through, You are trying to shoot your doubles at the same rate you do the other guns, but the .45 is kicking up higher so it takes longer to come back down, hence the second shot is high.
I would concentrate on the sight a little more and worry less about speed.
$0.02

Texas_Bryan

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 09:12:05 PM »
Fundamentals and stance.  Slow it down and build up the speed.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 907
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 09:16:02 PM »
I took a little time and tried to find the video on here but couldn't.  During either Shooting Gallery or The Best Defense Michael does some drills with Rob P. and others.  Many things done at Gunsite also cover this.  Maybe RP or MB will come in with advice or the link to the videos.

The only video I could find was the wall drill.  This would be a good start, or foundation as they actually promote it as.  And like both Tom and Tex have said, start with good fundamentals, start slow and build speed.  Rob Leatham always says "slow is smooth and smooth is fast."  I think if your smooth you'll be on target.

Good luck, and please share any training advice you get.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 09:34:07 PM »
m58 Posted "Good luck, and please share any training advice you get."

Please do, I'm just making a suggestion based on what I screw up  ;D

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:00:16 PM »

Rob Pincus

• CO-HOST ON BEST DEFENSE
  • Top Forum Member
    • I.C.E. Training Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 10:46:54 PM »
First of all , stop "Double Tapping"

Forget "double tapping" as a concept. It is invalid in the context of defensive shooting... just good for games where you know how many shots you need. Train to shoot as many shoots as you need as fast as you can be combat accurate until you don't need to shoot anymore.

Double Tap (and any other pattern of shots) is a really flawed and potentially deadly concept. In addition to leaving you pausing when you may need to be shooting, it could also have you sending rounds downrange when you don't need them.

First Step:  Choose a combat accurate area to shoot at. Accept that ANY HIT inside that area is equally valuable.
Second Step: Picture a threat.
Third step: shoot as quickly as you can keep rounds in that target until you visualize the threat stopping and then stop shooting.
Repeat, varying the number of shots in your strings of fire, so that you don't develop the bad habit of falling into a pattern of shots.

If you go outside the area, you are not using a proper "balance of speed and precision" (google it). If you're shots are in one ragged whole in the center of your target area, you are shooting too slowly.

I'd suggest a human high center chest sized circle of box (6-8") at 10' for a reasonable defensive training target & distance to start with.

As far as the "how to shoot", you can also Youtube search Combat Focus Shooting for some videos that I've out out.

-RJP

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 04:23:27 AM »
Thank you all, Sounds like I need to "slow the hell down" and focus more on balance, stance, and accuracy rather than speed.

Thanks Rob, I will check those out.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 467
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 05:33:23 AM »

I'd suggest a human high center chest sized circle of box (6-8") at 10' for a reasonable defensive training target & distance to start with.

That's why I like the NRA D2 target.  It's about a 6" x 8" tombstone (chest) shaped target.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

DonWorsham

• MWAG
  • Top Forum Member
  • I feel more like I do now than I ever did
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 07:09:37 AM »

I think this step is very important when it comes to defensive training. When you think of the threat, think of a nut job just feet away from you...think "I am about to die!"...think "I must stop this guy, I must stop this guy, I must stop this guy!" Shoot that guy till he is no longer a threat.
Don Worsham
Varied Movements Performed Intensely

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 08:39:44 AM »
First of all , stop "Double Tapping"

Forget "double tapping" as a concept. It is invalid in the context of defensive shooting... just good for games where you know how many shots you need. Train to shoot as many shoots as you need as fast as you can be combat accurate until you don't need to shoot anymore.

Double Tap (and any other pattern of shots) is a really flawed and potentially deadly concept. In addition to leaving you pausing when you may need to be shooting, it could also have you sending rounds downrange when you don't need them.

First Step:  Choose a combat accurate area to shoot at. Accept that ANY HIT inside that area is equally valuable.
Third step: shoot as quickly as you can keep rounds in that target until you visualize the threat stopping and then stop shooting.
Repeat, varying the number of shots in your strings of fire, so that you don't develop the bad habit of falling into a pattern of shots.

If you go outside the area, you are not using a proper "balance of speed and precision" (google it). If you're shots are in one ragged whole in the center of your target area, you are shooting too slowly.

As far as the "how to shoot", you can also Youtube search Combat Focus Shooting for some videos that I've out out.

-RJP

I saw a video of The Pincus on YouTube a while back where he addresses this in the context of combat accuracy..... It was a great video...... I looked for like a minute but could not find it so I'm not sure if it is still online. You might want to give it a search and see what you can come up with.
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk