Author Topic: DSA FAL vs Rock River LAR8 or DPMS Panther LR-AP4  (Read 27652 times)

LeadSlead

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
DSA FAL vs Rock River LAR8 or DPMS Panther LR-AP4
« on: November 24, 2009, 10:07:19 AM »
I'm looking at acquiring a 7.62 rifle and am considering three different variants; an FAL from DSA, Rock River LAR8 or DPMS Panther LR-AP4. 

tombogan03884

Re: DSA FAL vs Rock River LAR8 or DPMS Panther LR-AP4
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 10:15:38 AM »
The AR system gives better accuracy and drop free mags which speed up reloads. As for Rock River or DPMS, I would choose based on Mag availability and price. Current 308 AR's use propriatary Mags, in other words, what works in one probably will not work in another brand.
I would wait till spring and get the CMMG Gas piston  model that will accept  $10 a peice G3 mags, or build on the reciever they offer now.

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?cart=2023908&cat=98&

nupe

• Very Active Forum Member
  • 4/19/1775
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 10:26:05 AM »
The AR system gives better accuracy and drop free mags which speed up reloads. As for Rock River or DPMS, I would choose based on Mag availability and price. Current 308 AR's use propriatary Mags, in other words, what works in one probably will not work in another brand.
I would wait till spring and get the CMMG Gas piston  model that will accept  $10 a peice G3 mags, or build on the reciever they offer now.

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?cart=2023908&cat=98&

+1 or just get an M1A ;D

LeadSlead

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 11:05:16 AM »
Know the Rock River uses both Metric and Inch Pattern FAL magazines, which are readily available and DPMS makes their own.  I've always wanted an FAL, so even if I started with a AR-10, the Rock River one would not require me getting different magazines.  Am aware that the AR gives better accuracy than the FAL and that the magazines drop free.  Have thought of the M1A, but not my first or second choice and if I went for one would go for either the Scout or SOCOM II (minus the rail attachment). 

Have considered the POF P-308, LMT 308 MWS, and CMMG Gas Piston models, but am not ready to pay $2K/over. 

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 12:01:13 PM »
+1 or just get an M1A ;D

I thought seriously about the AR platform when I was interested in adding a semi auto .308 to my collection. I went with the M-1A instead. I'm happier for it. Nothing "wrong" with the .308 AR's mind you. They are fine weapons with many good attributes, but the M-14 platform just "felt like it belonged". When you pick up an M-1A in most any flavor, it simply feels "like it belongs in your hand", if that makes any sense. For me I could acquire the target much faster on follow up shots with the M-1A, than I could with my friends .308 AR. I'm happy with both of my Springfield M-1A's, and would recommend them to anyone looking for a battle rifle with plenty of firepower and "soup"!  Bill T.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:55:56 AM »

kilopaparomeo

• Top Forum Member
  • My own private purgatory...
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 09:34:48 PM »
This is a question that is asked so often, I've actually created a "stock" answer...although the variations usually include the G3/PTR91 and M1A.  While this answer isn't targeted specifically at the AR variations you ask, this is my "stock" answer.

Here are the rifles I'm using for my opinion...don't own an AR10 so using the AR15s as a proxy. 

Cold War era battle rifles

CETME, 7.62x51mm
PTR91, 7.62x51mm
DSA StG58A, 7.62x51mm
DSA SA58, 7.62x51mm
Egyptian FN49, 7.92x57mm
Springfield Armory M1A Loaded, 7.62x51mm
WASR-10 AKM, , 7.62x39mm
Yugoslavian SKS M59/66, 7.62x39mm

AR-15 based rifles

J&T 24” varmint upper on DPMS lower, 5.56x45mm
CMT upper, 18” WOA barrel on AeroPrecision lower, 6.8x43mm SPC
J&T M4-gery upper on DPMS lower, 5.56x45mm
WOA DCM upper on Rock River lower, 5.56x45mm
Olympic Arms upper on DPMS lower, 9x19mm

In the end, you need to pick the one that fits you best and you can shoot the best. For me, that is the FAL.  M1A would be a close second.

Here's my synopsis of your choices:

M1A
Pro
  • reliable design
  • full power cartridge
  • very comfortable (for most) stock
  • can be quite accurate
  • great sights
  • safety is convenient location in trigger guard
Con
  • scope mounting is awkward over the receiver
  • field stripping has lots of part/not straightforward
  • can't be cleaned from chamber side with a rod
  • expensive mags

FAL
Pro
  • reliable design
  • full power cartridge
  • extremely good ergonomics
  • cheap mags
  • extraordinarily easy to break down, field strip, clean
  • adjustable gas system
Con
  • Sights are adequate but better A2 style sights exist
  • Triggers not known to be great but they can be improved

HK91/G3/PTR91
Pro
  • reliable design
  • full power cartridge
  • cheap mags
  • somewhat easy to break down, field strip, clean
Con
  • Sights are adequate
  • No bolt hold open
  • Abysmal ergonomics - safety selector is near impossible to reach, cocking handle is in terrible place, mag release is hard to reach
  • Triggers are absolutely horrible but they can be improved

AR-series
Pro
  • proven design
  • full power cartridge
  • fantastic ergonomics
  • extraordinarily easy to break down, field strip, clean
  • very modular
Con
  • Expensive mags
  • Not as common...but still plenty of parts around
  • Charging handle is in a silly place

All this said, I think the FAL is the best of these.  If you want the AR for the ergonomics, you won't lose with that rifle.  You'll hae to make a choice on long vs short barrel...on most of my rifle platforms, I have both...sometimes I like the velocity, sometimes I like the compactness.
NRA Endowment Life Member
SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
Ultima Ratio Civis - "The last method of a citizen"

tommy tornado

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 10:27:47 PM »
I own a Cetme and like it.  So far for the money a good gun.  If I were to buy a new .308, then I would go with the Rock River or an M1a.  I have a Rock River Varmit AR-15 and love it. Just the other day I was about to put a Springfield M1a on layaway when I remembered my wife would kill me.  Maybe next year ;D!

JC5123

• Top Forum Member
  • Fortune sides with him who dares.
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 09:05:53 AM »
I have a DPMS LR-308 which I have had great success with. However, having said that.....I would advise you to stay clear of DPMS for the time being. Over the last year they have been getting many of their parts manufactured overseas, and not here. Rumor is that these parts are proving to be inferior to American made components. (Uh Duh!  ::) ) I am not saying the DPMS is a bad company, but I would seriously look at this issue before purchasing on of their rifles. As I said I own one of them and I am way happy with it. But I also bought it before this change happened.
I am a member of my nation's chosen soldiery.
God grant that I may not be found wanting,
that I will not fail this sacred trust.

Badgersmilk

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 09:32:22 AM »
FAL!  And DSA makes a GREAT ONE!

Where do you live?  I have the DPMS you speak of with an Eotech, and (6) mag.'s.  It's an '05 model, pre-Remington / Cerberus F'ing them up.  I may consider letting go (to help save up for a DSA for myself!  ;D).  It's in perfect shape, but as some people may have picked up on somehow, I'm just not the very biggest fan of the AR platform in general.   :-\

I'm not really looking to sell that particular rifle, but have lately been considering selling off my whole collection to start fresh with only the four "premium" firearms I really love best.  Just bouncing an idea around...  I'd be thinning the herd by about 20 or so.   :-\

tombogan03884

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 12:07:22 PM »
Unless you need grocery money don't sell your only "anything", if you have a couple AR's then OK sell ONE, but you may change your mind in the future and not be able to replace what you sold.
As an example, Now you are a fan of .308, what if you get rid of your .223 AR's,and then, as happened to an acquaintance of mine you develop arthritis in your shoulders and can no longer handle the recoil of .308 but can still handle an AR 15 with out pain.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk