Author Topic: Barrel Harmonics Question RE: Accuracy & Accessories.  (Read 22375 times)

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Barrel Harmonics Question RE: Accuracy & Accessories.
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2009, 09:53:43 PM »
Not kidding, try two dampeners, even 3, more dampening could be real good. Might be ugly, but I've beat a lot of competitors with ugly guns.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

tombogan03884

« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2009, 09:55:25 PM »
If it works it isn't "Ugly". It has CHARACTER  ;D

Badgersmilk

« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2009, 10:09:32 PM »
Quaker, Thanks.  I'm a big believer in using a common caliber between deployment firearms (.308 in this case).  Sure would be great to have a second bag ready to go in 7.62X39!  Russian's sure knew how to make their gun's, & the world will likely never know a more successfull combat firearm than the AK.  

I just need to figure out the right answer to the long range question in that caliber...  Been working on it for some time now.  :-\

tombogan03884

« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2009, 10:13:47 PM »
Probably have to go with  7.62 X54 for long range, even if the the X39 does have the accuracy it does not have the range, look at how high the sight rises on AK and SKS sights when adjusted for 500 yards.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2009, 10:23:42 PM »
Quaker, Thanks.  I'm a big believer in using a common caliber between deployment firearms (.308 in this case).  .  :-\
You and me both.If I can't find it at Wallmart (or pick your local big box), I don't want to own it. I don't care how good a round it is on paper, if I can't buy it today (or otherwise acquire it in a TEOTWAWKI scenario) its useless to me. The perfect should never be the enemy of the good enough,particularly in survival situations.And quite frankly, thats all my my Glock, my Maverick, and my Saiga are for. The M77 is for hunting, but, its also there if I ever have to take that extended camping trip in the Everglades.
FQ13

Sponsor

« Reply #45 on: Today at 06:33:39 PM »

Badgersmilk

« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2009, 10:42:26 PM »
Tom, Roger that.  7.62X54 is an awsome caliber.  I dont know of a semi-auto in carbine length though (what a muzzle flash that'd have!).  If I found one I'd own it that day!

Wheelgun, Quaker,  Verify if barrel temp is effecting your groups.  If thats it the rubber donut probably isnt going to do to much good.  Look into cryo treating.  It can make a BIG difference!  Call around to local machine shops and ask where they get stuff "stress relieved".  Then ask that place if they can do cryogenic treating.  They'll usually do a barrel fairly cheap, especially if you get more than one done.

Midway sells the Limbsaver donuts, Basspro, Cabelas, Dunhams, Gander Mountain, about all the sporting goods shops have em.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2009, 11:03:49 PM »
Tom, Roger that.  7.62X54 is an awsome caliber.  I dont know of a semi-auto in carbine length though (what a muzzle flash that'd have!).  If I found one I'd own it that day!

Wheelgun, Quaker,  Verify if barrel temp is effecting your groups.  If thats it the rubber donut probably isnt going to do to much good.  Look into cryo treating.  It can make a BIG difference!  Call around to local machine shops and ask where they get stuff "stress relieved".  Then ask that place if they can do cryogenic treating.  They'll usually do a barrel fairly cheap, especially if you get more than one done.

Midway sells the Limbsaver donuts, Basspro, Cabelas, Dunhams, Gander Mountain, about all the sporting goods shops have em.

Thanks for the advice. If you want a .308 carbine, Saiga makes them. The reviews, as I've said, put them on par with the mini-14. 4"  groups at 100 yards, but it goes bang every time. They also sell for what a Mini-14 SHOULD cost, about $600 on gunbroker. At that price, I opted for the the 7.62x39 as it has less recoil, quicker follow ups, and cheaper ammo and was avaiable for $369. The .308 still seems like a good option though, if your sniper rifle use that same ammo. Check it out, but I offer no advice one way or the other. Just something to think about.
FQ13

Badgersmilk

« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2009, 11:22:48 PM »
Yep, both the rifles shown are .308.  Limits how many ammo cans I've gotta take, and any possible confusion on which can to grab in a hurry.

I have an MAK 90, and Yugo SKS in 7.62x39.  Like'em a lot.  Have tons of ammo for them.  Just not super happy with their penatration and energy over 70 yards or so.

I've often wondered about a 12 gauge in combat...  So many variables though...  Cant help but think of all the WWII vets that gave up their garands for 30 carbines (heard many stories on this first hand)...  Over penetration, recoil, follow up shot speed, muzzle flash, noise level, accuracy, reliability, ease of handleing, reload speed, how many rounds can you carry, magazines vs clips vs individual rounds, rate of fire...  So many variables between the 12 ga. and the 7.62x39 and 30/06.  .308 seems a good common ground.  So many variables though!!!  ???

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2009, 11:32:15 PM »
Yep, both the rifles shown are .308.  Limits how many ammo cans I've gotta take, and any possible confusion on which can to grab in a hurry.

I have an MAK 90, and Yugo SKS in 7.62x39.  Like'em a lot.  Have tons of ammo for them.  Just not super happy with their penatration and energy over 70 yards or so.

I've often wondered about a 12 gauge in combat...  So many variables though...  Cant help but think of all the WWII vets that gave up their garands for 30 carbines (heard many stories on this first hand)...  Recoil, follow up shot speed, muzzle flash, noise level, accuracy, reliability, ease of handleing, reload speed, how many rounds can you carry...  So many variables...
It just depends on what you want it for. In the house, a 9mm. Across the yard, 12 gauge buck. Across the street, a carbine (choose your flavor). If I have to get out the .270 for that 300 yard shot, the poop has hit the fan and then some. Dress approriately, your mileage may vary.
FQ13

Badgersmilk

« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2009, 11:39:37 PM »
The devistation of a 12ga slug is tough to argue in any use under 100 yards.  Big effect on enemy moral seeing that kind of damage done!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk