Author Topic: Ruger .308 Scout Rifle Released!  (Read 58584 times)

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: Ruger .308 Scout Rifle Released!
« Reply #100 on: January 15, 2011, 10:51:09 PM »
with 2 eyes open you get faster sight acquisition
Both eyes open also leaves you with better peripheral vision, so you can pick up threats quicker.

I fully agree on both eyes open shooting, WHATEVER weapon you choose.

Could someone please explain how a receiver mounted scope FORCES you to close one eye?    

How is a receiver mounted scope slower to shoot with both eyes open than a forward mount?

I have scopes that range from 1x4 to 5.5x22. Not one of them requires off eye closing to use. Not a single one! If I close one eye it is simply because I want to....and I usually don't want to.

Michael said the forward scope concept "goes back to WWI and beyond". 
Seems to me that it wouldn't be so rare to see a forward scope mount after 97 years if the idea held water.

The whole "scout rifle" concept seems like a solution desperately looking for a problem to solve.
IMNSHO, the sales pitch that this is the fast! way to shoot a bolt gun with a scope is just that, a sales pitch with no grounding in reality. 

If Ruger wants to build a niche rifle, great.
If they want to build a rifle that is different than most out there, great - I don't think the marketplace will support it but, you go Ruger!

If they still catalog this rifle 5 years from now, I will be amazed.

You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

tombogan03884

« Reply #101 on: January 15, 2011, 11:41:33 PM »
The reason the forward mounted scope didn't take off earlier is due to scope technology, it has nothing to do with the validity of the concept. "Pistol", or long eye relief scopes did not become truly practical until the late 60's or early 70's.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #102 on: January 16, 2011, 06:27:28 AM »
Interesting that the initial photos of them testing the new rifle show them with the rear mounted scope.

Here's  Mark Gurney of Ruger shooting it

They've had this rifle for 4 years already.  The only big change, and I think it will stick, is the removable box magazine, that while not a standard M1A1 mag, will be reproduced by 3rd parties, and will be available in larger capacities than 10.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #103 on: January 16, 2011, 07:51:27 AM »
I fully agree on both eyes open shooting, WHATEVER weapon you choose.

Could someone please explain how a receiver mounted scope FORCES you to close one eye?    

How is a receiver mounted scope slower to shoot with both eyes open than a forward mount?

I have scopes that range from 1x4 to 5.5x22. Not one of them requires off eye closing to use. Not a single one! If I close one eye it is simply because I want to....and I usually don't want to.

Michael said the forward scope concept "goes back to WWI and beyond". 
Seems to me that it wouldn't be so rare to see a forward scope mount after 97 years if the idea held water.

The whole "scout rifle" concept seems like a solution desperately looking for a problem to solve.
IMNSHO, the sales pitch that this is the fast! way to shoot a bolt gun with a scope is just that, a sales pitch with no grounding in reality. 

If Ruger wants to build a niche rifle, great.
If they want to build a rifle that is different than most out there, great - I don't think the marketplace will support it but, you go Ruger!

If they still catalog this rifle 5 years from now, I will be amazed.

It's the greater field of view with both eyes open rather than the fact that both are open that allows faster target acquisition and, in addition, more awareness of what is out there, be it other adversaries or a big Boone and Crockett buck standing several feet to the left of the doe you first spotted and have in your scope.

With the scope in the standard position, it fills most of your view unless you move out of your shooting position.  With a forward mounted scope you can better maintain your shooting  position while observing more of your surroundings. 
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

BikerRN

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #104 on: January 27, 2011, 07:29:52 PM »
I ordered me one of these Ruger Scouts yesterday.

Besides that, I stopped in at my "Big Boy and Girl Toy Store" and played with the Ruger Scout they had on the wall. From the pictures the rifle looks heavy. I was very impressed with how light, of course it didn't have any boolits in da' gun yet, and how fast it swung from target to target in the store. This seems to be a fast handling little rifle and I'm looking forward to wringing mine out when it gets here.

The cost, my local "pusher" had them at $790, with MSRP being $995, if I recall correctly. I've seen them as low as $720 + Shipping online. They seem to be selling fast, but I think the average price will be around $780 or so, if you average the online and brick and mortar prices. Me thinks Ruger may have a hit with this one.

Biker

Sponsor

« Reply #105 on: Today at 07:04:44 AM »

Whit Spurzon

• Forum Member
    • Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle Blog
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: January 27, 2011, 08:27:56 PM »
Bane, YOU'RE BAD FOR MY WALLET!

I visited the fun store hoping to handle one.  Said they were allocated but I went ahead and ordered one anyway.  Got a call a few days later saying they found one and it's on its way!  Now I'm trying hard to be patient.  

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: January 27, 2011, 09:51:39 PM »
Range reports gentlemen. Range reports!
FQ13

ECVMatt

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2011, 08:12:34 PM »
Here is a short review I post on another site...

I really like this rifle. I can not afford a scope right now, so I was only shooting the iron sights. The iron sights proved a clean usable site picture and line up perfectly with the stock. I fired a group at 50 yards and brought my allen wrench to adjust my sights. Much to my surprise my group was slightly above my aiming point and dead center. The group is about 1 inch in diameter and was fired off hand. Since everything looked good, I shot at 100, 200, and about 350 yards. I was shooting out in the open desert, so I could realistically shoot as far as I could see. I was picking targets that were about 12 inches in diameter and got hits every time I pulled the trigger out to 200 yards. At 350 it took about three round to find my hold over and then I could make hits about 75% of the time. I did not shoot father than this because we were there to hunt coyotes and the rest of the guys were fired to attack the yotes.

Some random thoughts from the day:

I used C-Products mags which functioned perfectly, but did have a flaw. They have no retaining plate on the mag floor and I was about to pull the magazine base off when I was attempting a rapid reload. This needs to be addressed and I will look into ways to secure it. It should come from the factory correct however.

The rifle has very little recoil. I was using a handload of 44 grains of Varget, on the bottom end, but it was very soft to shoot.

Here are some pictures:

And the target...

BikerRN

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: February 13, 2011, 03:22:59 AM »
Nice shootin'.

I'm liking mine, and while having used bolt action rifles for years, I've never been a fan of them. This just might be the rifle that changes my opinion of bolt actions.

Biker

ECVMatt

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
I half way solved the mag problem
« Reply #109 on: February 14, 2011, 06:44:41 PM »
I inspected the C-Products magazines and found the problem. One of the magazines is missing the tab on the bottom that retains the base plate. I have contacted C-Products about the problem and will update once I here back from them. Here are some pictures:

Here is a picture of the bottom with the tab missing and one with the tab in place

Here is a picture of the base plate slipped past the tab compared to a correct magazine

My overall impression of the magazine it that it is extremely well made. Hopefully this one just slipped by and is not a continual problem.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk