Author Topic: Picking up a new 1911... One problem  (Read 21503 times)

ratcatcher55

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Picking up a new 1911... One problem
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 05:14:06 PM »
My Springfield Fully loaded was a disaster. Sent to Jim Garthwaite and now the only thing from the origional is the frame.

The Kimber Ultra CDP II has been perfect.

Your milage may vary.

garand4life

• Top Forum Member
    • My Blog
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2011, 09:08:04 PM »
I've been looking at carry loads for the 1911 and to help avoid wasting money needlessly, does anyone have some preferences for carry ammo? I'm thinking tried and true GoldDot +P right now but I know there are a lot of good choices.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
"If you know your enemy is bringing a gun to the fight, bring 2..."
http://www.youtube.com/natetinstman  -
Save $10 on your NRA membership by going to http://garand4life.wordpress.com

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2011, 09:17:57 PM »
Federal Hydrashok has always worked for me as far as accuracy and reliability of feeding.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2011, 10:42:28 PM »
I've been looking at carry loads for the 1911 and to help avoid wasting money needlessly, does anyone have some preferences for carry ammo? I'm thinking tried and true GoldDot +P right now but I know there are a lot of good choices.

My carry load for the 1911s is plain jane Win White Box 230gr JHP.
For the SIG220 I use GoldDot 230. (non +P)

The guns with these loads put them right on top of the other with boring regularity. Switch them and the groups open up noticeably, so I don't.

I have several boxes of Cor-Bon DPX (also non +P) that I haven't tested yet.....got to wait till it gets below 110+.
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

tt11758

• Noolis bastardis carborundum (Don't let the bastards wear you down)
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger ~
    • 10-Ring Firearms Training
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2011, 10:30:35 AM »
FWIW, my everyday carry gun is a Para GI Expert, and I couldn't be happier with it!!  Not to mention that it cost me $599 NIB.

I compared various 1911's before settling on the Para, all of which (with the exception of the Springfield) were significantly more expensive.  I didn't feel like I was "settling" in selecting the Para after firing some of the others.  It's only had about 3 or 4 thousand rounds through it (I've had it for a year and a half, and who the hell can afford to chew through more .45acp than that in that time frame?) and it has performed flawlessly.  I have yet to find any kind of ammo that it won't eat, it goes bang EVERY time I press the trigger, and it's accuracy is far superior to mine.  What more can you ask for? 
I love waking up every morning knowing that Donald Trump is President!!

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 01:33:56 AM »

garand4life

• Top Forum Member
    • My Blog
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2011, 10:32:18 PM »
So I brought the new Springfield home today.  And the first time I try to disassemble it I find that , since a barrel bushing wrench isn't included I can't get the bushing out of the slide! I managed to get the slide off the frame but even getting it put back together was a 3 hour affair. Fortunately no damage to the gun but seriously!!!??? Is this normal for SA/Kimber and the like? My Taurus never had this problem, either of them.

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, 12:18:38 AM »
Some can be snug but I've never had a bushing that tight.  Both of my Nat. Match guns could be undone with fingers.

'Course, I'm strong like bull.  ;)  :P ;)
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

ratcatcher55

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2011, 09:51:37 AM »
So I brought the new Springfield home today.  And the first time I try to disassemble it I find that , since a barrel bushing wrench isn't included I can't get the bushing out of the slide! I managed to get the slide off the frame but even getting it put back together was a 3 hour affair. Fortunately no damage to the gun but seriously!!!??? Is this normal for SA/Kimber and the like? My Taurus never had this problem, either of them.

Did you turn the barrel bushing in the correct direction?

It will come apart like this: (language alert)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGJKv4NaHaU&feature=relmfu

I got my monthly dose of Philly watching this. ;D

garand4life

• Top Forum Member
    • My Blog
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2011, 10:30:34 AM »
Did you turn the barrel bushing in the correct direction?

It will come apart like this: (language alert)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGJKv4NaHaU&feature=relmfu

I got my monthly dose of Philly watching this. ;D

Yes I turned it the correct direction. The bushing is just that tight in the slide. We had to take a mallet to knock it out. No damage, well oiled just that tight.

ratcatcher55

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2011, 10:44:09 AM »
Yes I turned it the correct direction. The bushing is just that tight in the slide. We had to take a mallet to knock it out. No damage, well oiled just that tight.

Not good! I guess they used a mallet to put it in.

Jim told me all the drilled holes in my Springfield were oval and not round.  He trued them up and now the slide in and out as I expected. I had him replace the screw-in guide rod. It would back out after a few rounds.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk