Author Topic: Picking up a new 1911... One problem  (Read 21496 times)

tombogan03884

Re: Picking up a new 1911... One problem
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2013, 06:58:42 PM »
Remington R-1's are also available in stainless.

Dklee4141

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2020, 11:59:53 PM »
Speaking from personal experience, I would stay away from Springfield Armory.  The one I had came from the factory with a bent plunger tube, broken plunger, and bad extractor.  After 3 trips back it still wasn't working reliably, so I sold it.

Of the ones listed I'd be shy about the Ruger.  Like Ichiban, I'm not crazy about the plunger tube (see above).  I've heard lots of bad things about Kimber's customer service (not recently, though), so that would give me pause.  I've not heard anything bad about the Para GI Expert or the Remington R1, and the price is good on them.  If I was in the market for a 1911, I'd probably be looking at one of those.

Personally, I love my Springfield armory 1911a1 gi or government.  It was almost 20 or 30 years old i think, stock parts, but well taken care of by a vet marine, I bought it for 450 bucks and spent an extra 150 to 200 replacing out all the springs, main parts, sig barrel, all wilson combat for the internals, full length guide rod.  And after talking to many people and gunsmiths, decided to take out the shok buffs as almost everybody told me the parts can handle the wear and tear for thousands of rounds as long as you pay attention.  I asked people if buying a 1911 for about 500 dollars was a mistake, but when everybody took a look at it told me it was a fantastic deal.  Sorry your 1911 was all messed up, but that's why I don't purchase any firearm without handling it directly first.  Also, instead of 3 to 4 attempts to get the company to fix something, you had the option to just purchase a wilson combat or other plunger tube setup with springs and plungers, it shouldn't cost more than like 20 or 30 dollars.  I just wonder how in the world that gun left the factory with that obvious of a defect.  If they showed you pictures of one without the damage I'd call and cuss at them.  Anyways, all opinions here, but I don't think it matters what 1911 you get because they are all made essentially the same.  Taurus is the only one I would be wary of as their 'zero tolerance ' policy is super questionable. I have a 357 Taurus 605 and the entire cylinder fell out unscrewed from the center post as I was decocking the hammer at home.  Whatever internal safety systems they have did nothing, I had my thumb on the hammer, pushing down a good bit, but as I pulled the trigger to drop the hammer is when the cylinder fell out of battery, and I don't know how or why, but as the cylinder was just out of battery, the hammer was snapped back down in milliseconds with at least a 26 or 28 pound DA spring.  The hammer fell down and either the cylinder falling out disabled the block safeties or transfer bars or the cylinder was just in a perfect position for the rimfire casings to get hit by the striker.  I love the gun, but they should have mentioned that the cylinder can unscrew if you only turn it one way alot and to check on it instead if boasting about tolerances and craftsmanship.
I have a Springfield armory with wilson combat parts essentially, a para expert carry, remington r1 in 10mm.  I would suggest taking a look at the sig 1911s before a kimber imo, I'm not a huge fan of some their really flashy stuff and costs related to them.  A sig 1911 will be solid, their customer service is great, lifetime warranty on most things, and super fast turnaround on any repairs or armory work needed.  A 1k dollar kimber would be baseline or just above, but most sig 1911s are just around the 1k to 1.4k range and there's the sig name and quality.  Personally since I have 1911s, I would say get a cheaper one, you can always upgrade or mod parts, then focus on a p220 or p227.  They are essentially modern 1911s which I've heard like the p226 will shoot no matter what you do to it

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2020, 06:21:38 AM »
Welcome to the forum!

Nice pickup on an older topic.  I agree with your bottom line....buy a cheap 1911 (probably applicable to the AR15 too, eh?) and then buy new, good quality parts.  Especially when I looked at the Sig 220 pricing...and the 227 is nearly unobtainable. 

I'm not familiar with the 220...I'm supposing you were comparing other 45 ACP's that are all metal like the 1911's.  I'll have to pick one up next time I see one and compare it to the CZ 97B which I absolutely love.  It looks like the Sig is slimmer and probably lighter but might snag a bit more.

Regardless, welcome to the forum. 
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1403
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2020, 07:34:49 AM »
Welcome to the forum!

I'm not familiar with the 220...I'm supposing you were comparing other 45 ACP's that are all metal like the 1911's.  I'll have to pick one up next time I see one and compare it to the CZ 97B which I absolutely love.  It looks like the Sig is slimmer and probably lighter but might snag a bit more.

Regardless, welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum as well.

I own a Sig 220 and a variant I have not seen often. It is a .45 Sig 220 SINGLE ACTION. I love them both but prefer the single action. It looks like the normal 220 until you see the frame-mounted safety in the same location that it would be on a 1911. Have any of you seen the single-action model I am talking about?
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2020, 08:50:30 AM »
Not that I can recall.  Post a pic of that baby..
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Sponsor

« Reply #55 on: Today at 04:13:34 AM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2020, 09:32:17 AM »
I'm curious why so few 1911 models have rails on the dust cover?   Mainly I want it to mount a Mantis X, but if lasers/lights are so popular, is it a 1911 mindset not to use them?

My 1970 MkIV (purchased 1971) is still kicking though the round count is probably less than 10k.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

tombogan03884

« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2020, 08:41:00 AM »
I'm curious why so few 1911 models have rails on the dust cover?   Mainly I want it to mount a Mantis X, but if lasers/lights are so popular, is it a 1911 mindset not to use them?

My 1970 MkIV (purchased 1971) is still kicking though the round count is probably less than 10k.

Cuz people who buy antique guns generally prefer them in original condition.
Not with later technology klugded on.

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1403
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2020, 09:05:22 AM »
Cuz people who buy antique guns generally prefer them in original condition.
Not with later technology klugded on.

Are you a Glockaholic? I, myself, am a certified boomer. I still love and carry my 1911, although it is a 10mm.
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2020, 10:42:13 AM »
I dislike shooting Glocks.  I own one only to shoot in GSSF matches.

I'm more of a revolverholic.  The original point and shoot device.  ;)

There are a few 1911s with rails, but I'd think, at least wish, the demand was higher and hence the selection wider.

What I want the rail for is the MantisX training device and for the motion sensor trigger for my chronograph.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk