Author Topic: Quick and Strong Prayers Needed!  (Read 10493 times)

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Quick and Strong Prayers Needed!
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 04:10:41 PM »
Update appreciated.  Sounds positive in many ways but serious also.  Prayers will continue.

God Bless,

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 06:27:20 PM »
Things continue on as well as can be expected with this nasty cancer.  We have our ups and downs with each treatment.  Corey is in Houston along with his mother for treatments.  His wife and son are at home in Kansas, and his father is home alone up here in Minnesota.  It is tough for everyone, so we all get excited about the little things.

Carol, Corey's mother and my aunt, wrote the following for her weekly column in our local paper.  Auntie Carol can get a little wordy, but please stick with it and see how even a large corporation can show that it has a heart.

The big ‘EN’
I’ve come to realize that there are certain letters in the alphabet that greatly affect our lives — those letters being d, i, s, e and n. Put the first three letters (d, i, and s) in front of the word “courage,” and you hold the power to crush another person’s hopes and dreams.

However, by adding a prefix of the letters e and n, to the same word, you empower people to soar “as if on eagles wings.”

Over the course of the past couple months, I’ve learned to a new degree the power of encouragement — whether it comes from doctors, nurses, medical personnel, shuttle bus drivers, strangers, friends or family. This has come while assisting our son, Corey, through the process of receiving treatment here at the M. D. Anderson Cancer Clinic in Houston, Texas.

With encouragement comes hope — one of the three power tools of our lives (faith, hope and love).

Upon returning from Corey’s second radiation treatment, we stopped by the receptionist’s desk and inquired about mail. When she returned with a stack of cards and letters, our feet could hardly carry us back to our little apartment quickly enough.

Ripping open each envelope, we found special messages. Words nourished our thirsty souls like raindrops falling on dry, cracked earth in the middle of a drought — filling our depleted emotional reservoirs. (A person gets lonely when you’re away from one’s home and familiar surroundings.) A whole new respect for “snail mail” was discovered by both of us. Being able to hold in our hands the thoughts, prayers and well-wishes of so many has meant the world to us.

One note in particular has held special significance. Just days prior to being diagnosed with a brain tumor, Corey had interviewed, and been offered, a position as a motorcycle designer with the Polaris Company — a dream job for him. (Polaris makes snowmobiles, motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles, etc.)

However, with unknown medical challenges facing him, he had to decline their offer at the present time — discouragement and disappointment in the rawest form.

However, at a point and time in Corey’s recovery — when encouragement was paramount and needed most — a very special card accompanied by a picture arrived. It was from Greg Brew, the individual who had interviewed Corey at Polaris. A note was handwritten on Polaris stationery. The glossy, 8 x 10 photo was of the newest cycle design and soon to be released motorcycle produced by Polaris. It has been named the “Core.”

There are not words to define the importance, impact and profound blessings of Mr. Brew and the entire Polaris Corporation’s actions. They truly understood the heart of our son and knew exactly how to bring the best kind of encouragement. Call it “motorcycle magic” if you want, I call it a “miracle.” After all, isn’t that what a miracle is — the perfect answer at just the right time!

Of course, there have been the countless e-mails and phone calls. How could we ever live without cell phones? To hear familiar voices and be able to share our journey here in Houston has meant everything. Those conversations encouraging us throughout each day have been priceless.

So, in the end, the question remains: What do we do with the simple prefix, “dis” or “en?” It is really up to each and every one of us. We can cause disappointment, disgust, dismay, or discouragement. Or we can employ the big “EN” and be “ENthusiastic ENcouragers!”

A world full of the latter would be a world full of wonder!

Carol may be reached at carolh@mtlakenews.com

Red highlight added by me to direct you to the good stuff.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 03:58:24 AM »
m58, again, thanks for the update!  Reading the note from Auntie Carol I have to say it is WONDERFUL and not wordy at all!!!!!!!

JMHO

God Bless.

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

shooter32

• shooter32
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 04:47:34 PM »
Continued prayers!
A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. ~ Gerald Ford - August 12, 1974

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 03:01:23 PM »
Hard to believe except for the belief in God's power and what He can do, but Corey is still with us.  He is bed ridden, and has been for quite some time.  He only has use of his left hand (he is right handed), and he admittedly has learned the meaning of humble as other must do everything for him.

Earlier I posted what his mother wrote about him and his Polaris job offer that was in the column she writes for the newspaper.  Last week another job offer came in - Harley Davidson offered him a position of lead 3D concept designer.  Imagine the combination of honor and pain as he received the offer and then dictated to his wife the regrets and reason.

Continued prayers are appreciated!
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 12:31:46 AM »

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 04:01:29 PM »
Never stopped!

God Bless,

Richard

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk