Author Topic: How do you mold the leather  (Read 23388 times)

outrider

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: How do you mold the leather
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 11:55:34 AM »
Denster...did you get the 20 mil or 30 mil ply bag?
Proprietor:  Outrider Gun Leather
Outrider (Formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA)
SASS #2353
BOLD 895
Custom Leathersmith

outrider

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 12:10:49 PM »
got a link to Denster and Particles "how to build"
SASS #2353
BOLD 895
Custom Leathersmith

Sparky

• Active Forum Member
    • Midwest Leather Works
  • Liked:

outrider

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 12:36:26 PM »
thanks Sparky...how is your system working?
SASS #2353
BOLD 895
Custom Leathersmith

Sparky

• Active Forum Member
    • Midwest Leather Works
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 12:45:49 PM »
I really like it, I was just doing everything by hand with my bone folder before and you have to be so careful of your lines or you end up marring up areas a little bit, this system really helps with that issue.  My bag is still really stiff but seems to loosen up a bit with each use.  I have nothing to compare it to as far as using a press with gum rubber.  All in all I am very happy with it.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 03:32:06 AM »

denster

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2011, 01:21:35 PM »
I really like it, I was just doing everything by hand with my bone folder before and you have to be so careful of your lines or you end up marring up areas a little bit, this system really helps with that issue.  My bag is still really stiff but seems to loosen up a bit with each use.  I have nothing to compare it to as far as using a press with gum rubber.  All in all I am very happy with it.

Sparky

Are you using the poly or the vynal bag? I started with the vynal but it was stiff then went to the poly and the difference was night and day.

Outrider. I've got the 20 because at the time they didn't offer the heavier bag. Either will work just make sure it is poly not vynal.

Sparky

• Active Forum Member
    • Midwest Leather Works
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2011, 01:40:00 PM »
I actually think it is the Vinyl bag, do you think you get a better form with the poly, or was the stiffness the biggest difference?  I think it still works great, I just can't compare it to the poly.  Do you get a better vacuum and form on the poly?

denster

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2011, 02:45:32 PM »
I actually think it is the Vinyl bag, do you think you get a better form with the poly, or was the stiffness the biggest difference?  I think it still works great, I just can't compare it to the poly.  Do you get a better vacuum and form on the poly?

Sparky

The vynal works good but yes the Poly is way better. Easier to bone through and you get a better pull down around the perifery.
I bought the 2'X4' and an extra closure and put the extra closure midway to keep half the bag pristine so I could use it when (read if) I ever wear out the first side. Interesting is that the 2X2 vynal was $50 and the 2X4 poly was $100 so it worked out the same.
I did finally manage to poke a small hole in the one side of the poly. Just stuck a piece of duct tape over it and I'm still good to go.
I swear I  don't know how civilaization existed before duc tape and JB Weld ;D

Sparky

• Active Forum Member
    • Midwest Leather Works
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2012, 02:12:58 PM »
If anyone is interested I have a coupon for $50 off of the Harbor Freight Vacuum pump that I use, it makes it $69.  They email me all of their coupons so if you want it PM me your email address and I will forward it to you.  It is good till 1/15.

Slowhand Bob

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2012, 07:23:26 AM »
Is the larger vacuum pump overkill or is there a possibility that it would form a heavier leather (and perhaps a heavier bag if available)?  I am working on a project right now that will use an inner form and an outer mould to form a double ply holster in the +/- 15oz range.  The booger in the deal is that a formed sight track is is part of the moulding project.  It would eliminate the need for the female half of the moulds if this could be done with a vacuum but thats a lot of pressure it would seem to me?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk