Author Topic: How do you mold the leather  (Read 23338 times)

denster

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: How do you mold the leather
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2012, 09:01:19 AM »
The only thing the heavier pump would do is establish a vacuum quicker. The smaller pump can do it in about 8 seconds with a 2'X2' bag. It is the weight of the column of air outside the bag that does the work once the vacuum is established.

Slowhand Bob

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2012, 10:07:38 AM »
AHHH, so it is better to do this outside, where the column will be much higher!    ::)

Checked out all of my resources and do not find that particular press on sale at Harbour Freight right now. 

denster

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2012, 10:31:42 AM »
Actually the air pressure outside is the same as it is inside the only thing that changes that is the elevation above sea level. ;D
In any case it will be right around 18lbs. per square inch.

Sparky

• Active Forum Member
    • Midwest Leather Works
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2012, 12:28:06 PM »
AHHH, so it is better to do this outside, where the column will be much higher!    ::)

Checked out all of my resources and do not find that particular press on sale at Harbour Freight right now. 
It is not on sale it is a coupon for it, a very good coupon...
I just emailed you the coupon..

Slowhand Bob

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2012, 07:12:25 PM »
I checked and received it, thank you.  I will likely go into the big city looking for one tomorrow ifthings go as hoped for.  My 'go to' guy called this evening and let me know my new holsters female mould is done and I hope the male half will be done by tomorrow.

Thanks, that should work in my favor denster, I am probably less than ten feet above sea level.  Kinda like my concern over mounting the new 20 ton press, how can a table that is rated for only five hundred pounds handle that 40,000 pounds of downward pressure!   :o

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 03:47:04 AM »

daddyeaux

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2012, 10:40:53 AM »
Thanks for asking this question. I was curious if a vacuum would help the molding. I was going to try my vacuum that I seal my food in. Anybody every try the Food Saver vacuum for molding a holster?
Slowhand on that press question, the piston of the press is only pressing against the base of the press not the table it is sitting on thus only creating the 20 tons against itself.

denster

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2012, 11:34:15 AM »
A ffodsaver will work after a fashion. It's best to put the holster in a heavy freezer bag first before putting it in the foodsaver bag because the foodsaver has a bleeder pattern that will be impressed into the leather otherwise.

Slowhand Bob

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2012, 11:48:16 AM »
OOOH, thanks for that tidbit  daddyeaux.   I do know of a guy on another site who has tried the food machine for mag pouches and it worked, but minimally.

Guys, I picked up the pump yesterday (thanks again Sparky) and put the oil in and cranked her up this morning, all seems ok but I do have one question that is not addressed in the little info sheet, what purpose the large cap marked air and has arrows pointing everwhere?  Now to start looking for the other vacuum parts needed.   I did consider trying the vacuum cleaner compression bag deal but figured it would be a waste of money.

daddyeaux

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2012, 06:35:25 PM »
Thanks for the coupon Sparky, I will go by Harbor tomorrow and pick up the pump. I just ordered the kit and poly bag from Veneer. The smallest poly bag they have is a 2x4 and cost $134.50 now as it is on sale, $30 off. The kit was $82.50 I look forward to trying this.

Dalton Masterson

• Freeda Bee Mee's driver and ammo loader
  • Very Active Forum Member
    • Dalton Masterson's site
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2012, 12:29:20 AM »
I tried the food saver bag thing, and yes, the little lines in the bags do leave a nice grid impression on the leather.... ::)

Other than that, it didnt work too bad for sucking in the initial impressions for me to go back over with a bone tool.
DM
Proprietor of Plum Creek Leather Works - Old West Gunleather
http://www.freewebs.com/daltonmasterson/plumcreekleatherworks.htm
Friend of www.runniron.com
SASS #51139L
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk