Author Topic: Help- please, AR basics  (Read 15644 times)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
Re: Help- please, AR basics
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2012, 10:41:16 PM »
Be careful with Wal-Mart and their BLACKHAWK! Items. I noticed the other day they had holsters that were labeled BLACKHAWK! However on closer inspection I found that they were in fact knock offs. I was a little irate that a company would so blatantly use the Blackhawk logo like that to sell cheap gear. So much so that I took a picture and sent an email to BLACKHAWK. I believe they make the absolute best gear out there ad I would hate to see their reputation get tarnished like that.

Wow!!!
Thanks for that piece of info........ Now I will have to take a close look also.

+1 on the quality of BLACKHAWK! items.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

DeltaM

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2012, 02:02:07 PM »
I'm definitely no expert on these types of guns but:

My first, about two years ago was a gift from my mom-in-law.  At the time, I just said maybe a .308 as I was thinking hunting deer/plinking combo gun.  I received a Rock River LAR 8 with a EOTech holographic sight.  I wasn't able to pick it out but smiled ;D ;D a lot anyway.  I probably wouldn't have spent that kind of money but wasn't going to say "No thank you".  Trouble is the gun is HEAVY and not the easiest  to carry in the woods, even with a sling.

My second, I bought myself.  A Stag Arms 5.56 gas piston carbine type with flip up iron sights.  Love it.  The .308 stays home most days if hunting deer and still carry my trusty Marlin .35 lever gun.  20 year old military surplus ammo for horsing around is cheap for both, especially tracers, especially if bought in quantity.  Just have to be careful if it is dry.  Don't want to start a woods fire.  I've never done this and may be an old wives tail but don't want to risk it. 

No more than I shoot, the gas piston is probably over rated.  I'm looking for a .22 conversion now for the 5.56 and found out I'll have to take the piston out for it to work.

tombogan03884

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2012, 03:15:53 PM »
It's no wives tale. All of us who fired MG's in the service spent time putting out grass fires on the range.

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2012, 07:19:09 AM »
Well, I joined the club. Drove 2-1/2 hours each way to pick up an EBR build from another NJGunForum member. One good thing is that it's already NJ compliant (...don't even ask).

Public thanks to Rastus and FQ are in order. I was looking at different stuff and ran some rigs by Rastus. He picked them apart enough technically and tactically that I understood a good bit more. FQ weighed in with some observations that made sense as well. When I saw the one I eventually got I realized it was more what I was looking for. Got a decent price and it seems practically brand new. I'll have to get out to the range next weekend and give a report.

Where to get 15 rd mags. The one with it is a 20 rd pinned for 15.

Oh...picture with my fuzzy cell phone:

There's a big old shock absorber in that skeleton buttstock- hopefully keep Maggie from spending too much unexpected time on her little backside.

Also, it didn't come with toes.

I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2012, 05:39:43 PM »
Very cool and congrats, Jay........ that thing has 'evil' dripping from every crevice.   ;)
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 09:25:35 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk