Author Topic: Texas to legalise switchblade carry....  (Read 12224 times)

Bic

• Top Forum Member
  • It's just a pen name...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Texas to legalise switchblade carry....
« on: May 31, 2013, 04:21:29 PM »
Best Wishes, Mike.

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Texas to legalise switchblade carry....
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 06:41:57 PM »
Bic, it's legal everywhere......as long as you don't get caught!

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 06:55:51 PM »
It's legal in NH even if you do get caught .
This state quit regulating knives completely a couple years ago .
Hey Texas, welcome to "Free America", now you just need to get rid of that stupid "3006" law.  ;D

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 01:47:35 AM »
Yeah, and what the hell was up with that? I could carry a Glock, but a switchblade was just too dangerous? Are they still afraid of James Dean? ;D

DanPatWork

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 08:01:53 AM »
I was reading up on Michigan ccw for reciprocity, and came across a restriction on double edged blades or boot knives. Apparently that second edge makes the knife too dangerous for the public. Pistols are still ok with a permit to purchase and a permit to carry.  ::)
"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:52:26 PM »

Bic

• Top Forum Member
  • It's just a pen name...
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 06:56:43 PM »
Yeah, we have the 'double edged' thing. Also nothing over 5.5" and would you believe it in Texas NO BOWIE KNIVES....go figure. I sure hope all that crap changes soon too.
Best Wishes, Mike.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 09:45:10 PM »
Yeah, we have the 'double edged' thing. Also nothing over 5.5" and would you believe it in Texas NO BOWIE KNIVES....go figure. I sure hope all that crap changes soon too.
Jeebus! You'd think they would be required. "Remember the Alamo" and all that. ???

AmberDawn

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 12:43:35 PM »
they should be legal

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 08:27:24 PM »
If the law was no carrying a knife with foot long blade, or no swords, I would be okay with that. Most hunting knives I like have 5"-7.5" blades. I can't carry any of my fixed blade knives or most of my folders either. The township I live next to has a ban on anything over 3" and I go there all the time. I was in a car wreck there and had a knife in my front pocket with the clip on the edge of my pocket. The cop asked me if that was a knife and when I said yes he made me take it out. The blade was 4" long so he stuck it in a crack in the curb and told me to kick the knife. The blade broke into 3 pieces. If I didn't destroy a practically new knife I'd most likely have to go to jail. So I was out $150 or $200 or whatever it was, and when I tried to buy a replacement for it they were out of production.

By state law I also can't carry a double-edge fixed-blade knife even if the blade is only an inch long. If I had a double-edge folding knife I could carry it if the blade wasn't too long, but I wouldn't count on the cops knowing that. They don't seem to know much about the law. We have a switchblade law too so no one can carry one unless they only have one hand. Maybe we can get that changed some day.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 09:12:27 AM »
If the law was no carrying a knife with foot long blade, or no swords, I would be okay with that. Most hunting knives I like have 5"-7.5" blades. I can't carry any of my fixed blade knives or most of my folders either. The township I live next to has a ban on anything over 3" and I go there all the time. I was in a car wreck there and had a knife in my front pocket with the clip on the edge of my pocket. The cop asked me if that was a knife and when I said yes he made me take it out. The blade was 4" long so he stuck it in a crack in the curb and told me to kick the knife. The blade broke into 3 pieces. If I didn't destroy a practically new knife I'd most likely have to go to jail. So I was out $150 or $200 or whatever it was, and when I tried to buy a replacement for it they were out of production.

By state law I also can't carry a double-edge fixed-blade knife even if the blade is only an inch long. If I had a double-edge folding knife I could carry it if the blade wasn't too long, but I wouldn't count on the cops knowing that. They don't seem to know much about the law. We have a switchblade law too so no one can carry one unless they only have one hand. Maybe we can get that changed some day.

Why would you be ok with outlawing blades over a certain length?  No one needs a blade over 10"?  I am quite sure that an argument could be made that a bad man armed with a machete is a lot less of a threat than a bad man with a pistol with a 13 round magazine.  Who needs a magazine over 5 rounds anyway?
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk