Author Topic: Texas to legalise switchblade carry....  (Read 12220 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1071
Re: Texas to legalise switchblade carry....
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 06:49:27 PM »
Why would you be ok with outlawing blades over a certain length?  No one needs a blade over 10"?  I am quite sure that an argument could be made that a bad man armed with a machete is a lot less of a threat than a bad man with a pistol with a 13 round magazine.  Who needs a magazine over 5 rounds anyway?

I don't want to carry a knife with a blade over a foot long. Something like the Cold Steel Magnum Tanto XII (12 inch) with an overall length of 17 & 5/8 inches would be the limit of what I might want to carry. So far I haven't heard anyone else say they wanted to carry a knife with a blade over 12 inches either. That's why I'm okay with it. If the government wants to keep people from carrying something that no one wants to carry in the first place, I'm not worried about them interfering with our rights. But maybe I'm wrong.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 11:44:17 AM »
I don't want to carry a knife with a blade over a foot long. Something like the Cold Steel Magnum Tanto XII (12 inch) with an overall length of 17 & 5/8 inches would be the limit of what I might want to carry. So far I haven't heard anyone else say they wanted to carry a knife with a blade over 12 inches either. That's why I'm okay with it. If the government wants to keep people from carrying something that no one wants to carry in the first place, I'm not worried about them interfering with our rights. But maybe I'm wrong.

So you are ok with folks who only want to own a shotgun for skeet shooting being ok with outlawing pistols and rifles?

BTW, I remember a "scene" from the book "Glory Road" by Robert Heinlein, where the "hero" returns to earth and is wearing the sword he used to fight the bad guys in the story...and it hassled by the cops...
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 03:52:32 PM »
So you are ok with folks who only want to own a shotgun for skeet shooting being ok with outlawing pistols and rifles?

BTW, I remember a "scene" from the book "Glory Road" by Robert Heinlein, where the "hero" returns to earth and is wearing the sword he used to fight the bad guys in the story...and it hassled by the cops...

I never said anything about machetes, magazine capacity, shotguns, skeet shooting, pistols, rifles, or anything else, other than knives and swords. If you think I did you should go back and read my posts again. BTW, I haven't met anyone yet who said they wanted to carry a sword around town.

I own a copy of Glory Road but don't remember Jack about it. I should read it again if I ever get caught up with my other books.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1421
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2018, 09:03:18 AM »
I never said anything about machetes, magazine capacity, shotguns, skeet shooting, pistols, rifles, or anything else, other than knives and swords. If you think I did you should go back and read my posts again. BTW, I haven't met anyone yet who said they wanted to carry a sword around town.

I own a copy of Glory Road but don't remember Jack about it. I should read it again if I ever get caught up with my other books.

At least no one sane! :P Never bring a sword to a gun fight.

The only reason to carry a sword around is to draw attention to yourself. At least that is all I could think of.
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2018, 02:18:49 PM »
At least no one sane! :P Never bring a sword to a gun fight.

The only reason to carry a sword around is to draw attention to yourself. At least that is all I could think of.

Hypothetically speaking, someone might walk across the street and 2 houses down while carrying a sword in it's scabbard, to show it to his neighbors. Not that I know anyone who would do such a thing.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 12:14:36 AM »

Timothy

Texas to legalise switchblade carry....
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2018, 02:48:22 PM »
Hypothetically speaking, someone might walk across the street and 2 houses down while carrying a sword in it's scabbard, to show it to his neighbors. Not that I know anyone who would do such a thing.

My brother probably would!

He’s a retired Naval officer..I know he’s got a sword!

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2018, 05:05:23 PM »
The question isn't really about what the item is...and if you or anyone would carry one, it't about the justification used to go along with the banning or restriction.

Just because you would not carry something and don't know any one that does  is not a good standard for banning or restriction.

What justification precedents you allow for one item can logically and reasonably be use for any item.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2018, 10:19:30 PM »
After already being limited to a 3" blade I wouldn't complain about my rights being restricted if it suddenly changed to no blades over 12".

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2018, 09:49:03 AM »
After already being limited to a 3" blade I wouldn't complain about my rights being restricted if it suddenly changed to no blades over 12".

That would be a move in the right direction...and I have no objection in getting our "Rights" back a bit at a time...
—Patrick Henry

— Daniel Webster

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2018, 04:28:21 PM »
Ideally there would be no restrictions on what side arms you can carry whether it's a pistol, dagger, sword, or whatever.

In Michigan it's illegal to use any knife with a blade over three inches long against another person with unlawful intent to harm them. I think unlawful intent is assumed by a lot of cops, or, like many other laws, they just don't know what the law is. I just read that switchblades are legal in Michigan since last October, but there are still too many restriction on knives.

A person shall not carry a dagger, dirk, stiletto, a double-edged non-folding stabbing instrument of any length, or any other dangerous weapon, except a hunting knife adapted and carried as such, concealed on or about his or her person, or whether concealed or otherwise in any vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business or on other land possessed by the person.

I could carry a hunting knife while hunting, but couldn't transport it in a vehicle. Where I used to hunt was a 2 hour drive away. So, it's a helluva long walk to the hunting grounds, and I better not get stopped along the way.

Michigan law prohibits a person from carrying a dagger, dirk, stiletto, or a double-edged, non-folding stabbing instrument of any length.  The prohibition on “double-edged non-folding stabbing instrument of any length” means that, although automatics are now legal, an out-the-front double edged automatic would be prohibited under the amended statute. A double edged spear point knife cannot be carried in Michigan. A spear point knife with an unsharpened false edge is not technically double-edged, but it might be classified as a dirk or dagger by a prosecutor.

The way the old law was written spring-assisted knives were illegal too. It looks like the new law doesn't apply to gravity knives. A long time ago I wanted a German paratrooper gravity knife, but didn't want to go to prison for a felony offense. Under the law they must be seen as more dangerous than switchblades. This needs to change. I still want one. https://german-knife-shop.com/product/eickhorn-rt1-tac-ll80-paratrooper-gravity-knife/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk