Author Topic: Best guns to defend your business  (Read 12966 times)

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Best guns to defend your business
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2014, 06:54:08 PM »
I'm not a big fan of shotguns for non shotgun people (if that makes sense)...  my suggestion would be for a Ruger Mini 14 with a quality dot scope (Trijicon RMR) mounted forward on the gas block like a Scout rifle... if political correctness is more important than volume of fire, a 16" Trapper length Marlin lever rifle in .357mag

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2014, 06:59:46 PM »
...... a 16" Trapper length Marlin lever rifle in .357mag

A friend is a big fan of the .357 lever.  I helped him load some .38 Short Colt cases with flat nose bullets at near .357 levels.  He can get a lot more rounds in the magazine.

WARNING:  This trick was done by professionals, using professional gear and on a closed course.  Do not attempt this at home.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2014, 07:04:38 PM »
Don't know which is better/worse.

Non-Shotgun people using shotguns or  non-rifle people using rifles.

As stated only one of the 5 defenders has any shooting experience and it is limited.

For the few nights I'd look to use lasers so the untrained would just need to pull the trigger when the laser dot was on target.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2014, 09:09:53 PM »
after the Columbine Tragedy,a high school principal (and fellow USPSA shooter) and I were discussing options to arm teachers... we settled on a short barreled lever gun in .357/38spl, with a multi source dot like the Trijicon Tripower.... our reasoning was that it's operation was fairly intuitive (if you have ever watched a Western).... minimum recoil and muzzle blast... sufficient stopping power... with a relatively high hit probability of a specific target in a crowded arena

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2014, 09:52:00 AM »
Not a fan of lever guns.  Too easy to short stroke under pressure.

JMHOFWIW

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 08:44:03 AM »

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2014, 10:28:06 AM »
after the Columbine Tragedy,a high school principal (and fellow USPSA shooter) and I were discussing options to arm teachers... we settled on a short barreled lever gun in .357/38spl, with a multi source dot like the Trijicon Tripower.... our reasoning was that it's operation was fairly intuitive (if you have ever watched a Western).... minimum recoil and muzzle blast... sufficient stopping power... with a relatively high hit probability of a specific target in a crowded arena

In this situation, the targets/defenders are not intermixed.  The defenders will be away from the glass entry points in some what of a tight group. 

If they are overrun with enough looters to cause worry over a friendly fire incident, they have lost already..

This is a defensive position and you are waiting for intruders to enter your field of fire, which stops at just inside the building, so over penetration and the longer range of a missed shot with rifle rounds could be a problem.

Handguns are out as the primary arm.  You have heard it said, and may have said it, many time that a handgun is what you use to fight your way to a long gun.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Ranger Dave

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2014, 06:00:16 PM »
No matter which route they go, it all comes down to learning how to use the chosen platform.

Ranger Dave

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2014, 12:06:09 PM »
No matter which route they go, it all comes down to learning how to use the chosen platform.

Ranger Dave

No doubt about that...but the OP eliminates that as a possibility due to time constraints....riots and looting is happening now.
—Patrick Henry

— Daniel Webster

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk