Author Topic: Mosin-Nagant Project  (Read 26814 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
Re: Mosin-Nagant Project
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2014, 01:40:27 PM »
Went to a hobby store today.   I should have called before hand, but I wanted to go look around.  After having perused the aisles I asked where the small screws and taps were.  The clerk pointed me over to a display.  I have never seen so many, teeny-tiny machine screws.  Obviously for very serious model makers.  Did you know the size gets so small, they just call them "0" (zero)?  And, yeah they had  appropriately sized taps, dies, screw drivers, wrenches and nut drivers.  Ended up ordering what I wanted from Tower Hobbies.  Be a week more.

In the meantime, I took the rifle to the range, along with AR pistol.   Everyone there thought it was a neat project, though one fella was upset I had cut down the barrel on a hexagonal receiver.  (Hey, barrels can be replaced.)   Everyone also warned about the earth shattering, seismic event alarming, and blinding muzzle flash.  Wrong.  It was pleasant to shoot.  Less loud than my 16" .308.  And a lot less flash than a some ARs I've seen.   Did it standing and was using Winchester soft point ammo.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2014, 06:43:44 PM »
Went to a hobby store today.   I should have called before hand, but I wanted to go look around.  After having perused the aisles I asked where the small screws and taps were.  The clerk pointed me over to a display.  I have never seen so many, teeny-tiny machine screws.  Obviously for very serious model makers.  Did you know the size gets so small, they just call them "0" (zero)?  And, yeah they had  appropriately sized taps, dies, screw drivers, wrenches and nut drivers.  Ended up ordering what I wanted from Tower Hobbies.  Be a week more.

In the meantime, I took the rifle to the range, along with AR pistol.   Everyone there thought it was a neat project, though one fella was upset I had cut down the barrel on a hexagonal receiver.  (Hey, barrels can be replaced.)   Everyone also warned about the earth shattering, seismic event alarming, and blinding muzzle flash.  Wrong.  It was pleasant to shoot.  Less loud than my 16" .308.  And a lot less flash than a some ARs I've seen.   Did it standing and was using Winchester soft point ammo.

That is a surprise.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2014, 10:16:40 AM »
That is a surprise.

It's objective, viewed from behind the action.   Standing along side most any rifle isn't that pleasant.  So no in reality it's probably louder and brighter.

Built a jig for the drilling. DON'T LAUGH.  Waiting on the tap and drill to come in from Tower Hobby.  Then I'll take this to the floor model drill press at work.

Will work for ammo

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2014, 02:07:25 PM »
Careful with the drill depth...don't wanna blow through and make a temporary gas port.  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

tombogan03884

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2014, 02:14:13 PM »
You also do not want to dimple the inside of the barrel with either the drill or the tap.
If it can happen on a CNCed Thompson Center Black Powder barrel it can definitely happen hand tapping a modern (more or less) barrel.
Since you already ordered your tap if it is not specifically a "bottoming tap" the first thing you want to do is grind off almost all the point of the tap. If you don't you will not get enough depth and you WILL drive a dimple into the bore.
Also, GO SLOW and use LOTS of tapping fluid !!!
 How do you plan to get a broken tap out of the hole ?
 GO SLOW and use LOTS of tapping fluid !!!

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 06:14:48 AM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2014, 04:16:37 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys.  I ordered two taps.  Depending on the taper I will grind only some of the first one.  I still want it to function as a "starter".  The second one I will cut/grind far enough to make a true blind tap.  Only plan on going half way through the barrel.  I ordered a package of 20 screws of varying lengths.  Worse case is I might have to grind one of those down some to get exactly the right depth. 

Ah, broken tap.  One reason I cut the barrel to 18" is so if I screw up too badly, I can cut it shorter and start over. ;)

Tower Hobby is using slow boat so I may not see my shipment until next Monday.   I'm hoping the shippers have gone into double time for the holidays and I'll show up this week.
Will work for ammo

tombogan03884

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2014, 08:46:10 AM »
On broken taps.
If you are using fluted cutting taps you can drop a couple of small pins into the flutes and grip them with pliers to turn out the broken piece. Make sure you clean out the hole afterwards so the new tap doesn't hit a piece of the old one and break.
If you are using round roll taps, well, you have that extra 1 1/2 inch of barrel.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2014, 11:34:13 AM »
for small taps I always recommend solid carbide.  that way if you do snap on you can shatter it with a punch.

let's just say that's one of those lessons I've had to learn the hard way over and over and over again ;D
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2014, 07:07:32 AM »
So it's done, except for adapting the original sling.    At work they had sold the floor model drill press and had a cheapie table model.    I did the best I could with it, but the hole isn't perfectly centered.   The tap, a fluted one, 3mm, was a little shaky getting started.  Of course it took me a day to find my tap handle.  Once I got it to bite straight in, I'd take a 1/8 of turn forward then back it out a little.  Cutting a little at a time and clearing the shavings.  When it bottomed out, I ground off the tapered part and continued on in for another couple of mils.  Glad I order a variety pack of 3mm screws.  One fit perfectly, lengthwise.   Then I de-greased the top of the gun and under the sight and used Bondo epoxy.  Tightened it all down.   Not perfect, but I think it'll be fine out to 100yds.  The gun mounts well and provides a good sight picture and cheek weld.  I took the vertical adjustment off the rear sight to lower it some.  Once I get to the range, I'll be able to tell whether it's needed or not.      After the sling, only thing left is to wipe it down, fill the magazine and put it in the safe.

(Sorry the picture is fuzzy.  In a hurry this morning and took it hand held.)

TA DA
An inexpensive (~$125) .30 cal emergency blaster gun that uses cheap ammo.  (For another $100 I put away 440 rounds in a sealed container.)   Only question is do I put it in the safe or tuck it in the pantry or on top of the bookshelf in the den?

Will work for ammo

tombogan03884

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2014, 09:41:45 AM »
Looks good, let us know how it shoots .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk