Author Topic: Thinking of A 308  (Read 10837 times)

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Thinking of A 308
« on: December 23, 2015, 08:57:01 AM »
Hi everyone...I've been thinking of getting a .308 just for target shooting, and maybe a hog hunt at some point. I don't want to spend a mint, I'm not really enamoured of the 308 in AR platform either. I've been looking at lower end bolt guns, but I think that semi auto would be fun and more practical if the hunt goes off. But...I'm not sure there are many options there.
Anyone have any ideas?
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
Re: Thinking of A 308
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 11:32:27 AM »
I wanted a bolt action .308 and ended up with the MVP.  Not a favorite of their bolt design, but the good side is that M14 magazines are compatable.   It's a scout rifle, but with the scope mount set back over the bolt, which I prefer. 

If you like the true "Scout" concept there's the Ruger.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 01:06:05 PM »
If you want a semi-auto the M1A comes in a half dozen varieties. http://www.springfield-armory.com/m1a-series/
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 02:39:20 PM »
If you want a semi-auto the M1A comes in a half dozen varieties. http://www.springfield-armory.com/m1a-series/
Yeah Jumbo, NICE.  Probably a little more price than I can handle since I've been buying new knees for my dog like they're doggie biscuits. I've always wanted one too. I have to check the NJ gun nazi regs on that one too.

Is 7.62/.308 the same deal as 5.6/.223, where you can shoot the American caliber through the NATO gun but not the other way around?

www.bluebone.net

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 03:14:31 PM »
7.62has thicker brass than 308.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:31:56 AM »

brushmore

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 03:38:55 PM »
I have a Tikka T3 lite in .308 and it's a fantastic rifle.  The recoil was a bit sharp until I put on a limbsaver but now it's a real pleasure to shoot.  It easily shoots sub one inch groups at 100 yds off the bench.  I picked that after going to the gun store and "trying on" a bunch of rifles.  That and the Ruger scout were my favorites but I went with the Tikka because of price and since I was looking for primarily a hunting rifle the reduced weight was a big plus.

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 04:55:52 PM »
7.62has thicker brass than 308.
So they are NOT interchangeable like .223?

www.bluebone.net

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 06:49:49 PM »
You can shoot .308 in a 7.62mm but you shouldn't shoot 7.62 in a .308. That's what I always heard anyway. The NATO round has higher pressure.

ETA: I guess I got it backward. Wikipedia says the .308 has higher pressure but lists them both as the same maximum. One thing I heard was not to shoot .308 in an M1A in certain bullet weights or it will bend the operating rod but someone else says its okay to use any .308. I've heard both sides of the debate for years but does anyone really know?
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2015, 07:08:27 PM »
I looked at Wikipedia again and their best advice was this. While the debate goes both ways, the ATF recommends checking the stamping on the barrel; if one is unsure, one can consult the maker of the firearm.

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2015, 07:24:16 AM »
Thanks. It sounds to me like it's a similar situation to the 5.56/.223 situation, where there are warnings etc., then other people saying "bah, humbug".
308 is plentiful and I'll eventually load it, so I guess I would just stick with that anyway.

www.bluebone.net

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk