Author Topic: Thinking of A 308  (Read 10839 times)

tombogan03884

Re: Thinking of A 308
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2015, 08:19:45 AM »
Best bet is same as the smaller caliber, shoot what it's marked for.
Keep in mind that there is no such thing as surplus 308 while you can get surplus 7.62 .
Also, most semi auto rifles will be military style chambered in 7.62 .
Another thing to keep in mind is that semi auto's will be sensitive about bullet weight, a heavier bullet can result in bent or broken parts.

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2015, 09:20:38 AM »
Jay, you might want to look at the Remington 750,It's a very soft shooting semi and larger magazines should be available for it.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2015, 10:48:47 AM »
Thanks I'll check it out.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2015, 11:22:12 AM »
I will ditto the Tikka T3s.   I owned a Lite and it was a sweet shooter.  A very smooth action.  I hardily recommend it for a conventional configured bolt action.  They also now make a scout/tactical model as well.  Only draw back is limited magazine availability.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2015, 01:50:49 PM »
The Remington 750 looks good and comes in synthetic or wood stocked rifles and carbines. The American walnut stock and fore-end will cost you an extra $120. It seem logical that the thicker brass on the 7.62 would have slightly reduced capacity. How this causes lower pressure than the .308 instead of higher pressure is still a mystery to me.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 07:33:44 AM »

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2015, 08:53:34 PM »
I'm with Frank.  I like the Remington 750.  There is the Browning BAR...but I like the feel of the Remington better.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2015, 10:21:39 PM »
My dad had a .30-06 Remington 740 and it was a good gun that he used to take deer when he wasn't shooting his Winchester .30-30. High capacity mags were made for it and I bet they are for the 750 which seems to be an improved version of the 740 series. The BAR is a nice looking gun too but the ones I looked at were more expensive than the Remingtons. BARs are also available in magnum calibers so they should be built pretty solid but I always liked the looks of Remingtons. I don't know how either one handles but that would make a difference too.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

tombogan03884

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2015, 06:20:58 AM »

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2015, 08:07:58 AM »
FNAR would be nice, or an H&K 91 maybe even better, but both more money than I'm prepared to spend now. I may end up at a Cabela's or something, shuffling through their used racks.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

tombogan03884

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2015, 08:26:12 AM »
DON'T GET SUCKED INTO ONE OF THOSE CENTURY CETME'S.
They SUCK!
The guns are fine, but the sights were put on by drunk monkey's. You can not adjust them enough to get on paper and they are welded on.

Alf would know better, but I THOUGHT I saw some one like Winchester selling theFNAR under another name for about 2/3 the price.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk