Author Topic: Related hobbies?  (Read 20945 times)

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
Re: Related hobbies?
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2017, 07:39:17 AM »
a couple of years before 1965, the price of a Corvette was $4000, and I remember thinking that if I managed to get a job paying $1000/mo, I could afford that Corvette and still be able to live nice.

Way back in 1965 I worked as a bag boy for Bill's Ranch Market.  Part-time work allowed me to clear about $20/week.  I remember telling my dad that if I could just make another $5 per week my financial difficulties would be over. 

Dad told me an absolute truth that day:  Son, you will find it always takes just a little bit more than you make to live.

I have done pretty well over the intervening years, but it has always seemed just a little more would solve my economic woes.

Another truth is this:  It's always easier to get used to making more than it is to get used to making less.  And that's the challenge of retirement.

FWIW,
Crusader Rabbit
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2017, 08:32:01 AM »
Rastus... I give a small scholarship ($500) to a student athlete yearly in my Dad's name... when I started 26 years ago it was $300 and would pay for books for a semester....today, probably for only one class

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 559
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2017, 07:48:09 PM »
That scholarship is a really good thing to do.  I am really glad you brought that up.  I'm thinking I'd like to do that back home as well. 

Crusader....you are so right. 

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 444
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2021, 12:52:37 PM »
<What?   It's only been 4 years since this came up.>

CQ CQ CQ de W4ADS

Okay, I got a couple of 20m hamsticks on the cheap and tried fashioning a dipole.  No luck.  Couldn't get them to both tune properly.  I ended up just putting one hamstick to the top of my  humongous 20' tower as a vertical.    Tunes right on and has low SWR but it doesn't hear or transmit very well.

BUT AT LEAST and AT LAST I'm on the air.   Got the SignaLink USB digital interface and am now running FT8, as well as the other digital modes.  Using WSJT-X for FT8, DigiPan for FSK31 and have just started playing with HamScope.

Got to say FT8 is sort of a cheat.  You click on a station calling CQ, enable transmit and the software handles the QSO.  13 characters at a time.  It'll even automatically log it for you.   No chit-chat, just signal strength and grid square, 73-thank-you-CQ.  Rather less than satisfactory QSO, though I've logged a contact or two a day. 

SO IF YOU WANT TO TRY A QSO I'm game.  Since I don't "reach out" well and only have 20m it'll be limited.  Probably FT8.

Alf - W4ADS
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1384
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2021, 02:59:13 PM »
<What?   It's only been 4 years since this came up.>

CQ CQ CQ de W4ADS

Alf - W4ADS

You are ahead of me. I have a Yaesu FT100d, Yaesu FT847, numerous mobiles... Since I have moved (2 years ago) I haven't hooked any of them up......

Shame on me.
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 09:04:57 PM »

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 559
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2021, 08:19:12 AM »
Alf that's great.  I have a 75' loop for 20M hanging in a tree as close to a circle as I can make it with the bottom 4-5' off the ground.  I feed it with 450 ohm ladder line on the side (parallel to the ground) to get vertical polarization.  If you feed it for vertical polarization you don't have to get off the ground for it to work well.  I am using an antenna tuner in the house and can tune in and use it for 80, 40, 15 and 10M.  It's the best antenna I've ever had for 20.

J. it's time to get your skyhooks up.  Museum ships weekend is just around the corner.

KE5JDJ
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

sammy00

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2021, 06:38:10 AM »
My hobby is 3D printing and I spend a lot of time on it.I also want to create my own YouTube channel about 3D printing. But for the last six months I've been putting it off because there were a lot of problems besides. But maybe in the new year I will do it. I still want to buy a new 3D printer, a more professional one, and a good camera to shoot video.

tombogan03884

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2021, 08:06:53 AM »
My hobby is 3D printing and I spend a lot of time on it.I also want to create my own YouTube channel about 3D printing. But for the last six months I've been putting it off because there were a lot of problems besides. But maybe in the new year I will do it. I still want to buy a new 3D printer, a more professional one, and a good camera to shoot video.

I just started getting into that, Printing, not YT.
Thank God for CHEP, He got me through a couple WTF moments    ;D
Thingiverse has 1:1 functional models of a Luger, an MP 40, and several other guns that I want to make..

DanPatWork

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2021, 10:08:25 PM »
Reading through this thread, it seems to me that most of us share the same hobby of learning....... I've collected more hobbies than I will ever have time for.

Shooting, reloading, hunting, fishing, auto mechanic(used to be a living), pc programming, 2-way radio (CB and SSB have to add ham one of these days), cooking, cast iron restoration, wood carving, leather-work, plastic modeling, rc-cars, and most recently homebrewing.

I know there are others, but like I said, more than I have time for.
"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 444
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2021, 09:25:35 AM »
Reading through this thread, it seems to me that most of us share the same hobby of learning.......

I think you're right DanPat.  Most of us hear like to dabble with one thing or another.   We're not afraid to learn new tricks.
We're not afraid to pick something up and figure out how it works.   I think it's one quality that's missing in some of the newer generations.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk