Author Topic: When is a rifle not a rifle?  (Read 9131 times)

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Re: When is a rifle not a rifle?
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2018, 04:58:12 PM »
Old idea.  I believe it was originally called a Blunderbuss.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018, 02:19:57 PM »
While on the legality subject, one of my anti-gun friends posted one of the videos showing a guy cutting up his AR.   Without stepping into the politics, I pointed out the guy had only cut the barrel and fore-end,  that the "gun", the lower was still intact.  Also the gun would still fire, albeit single action.   

BUT, the big no-no was he had just illegally converted his  AR into an SBR.  A gun design that by law is viewed as more dangerous than its previous configuration.
don't you just love it when idiots post videos of themselves ommitng felonies
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 865
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 08:10:16 AM »
Just came across this thread and read it:

Just because you can doesn't mean you should!

An example of people trying to make products that skirt the law, and the government wasting time trying to figure out what it is and isn't.  Even worse, we are spending time debating smooth, rifle twist, no rifle twist, accuracy, want, don't want, ...

The neat thing about the internet and all the "stuff" on here, but the thing I often forget, is that there is an OFF button.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1071
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2018, 10:40:33 PM »
Just came across this thread and read it:

Just because you can doesn't mean you should!

An example of people trying to make products that skirt the law, and the government wasting time trying to figure out what it is and isn't.  Even worse, we are spending time debating smooth, rifle twist, no rifle twist, accuracy, want, don't want, ...

The neat thing about the internet and all the "stuff" on here, but the thing I often forget, is that there is an OFF button.

For once I totally disagree with you. You call it skirting the law. I call it conforming to the law. Since we can only own firearms that our government allows us to own, I say the more types we can own, and the less restrictions on us to buy them, the better. I'm not rushing out to buy one of these non-rifle firearms, just like I haven't bought a 14" barreled 12 gauge non-shotgun firearm. I may buy one of each, but now that I see some of my fellow firearms owners are against us being allowed to own these firearms, I'll wait and see what happens. Their status may change, like those super-dangerous destructive devices known as street sweepers. Heaven forbid we're allowed to own firearms that don't conform to your opinion of what we should own, or that don't fit some bureaucrat's definition of sporting purposes.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2018, 08:22:27 PM »
There's not enough recoil with my 7" AR pistol to need to shoulder it, and if I did shoulder it in a SHTF moment, that is the least of my concerns.
With a foam pad around the buffer tube, I get a perfect cheek weld on the pad that aligns my eye perfectly with the green dot in the scope. With a solid push/pull two handed grip and a good cheek weld, I have no issues with double, triple, quad taps and 20 rd mag dumps.

As others have said, YMMV........just offering an opinion based on what works for me.

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 07:06:01 AM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2018, 11:44:05 PM »
While on the legality subject, one of my anti-gun friends posted one of the videos showing a guy cutting up his AR.   Without stepping into the politics, I pointed out the guy had only cut the barrel and fore-end,  that the "gun", the lower was still intact.  Also the gun would still fire, albeit single action.   

BUT, the big no-no was he had just illegally converted his  AR into an SBR.  A gun design that by law is viewed as more dangerous than its previous configuration.

That seems to be a popular thing to do these days. But it must be okay if no one is getting arrested for it, like this woman running for Congress. If they can get away with it, then I should be able to make my own SBR instead of buying an expensive not-a-rifle. Feel free to notify the ATF tip line about her crime. https://www.atf.gov/atf-tips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUpHiY1njkE
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1421
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2018, 01:15:38 PM »
I do NOT know what will come of it but the ATF did announce they were going to investigate this particular case.
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2019, 10:15:44 PM »
I do NOT know what will come of it but the ATF did announce they were going to investigate this particular case.

Yes. Finally.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2020, 12:37:48 AM »
The ATF has now decided that the Reformation is not a rifle as defined in the GCA and NFA. And because it's not chambered for shotgun shells, it is not a shotgun as defined in the NFA. But it is classified as a shotgun that is subject to the provisions of the GCA. So it's an SBS that's not even a shotgun, and no one can transfer them except from dealer to dealer. We'll see where this goes now. The way everyone uses pistol braces for stocks, why not just let us put stocks on pistols and not make these? I'm surprised pistol braces that can be shouldered haven't been banned. Or all AR type pistols.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk