Author Topic: The Ruger Charger...will this work?  (Read 24959 times)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
Re: The Ruger Charger...will this work?
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2018, 08:59:44 AM »
I've also seen videos and statements, as well as one letter sent to a lawyer and posted on his website stating that if the OAL is over 26" then you can use the VFG on a "pistol" because then it is a "firearm" I guess in the same manner they judge these new short barreled shotguns everyone is fawning over.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2018, 10:15:40 PM »
If it's going to be over 26" you may as well have a 10/22 with a folding stock. Mine has a muzzle brake/compensator on it and with the stock folded measures 27" to the front of the front sight. The muzzle probably extends 1/8" past that, and it's a standard 18.5" barrel. It shortens the OAL by about 10", from the factory OAL of 37". Other folding stocks may be a little shorter than that. I had to get a pistol permit for my 10/22 because it's shorter than 30" with the stock folded. It's a stupid law we may only have here in Michigan. I got a pistol permit for a shotgun and a pellet gun the same day.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Dirty Bob

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Usual Suspect
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2018, 02:44:50 PM »
I didn't find a document, but in the NFA forum on another site, someone reminded the group that an ATF opinion letter can be subject to change, as it is not actual regulation or law. My understanding has been what was stated above: if it's under 26", no vertical foregrip without a tax stamp. I've been looking at the Magpul AFG-2 angled foregrip with hand stop, but I may just put a small light on the bottom rail, instead.

I have no idea "how vertical is vertical," but I've seen those Magpul AFG-2s on a lot of builds. I like that a light or an AFG is more streamlined than any vertical grip and less likely to snag on things.

Regards,
Dirty Bob
-------------
Maker, tinkerer, general nerd

"Can't stop the signal, Mal." - Serenity (2005)

Timothy

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2018, 03:13:59 PM »
Not an SBR guy, not a black rifle guy, not a lawyer!

Regardless of what the interweb says, it’s our responsibility to do our due diligence and get the facts from the appropriate agencies!

Get the facts, cite the law, get the info from Unca Sam’s agency!

Dirty Bob

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Usual Suspect
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2018, 03:58:19 PM »
Not an SBR guy, not a black rifle guy, not a lawyer!

Regardless of what the interweb says, it’s our responsibility to do our due diligence and get the facts from the appropriate agencies!

Get the facts, cite the law, get the info from Unca Sam’s agency!
Really good advice.

I'd rather err on the side of caution. One potential source for a copy of an ATF letter is the manufacturer. When I bought my Shockwave Blade arm brace, it came with a letter from ATF.

Ultimately, however, Timothy is right: we're each responsible to get the facts ourselves.

Dirty Bob
-------------
Maker, tinkerer, general nerd

"Can't stop the signal, Mal." - Serenity (2005)

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 02:58:54 AM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2018, 04:59:45 PM »
I didn't find a document, but in the NFA forum on another site, someone reminded the group that an ATF opinion letter can be subject to change, as it is not actual regulation or law. My understanding has been what was stated above: if it's under 26", no vertical foregrip without a tax stamp. I've been looking at the Magpul AFG-2 angled foregrip with hand stop, but I may just put a small light on the bottom rail, instead.

I have no idea "how vertical is vertical," but I've seen those Magpul AFG-2s on a lot of builds. I like that a light or an AFG is more streamlined than any vertical grip and less likely to snag on things.

Regards,
Dirty Bob

Exactly. An opinion letter is one person's opinion. They may change their mind later, or their replacement may have a different opinion. And even if it's okay in their opinion, your local police, state's Attorney General, etc., may have different opinions, and let's face it, you don't have to do anything illegal to get arrested. As I already know from personal experience, many police officers don't have a clue about firearms laws. I would hate to sit in jail waiting for someone to figure out what the law actually says, or an official opinion if their is no law.

Of all the fore grips Magpul makes, the AFG-2 is the only one that comes in Foliage Green. The other 5 models come in 4 colors but that one comes in 5 colors.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Timothy

The Ruger Charger...will this work?
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2018, 05:09:54 PM »
let's face it, you don't have to do anything illegal to get arrested.

BINGO!

Ignorance of the law isn’t a crime but can be costly to defend!

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2018, 07:58:26 AM »
in playing with the Charger, the vertical fore grip problem is probably a non issue... it is very easy to point... I shoot my rifles and shotguns with three fingers of my support hand rolled under the fore end, thumb over, and index finger pointing at target... with the heavy circular inner reticle of the Vortex Spitfire, that I don't really care for as it is pretty "busy" with my eye close, actually works very well when extended... at 25yd it covers the A zone of a USPSA target, and at 12 yd it covers the head... double taps as soon as the dot comes on target... I had a new range officer watching me very closely...kindly old man that I am

I did replace the polymer trigger group with an older aluminum version spare I built for the STC...

Bob... if you get the Charger, you really need to modify the bolt release by removing the detent peak, so you can release the bolt catch by just retracting the bolt handle slightly... there are some pretty good vids on youtube...

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2018, 02:02:47 AM »
I don't know how long YouTube has been around but I've had a computer a far less time than my 10/22, so I bought a quick-release bolt latch to replace the factory bolt lock, as I think it was called. I only saw them advertised in one catalog and it was only in stainless steel at the time. It looks out of place on my 40 year old Ruger, but not much shows so I don't worry about it. I may have tried modifying the old one and messing it up at some point.

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2018, 08:10:47 AM »
Jumbo... yeah... we had to do it the trial and trial again method in the mid 90's.... there weren't a lot of goodies for the 10/22 when building the STC guns in the mid 90s... I built my own fixture to re cut the hammer sear notch... you were able, however, to actually talk to people like Mr. Jim Clark Sr, Ken Tapp, and David Tubb  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk